SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Post-Season Format

MafiaMan

OK...I will buy this if its about attendance/ atmosphere....but if the argument goes to having a best of three to try and eliminate a fluke win, I'm selling!

How about the NHL re-seeding teams after the first round...and the Kings STILL won the cup last year. You don't think this year's Yale squad would have a chance of pulling off two wins in three games in Grand Forks? I do.

A best of three series with, say, #1 North Dakota hosting #16 Yale would generate two and possibly three games of excitement in front of 10,000 fans. Or, you can reward the #1 team with a trip to Boise ID for the western regional and play one game in front of 750 fans. Which is better for the fans and the players?

750 fans, are you dilusional(sp). in boise they would be lucky to get 350 fans.

How about the NHL re-seeding teams after the first round...and the Kings STILL won the cup last year. You don't think this year's Yale squad would have a chance of pulling off two wins in three games in Grand Forks? I do.

Now you do...but going into the tournament I don't think you do. But that's not what I was talking about. One of the arguments for a best of three for the first round is so you eliminate the fluke win....I'm just saying if that's the argument let's have best of three every round.

Now you do...but going into the tournament I don't think you do. But that's not what I was talking about. One of the arguments for a best of three for the first round is so you eliminate the fluke win....I'm just saying if that's the argument let's have best of three every round.

That's not my argument.

they would have had to win two at minnesota first.

They don't win twice at Mariucci. I think the first two rounds would be better at the top seeds rink for a best of three. But what Yale did this year was awesome, going from needing help to make the tourney to beating the top three seeds and UND. Most impressive.

I think Yale would have had a very tough time winning 2 out of 3 at Mariucci, but it could have been done, no doubt. There's really no certainties in college hockey anymore

Exactly.

Hey, GFG, I am calling you out on the siouxsports.com hats. Don't you and sagard want one in maroon or yellow?

• 4 weeks later...

A few tidbits from Schlossman:

UND is hoping to bring the NCAA hockey tournament back to North Dakota.

UND athletic director Brian Faison said the school is working on putting together a bid to host a men’s hockey regional at Fargo’s Scheels Arena in 2015 or 2016.

There was a proposal at the annual Florida meetings last week to change the NCAA tournament format to allow the top eight seeds to host a best-of-three series in the first round, but it was met with resistance from a segment of coaches, Faison said.

UND also is putting together a bid for Ralph Engelstad Arena to host the Women’s Frozen Four in 2015 or 2016.

Its just sad that we can not get a regional in the midwest that is not the X and we have to host in Fargo. I would hope the NCAA in the future will make some exceptions. Its a long shot I know. BTW if they do host in Fargo that will be the hard ticket to find.

There was a proposal at the annual Florida meetings last week to change the NCAA tournament format to allow the top eight seeds to host a best-of-three series in the first round, but it was met with resistance from a segment of coaches, Faison said.

This part just stuns me. What segment of coaches could possibly be opposed to better attendance at a hockey game or weekend series?

This part just stuns me. What segment of coaches could possibly be opposed to better attendance at a hockey game or weekend series?

When you are use to playing in front of 700+ fans most nights, attendence isn't an issue for them unfortunately.

When you are use to playing in front of 700+ fans most nights, attendence isn't an issue for them unfortunately.

And if you're the coach of a team that typically plays in front of 700 fans and you finish in the top 8, you'd be opposed to 2-3 more games at home? Doesn't add up...

I think you might be suprised at the BIGGER schools who want to keep the regional format, not the smaller ones. Why would Minnesota want to risk traveling to Quinnipiac or Yale when they can host a regional in St Paul almost every year?

And if you're the coach of a team that typically plays in front of 700 fans and you finish in the top 8, you'd be opposed to 2-3 more games at home? Doesn't add up...

I think you might be suprised at the BIGGER schools who want to keep the regional format, not the smaller ones. Why would Minnesota want to risk traveling to Quinnipiac or Yale when they can host a regional in St Paul almost every year?

Lack of belief in themselves that they could win 2/3 at home.

I don't like the regional in Fargo, ND idea. It's not big enough. 5000 seats isn't a big enough arena. Edit: Might as well just go to the Xcel Energy Center, as a participant.

Edited by Goon

I don't like the regional in Fargo, ND idea. It's not big enough. 5000 seats isn't a big enough arena. Might as well just go to the Xcel Energy Center.

Fargo isn't ideal because of the smaller arena. But if it's the Xcel, then Minnesota hosts, not the Sioux. And while it's likely the NCAA would throw us both in that regional, it's also possible that the Sioux still get sent out east when there's a regional there.

If the Sioux are in the regional that might be hosted at Scheels, how is 5k seats enough?

I don't like the regional in Fargo, ND idea. It's not big enough. 5000 seats isn't a big enough arena. Might as well just go to the Xcel Energy Center.

I had actually talked to one of my friends about this at the time of the NCAA regionals, that UND should bid to host at the Scheels Arena and put a guarantee on the attendance to be greater than the average of the last 5 years lowest attended regional. To answer the first question, no there is not enough seats in Scheels Arena as was evidenced by the 2006 regional at the Ralph that broke several regional attendance records. I would actually be willing to bet that the entire ticket allotment would be sold out within days of them going on sale in fact.

But, and this is in regards to Goon's statement, this would give UND a chance to HOST a regional and guarantee to not be sent out East or the closest regional from home at 900 miles driving (or approximately 13.5 hours driving). Plus it would give a much better environment that everyone is looking for by having a huge number of passionate fans in the building. Also having at Xcel Energy Center doesn't necessarily help because there is a 0% chance that UND could host there, imagine the backlash from ALL of the Minnesota schools if it went to UND over any of them. Bemidji would have a much better chance at hosting there than UND.

EDIT:

Fargo isn't ideal because of the smaller arena. But if it's the Xcel, then Minnesota hosts, not the Sioux. And while it's likely the NCAA would throw us both in that regional, it's also possible that the Sioux still get sent out east when there's a regional there.

Boo, you beat me to it while I was typing up my response as well!

I would argue that this would include almost all coaches that are already highly likely to already be placed in "home" regionals ala BC, as many of you know have had an average travel distance of ~100 miles for the last 12 years or so. But this would be for ANY Eastern team in so far that the travel distances for many of the places that currently host regionals are only several hours driving from their school and so every year you have around a 50% chance (2 regionals in East and Northeast) that are close to your school. And also by not supporting campus sites it gives a higher guarantee that you won't be playing in front of 9k+ extremely biased fans of some school out in the West.

Just as an example this year, how many of you think it would have been better to play Yale in Grand Rapids in front of the 2600 or so fans there or 12k in Grand Forks? Would UND have been able to win the game if it was in the Ralph? Good question but almost every player says that they can feel and feed off of the crowd when they play at home so who knows.

I edited my statement, because it wasn't maybe as clear as I meant it to be. I meant as a participant. Because if UND and MN get stuck in the same regional getting tickets will be close to impossible.

UND and Minnesota should just take turns hosting at the X every year. That way it's guaranteed there's a close regional. I'm also up for UND hosting at Scheels Arena because 5,000 people would still be able to compete for most attended regional.

What would be really funny to watch, is UND hosting the West Regional in Fargo with Minnesota hosting the Midwest Regional in Minneapolis. The east coasters would blow up

• Upvote 2