SiouxSports.com Forum

Gwoz resigns

dmksioux

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I think the university should care about those things. For example, say Hak was fired (purely hypothetical...I'm not advocating that he be fired), and the university hires a coach with a track record of success, but he plays the trap game. I think there would be a backlash from fans, supporters, etc., because that's not Sioux hockey. So because of the coaching style, is that no longer a good fit for the university? There's a tradition to uphold, and the coaching philosophy plays into that.

Disclaimer: I do realize that all teams employ the trap at some point or another, including the Sioux. But they don't do it night in and night out like Bemidji, etc., so I don't consider that the overall 'style' of what Sioux hockey entails.

Style or philosophy of the coach would probably help the committee choose the candidates that they interview. The athletic director or another staffer would probably share some of that information and the preferences of the athletic department with the committee as part of the expectations that the department has for a coach. The committee doesn't have total control. They get a lot of input into the process from others, especially the department. And the committee will probably present 2 or 3 candidates to the AD with some recommendations. So if the school doesn't want a coach that preaches trap, the committee is unlikely to send the AD all coaches that do preach trap.

This process can work well for finding a coach if there isn't a time issue. But it is just like most hiring practices, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Well, I was completely wrong about OSU making a power play for Gwozdecky.

Now I just need to hope that I was also wrong about ME being too timid to go after him. Doesn't look good, though, if that USHR tweet about finalists is accurate (former players Corkum and Pellerin, former Walsh assistant and current Yale asst Red Gendron, and Eastern junior star Tremblay)

Maybe he is thinking of going to the NHL, Av's fired their coach (I don't know and haven't looked to see if it was filled yet).

I don't know. I'm not sure the Av management respects college hockey all that much. But, when you have the second worst record in the NHL, maybe they'll change their tune...

• 3 weeks later...

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/28/sports/gendron-eager-to-begin-as-maine-mens-hockey-coach-return-struggling-program-to-glory-days/

Old news by now, obviously, but I don't think Maine did a bad job with their selection...tough to see Gwoz not behind a bench this coming season though.

It's also tough to see him when he is behind the bench...;)

Eric J. Burton @goon48

Gwoz for NCHC head. Gwoz for NCHC Head, Gwoz for NCHC head.Gwoz for NCHC head. Gwoz for NCHC Head, Gwoz for NCHC head.Gwoz for NCHC head.

5:16 PM - 31 May 2013

I think its fun to imagine what kind of changes he might make.

1. All arenas shall install step-stools behind all player benches. Step-stools shall be at least 18 inches high.

2. All arenas shall install extra-grip coating on top of dasher boards.

3. Immediate prohibition on all signs saying "you must be THIS TALL to be NCHC Commissioner".

4. Denver University gets 2 points for wins, and everyone else gets 3 points.

... so much fodder for the offseason ...

• Upvote 1

I think its fun to imagine what kind of changes he might make.

1. All arenas shall install step-stools behind all player benches. Step-stools shall be at least 18 inches high.

2. All arenas shall install extra-grip coating on top of dasher boards.

3. Immediate prohibition on all signs saying "you must be THIS TALL to be NCHC Commissioner".

4. Denver University gets 2 points for wins, and everyone else gets 3 points.

... so much fodder for the offseason ...

I laughed out load when I read this.