SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Post-Season Format

MafiaMan

UND and Minnesota should just take turns hosting at the X every year. That way it's guaranteed there's a close regional. I'm also up for UND hosting at Scheels Arena because 5,000 people would still be able to compete for most attended regional.

It would be quite a bit lower than many of the Eastern regionals but would still be about 1500+ more than the last few years of almost all of the West and Midwest regionals. I think it would surprise people out East how many people would be there for those games as opposed to the current sites.

The other problem with your plan is that no Minnesota Legislator with any school in their district or nearby would allow an out-of-state team to host there over their in-state school. They would possibly even push for laws to be in place to prevent it. Isn't there already rules in place that high school events have to be played in a Minnesota city, so that it can hurt teams in EGF, Moorhead and Breckenridge (among others I'm sure) that they can't host in the nicest and largest arenas "inside" their city based on the fact that it is across the river and in ND or another state?

What would be really funny to watch, is UND hosting the West Regional in Fargo with Minnesota hosting the Midwest Regional in Minneapolis. The east coasters would blow up

I think it would be absolutely hilarious to hear their arguments because to me they would fall on deaf ears based on the facts that over the past 5 years and including next year the regionals are at most 190 miles apart (Bridgeport to Manchester in 2008 and 2011) and as little as 100 miles apart (Providence to Manchester in 2013). While the distance would be 245 miles from Fargo to St. Paul.

I would argue that this would include almost all coaches that are already highly likely to already be placed in "home" regionals ala BC, as many of you know have had an average travel distance of ~100 miles for the last 12 years or so. But this would be for ANY Eastern team in so far that the travel distances for many of the places that currently host regionals are only several hours driving from their school and so every year you have around a 50% chance (2 regionals in East and Northeast) that are close to your school. And also by not supporting campus sites it gives a higher guarantee that you won't be playing in front of 9k+ extremely biased fans of some school out in the West.

I used Minnesota as an example...Michigan, BU, and BC would be others...

What would be really funny to watch, is UND hosting the West Regional in Fargo with Minnesota hosting the Midwest Regional in Minneapolis. The east coasters would blow up

I never thought of that one, then you have the chance of a beloved B.C. having to travel to the Scheels or Xcel to get beat.

It would be quite a bit lower than many of the Eastern regionals but would still be about 1500+ more than the last few years of almost all of the West and Midwest regionals. I think it would surprise people out East how many people would be there for those games as opposed to the current sites.

The other problem with your plan is that no Minnesota Legislator with any school in their district or nearby would allow an out-of-state team to host there over their in-state school. They would possibly even push for laws to be in place to prevent it. Isn't there already rules in place that high school events have to be played in a Minnesota city, so that it can hurt teams in EGF, Moorhead and Breckenridge (among others I'm sure) that they can't host in the nicest and largest arenas "inside" their city based on the fact that it is across the river and in ND or another state?

I think it would be absolutely hilarious to hear their arguments because to me they would fall on deaf ears based on the facts that over the past 5 years and including next year the regionals are at most 190 miles apart (Bridgeport to Manchester in 2008 and 2011) and as little as 100 miles apart (Providence to Manchester in 2013). While the distance would be 245 miles from Fargo to St. Paul.

The state does not own either the X or the Target Center. This would be a deal between 2 privately owned sites dealing with another operation. High school sports are a different matter. They could try and stop it but they would lose in court so fast and they know it.

It would be nice if UNO bid for the MidWest and DU or Air Force bid for the West. Would Air Force be able to host it at the World Arena in Colorado Springs? It's an off-campus arena however it's the home arena for CC.

The state does not own either the X or the Target Center. This would be a deal between 2 privately owned sites dealing with another operation. High school sports are a different matter. They could try and stop it but they would lose in court so fast and they know it.

OK I will give you that point in that there is no law in place or could be put in place with any legal standing but you are saying that there is no way that political pressure could be put onto the arenas to try and persuade them to look at bids from home state teams before UND? Those same legislators could put public and political pressure on them and always dissent in any vote that would give public funding to the arenas. There are many other ways to "force" the arenas to do what you would like them to do as well.

