SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Post-Season Format

MafiaMan

While the initial games would likely do much better, asking people to get an entire week off (Mon-Sun including travel) at the last minute for the Elite Eight doesn't seem like it would help attendance.

I agree with you on that. A Thursday-Sunday trip works well for most fans. Having a Monday or Tuesday thru Sunday would make a trip rather difficult for most.

Good suggestions though...almost ANYTHING would be better than what fans and players are forced to currently endure.

While the initial games would likely do much better, asking people to get an entire week off (Mon-Sun including travel) at the last minute for the Elite Eight doesn't seem like it would help attendance.

If it did come to this format you would almost have to play the 4 first-round games on Thursday even though it would mean playing from 10 AM-10 PM, then have the semis on Saturday and Final on Sunday. Some people would still have to take Wednesday and Monday off but it would be a little better for most people.

EDIT: beat me to it Mafia

we have to keep in mind that hockey has the longest season out there and you don't want to start adding 2-3 more weeks to the season. first round top 16 best of three at higher seed, scond round has two super regionals and then the frozen four. you add one more week to the season and solve most attendence/atmosphere issues.

we have to keep in mind that hockey has the longest season out there and you don't want to start adding 2-3 more weeks to the season. first round top 16 best of three at higher seed, scond round has two super regionals and then the frozen four. you add one more week to the season and solve most attendence/atmosphere issues.

Ditch one weekend of non-conference games during the regular season. Problem solved. There are plenty of complaints about Northern Michigan at North Dakota next year anyways. With any luck at all, folks would be trading that series in for a home playoff series where the winner will go to the Frozen Four -- and that sounds INFINITELY more exciting, doesn't it?

Ditch one weekend of non-conference games during the regular season. Problem solved. There are plenty of complaints about Northern Michigan at North Dakota next year anyways. With any luck at all, folks would be trading that series in for a home playoff series where the winner will go to the Frozen Four -- and that sounds INFINITELY more exciting, doesn't it?

It would still be the same as it is now, first-round series would be the same as the regionals, week off for hoops, "Iced 8" next weekend. No changes in regular season would be necessary.

This makes too much sense, no way it will ever happen. :lol:

what are the complaints about the northern michigan series?

The problem with regionals is no matter where they are someone has to travel. After spending the previous weekend (4 days) at the final five,it's pretty tough to take off the next weekend (3-4 days) and travel to Bomfoc, Egypt for a regional. Never mind the expense. Then throw in a hopeful Frozen 4 appearance in a far away land 10 days later. Sioux fans travel well,but they also have real lives of their own, and bills to pay.

• Upvote 3

what are the complaints about the northern michigan series?

"Not what I was expecting for a good non-conference schedule..."

"Boring opponent..."

"Who are they?"

"Couldn't we find anyone better?"

First comment was similar to ones posted here on siouxsports...the others are fans I talked to at the Final Five...

The one concern I have with the conference tournament champion auto-bid process is that we're right back to where we were in 1994 or 1995 with regular-season champion Colorado College staying at home for the NCAA's thanks to a first-round conference tournament playoff loss at home to Michigan Tech. St Cloud was a Michigan or Boston U away from sitting at home for the tournament...and that wouldn't have been right.

If you had 8 or 12 teams and the regular season champ was not in those 8 or 12 teams too bad. For pairwise numbers you would have to use the standings at the end of the regular season and not playoffs. I really don't like the auto bid. That would be like AA getting lucky at tourney time and getting in. Not right or fair.

If you had 8 or 12 teams and the regular season champ was not in those 8 or 12 teams too bad.

So you're saying the #1 team in the country, with less than 10 losses on the season, with 2 losses in the post-season to the 10th place team in the conference, suddenly falls to #13? An upset, yes, but Jamie Ram led that Tech team to TWO MORE WCHA Final Five wins before losing to Minnesota in the championship. An upset, yes, but no question the Tigers were still among the 12 best teams in the country.

If you had 8 or 12 teams and the regular season champ was not in those 8 or 12 teams too bad. For pairwise numbers you would have to use the standings at the end of the regular season and not playoffs. I really don't like the auto bid. That would be like AA getting lucky at tourney time and getting in. Not right or fair.

The autobid is definitely a double-sided coin, hurts the regular season champ but gives Cinderella a shot. It's worked so well for the Big Dance that it will never go away now though.

The autobid is definitely a double-sided coin, hurts the regular season champ but gives Cinderella a shot. It's worked so well for the Big Dance that it will never go away now though.

I think the auto-bid for the conference playoff champion needs to stay. If it goes away, there's no need for a conference tournament, right? Michigan and Boston U had everyone on the edge of their hockey seat right up until Sunday before the 16-team announcement was made this year - great drama.

"Not what I was expecting for a good non-conference schedule..."

"Boring opponent..."

"Who are they?"

"Couldn't we find anyone better?"

First comment was similar to ones posted here on siouxsports...the others are fans I talked to at the Final Five...

really? with the move to the new conference some of the series will have the feel of a non-conference since we haven't played them in a while(miami and western mich). I like our mix in the non-conference area next year. some heavy weights and some not so heavy weights.

I think the auto-bid for the conference playoff champion needs to stay. If it goes away, there's no need for a conference tournament, right? Michigan and Boston U had everyone on the edge of their hockey seat right up until Sunday before the 16-team announcement was made this year - great drama.

Yep, that's why it will never go away.

really? with the move to the new conference some of the series will have the feel of a non-conference since we haven't played them in a while(miami and western mich). I like our mix in the non-conference area next year. some heavy weights and some not so heavy weights.

I wasn't saying it was MY opinion. I have a buddy of mine who grew up in Marquette who CAN'T WAIT to go to Grand Forks next year. I'm just saying it's an option to eliminate one non-conference weekend.

It would still be the same as it is now, first-round series would be the same as the regionals, week off for hoops, "Iced 8" next weekend. No changes in regular season would be necessary.

This makes too much sense, no way it will ever happen. :lol:

The issue I see with that, is you will need to host in a location that has rooms for all 8 teams plus fans. I've heard of issues trying to get rooms at a reasonable rate with the current Frozen four, yet alone adding 4 more teams plus fans.

1st round best of 3 at the top 8's home barn. Following week, two super regionals (east/west with cheaper ticket prices) and then the Frozen four the weekend after.

Side note, if your state borders one of the 13 original colonies, you are not allowed to host the west regional. (Just don't ask me who the original 13 were)

The issue I see with that, is you will need to host in a location that has rooms for all 8 teams plus fans. I've heard of issues trying to get rooms at a reasonable rate with the current Frozen four, yet alone adding 4 more teams plus fans.

1st round best of 3 at the top 8's home barn. Following week, two super regionals (east/west with cheaper ticket prices) and then the Frozen four the weekend after.

Side note, if your state borders one of the 13 original colonies, you are not allowed to host the west regional. (Just don't ask me who the original 13 were)

Granted it would have to be in a bigger city, but the Frozen Four is never in a podunk town anyway, really 8 college hockey teams and their fans is not much for a major city.

No kidding, when St. Louis is considered far West there is something wrong. Minneapolis, Denver, Omaha, anywhere west of the Great Lakes would be acceptable...hell move it to Vegas, probably have the biggest regional crowd ever, everybody would want to go there in March. :lol:

No kidding, when St. Louis is considered far West there is something wrong. Minneapolis, Denver, Omaha, anywhere west of the Great Lakes would be acceptable...hell move it to Vegas, probably have the biggest regional crowd ever, everybody would want to go there in March. :lol:

Vegas is more accessible than Grand Rapids Michigan because Allegiant Airlines. Heck so is Orlando, Florida.

I said it last weekend, but I think Omaha would be an excellent site. It's easy for all the CO, NE, ND, and MN schools to get there. That arena seats like 16,000 people, and it'd technically be a neutral site because Omaha can't seem to make the NCAAs to save their life!

• Upvote 2

The Orleans Arena seats around 8,000 for hockey with great sight lines. Reasonably priced hotel attached with $2 Bud Lights. They have a lot of experience hosting college tournaments even.

This is the solution that makes the most sense to me. Rewards the top teams. Increases attendance. The super regionals can be more regional, so people might have a better chance to attend. Could implement without making major changes to the schedule. Could also consider having the Frozen Four on Saturday and Monday like basketball. It would allow a couple of extra days for travel, and people would still only need to take a couple of days off.