That's a reach. I'm pretty sure Indiana wouldn't want its high school basketball championships decided in Chicago (which is closer to folks in northern Indiana than Indianapolis is) and football fans in Oklahoma wouldn't exactly be fond of championship weekend being played in Dallas, TX.

They should. Heaven knows how many millions of taxpayer dollars went towards building both buildings...nevermind the new Vikings stadium and Target Field...

http://minnesota.cbs...nt-on-stadiums/

http://minneapolisof...for-renovation/

New arena in Sioux Falls will seat 10,450 for hockey, why not there?

It's about the same distance from GF as MSP is, but there aren't nearly as many UND alumni in Sioux Falls. I'd think it's another option though if politics did get in between UND and the X.

They should. Heaven knows how many millions of taxpayer dollars went towards building both buildings...nevermind the new Vikings stadium and Target Field...

http://minnesota.cbs...nt-on-stadiums/

http://minneapolisof...for-renovation/

With you on that. Don't St. Paul and Minneapolis own those arenas lock, stock, and barrel? How much did the Pohlads really even put into Target Field?

OK I will give you that point in that there is no law in place or could be put in place with any legal standing but you are saying that there is no way that political pressure could be put onto the arenas to try and persuade them to look at bids from home state teams before UND? Those same legislators could put public and political pressure on them and always dissent in any vote that would give public funding to the arenas. There are many other ways to "force" the arenas to do what you would like them to do as well.

We are assuming one would put in a bid beyond UM. But if UND put a bid in the rodents would jump on it so fast that the government would never have to do a thing. Political pressure? It would make the Spanish Inquisition look like a love fest. :lol: I really don't think either the X or Target would even consider letting UND host a regional there. They would not need to be told not to.

We are assuming one would put in a bid beyond UM. But if UND put a bid in the rodents would jump on it so fast that the government would never have to do a thing. Political pressure? It would make the Spanish Inquisition look like a love fest. :lol: I really don't think either the X or Target would even consider letting UND host a regional there. They would not need to be told not to.

Which brings up the next issue, unfair advantage of some teams always getting to host and more or less play at home. Needs to have a limit like once every 6 years.

Not exactly sure what you are trying to refer to but I do know that for football that much of section 6 and section 8 play their championship games in either the Alerus Center or the Fargodome and the state really has no problem with it.

Not exactly sure what you are trying to refer to but I do know that for football that much of section 6 and section 8 play their championship games in either the Alerus Center or the Fargodome and the state really has no problem with it.

Don't draw attention to factual information. They'll write laws. The State will not stand for this nonsense.

Probably the exception to the rule based on facilities. Who really should put in a bid to host is the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. Nice arena with great sight lines. Holds 8-9 thousand for hockey. 1,885 reasonably priced rooms in the attached hotel. Very easy to get to from anywhere in the US. Allegiant’s home base so they could easily add a flight. Best part? Cheaply priced drinks in the hotel bars
  • Upvote 1

Probably the exception to the rule based on facilities. Who really should put in a bid to host is the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. Nice arena with great sight lines. Holds 8-9 thousand for hockey. 1,885 reasonably priced rooms in the attached hotel. Very easy to get to from anywhere in the US. Allegiant’s home base so they could easily add a flight. Best part? Cheaply priced drinks in the hotel bars

Not a bad idea. CC hosted in St Louis I believe. Lets see UND host in Vegas. Or host in Seattle's soon to be NHL arena. Get them some college games

Not a bad idea. CC hosted in St Louis I believe. Lets see UND host in Vegas. Or host in Seattle's soon to be NHL arena. Get them some college games

Great thing about Vegas if they played in hat regional or not it still would be worth the trip. It is not like you would ever go to Grand Rapids or the other locations without a game to watch.

Why can't the Alerus Center or Bismarck Civic Center host? Whatever high school events they might be hosting can be moved to the Ralph. The Alerus put in a bid for the World Curling Championships and Bismarck has hosted that event.

You would never find enough hotel rooms for everyone in Bismarck right now without it being ridiculously expensive.