SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets go over THIS years recruits only

Dolphinswin

Lets talk about this years recruits in this thread. I find myself having to dig forever to find information on this years recruits.

Voltin- Is he coming or not? I've heard he may be changing his mind about college... I retreived this from my friend who knows him somewhat well..

Ladue- Is this guy a scorer? What are we dealing with with this guy?

Tambalini- Who is this kid?

Is sanderson going to be a big player? He didn't play all year, Im guessing he couldn't cut it and thats why he wasn't one of the freshman getting ice time.

Are we looking at a team that could miss the tournament if players don't improve greatly over the offseason?

We don't have any big name recruits possibly coming? Like seth jones almost coming last year? Or JT miller?

Lets talk about this years recruits in this thread. I find myself having to dig forever to find information on this years recruits.

Voltin- Is he coming or not? I've heard he may be changing his mind about college... I retreived this from my friend who knows him somewhat well..

Ladue- Is this guy a scorer? What are we dealing with with this guy?

Tambalini- Who is this kid?

Is sanderson going to be a big player? He didn't play all year, Im guessing he couldn't cut it and thats why he wasn't one of the freshman getting ice time.

Are we looking at a team that could miss the tournament if players don't improve greatly over the offseason?

We don't have any big name recruits possibly coming? Like seth jones almost coming last year? Or JT miller?

I don't think Voltin was slated to come in this year. I would think that if he wasn't going the college route, he would have gone to Canada right after he left the NTDP. LaDue and Stecher should be every night guys right away as freshman. They are both offensive defenseman with a lot of experience at the Junior level. Tambellini will probably be our highest drafted recruit coming in, a 6'4 goal scoring power forward. He could be a very good player here. Luke Johnson and Wade Murphy should contribute right away. Murphy has put up huge numbers in the BCHL for a few years now, and Johnson will contribute right away. I don't think any player will have a monster freshman season, but I think all 5 of those players just mentioned will be every night players from the get go, and who knows maybe one will jump out and surprise us.

According to the Wiki page, Voltin is supposed to be coming in this season. I don't know how good he will be though beings he hasn't put up great numbers in the USHL but who knows he could blossom here. He is a '95 born player so I could see him waiting another year.

Also, I find it pretty funny that Dillon Simpson will be a senior next season and he will be younger than one of our freshman, Paul LaDue.

According to the Wiki page, Voltin is supposed to be coming in this season. I don't know how good he will be though beings he hasn't put up great numbers in the USHL but who knows he could blossom here. He is a '95 born player so I could see him waiting another year.

Also, I find it pretty funny that Dillon Simpson will be a senior next season and he will be younger than one of our freshman, Paul LaDue.

Voltin hasn't put up great numbers in the USHL, he has 26 points in 59 games so far. This doesn't mean he can't contribute offensively at this level. Take Jonny Brodzinski for example, he is a freshman this year for SCSU. His best year in the USHL, he had 22 points in 58 games. As a freshman with St. Cloud, he has 33 points in 40 games so far, including 22 goals. That's right he has as many goals in his first year in the NCAA, as he did points in the USHL. Some players just translate there game better, who's to say Voltin can't do the same thing.

Will Simpson be able to do juniors after college?

whats your expectations for the team next season?

I don't think the potential of next years team will be as high as this year, but I think the records will be very similar. I think Rocco will have a monster year, and MacMillan and Parks will take that next step up and be offensive leaders for this team. Our defenseman should generate a lot of offense, defensively there are some concerns though. Saunders and Gothberg should be the strengths of the team.

Will Simpson be able to do juniors after college?

No, he will be one year to old, which is pretty amazing since the majority of players will have aged out of juniors by the time they start college, he will almost be eligible after he graduates.

I for one think we have some nice recruits coming in next year. We should field a very competitive team next year. We'll be a top 15 team in the country next year. I don't think we'll have natty material but we'll be competitive for anyone we play. Hopefully we keep Simpson and Forbert

I don't think the potential of next years team will be as high as this year, but I think the records will be very similar. I think Rocco will have a monster year, and MacMillan and Parks will take that next step up and be offensive leaders for this team. Our defenseman should generate a lot of offense, defensively there are some concerns though. Saunders and Gothberg should be the strengths of the team.

Not close....but maybe they'll have more chemistry; actually I know they'll have more chemistry.

Voltin hasn't put up great numbers in the USHL, he has 26 points in 59 games so far. This doesn't mean he can't contribute offensively at this level. Take Jonny Brodzinski for example, he is a freshman this year for SCSU. His best year in the USHL, he had 22 points in 58 games. As a freshman with St. Cloud, he has 33 points in 40 games so far, including 22 goals. That's right he has as many goals in his first year in the NCAA, as he did points in the USHL. Some players just translate there game better, who's to say Voltin can't do the same thing.

True...he also has the best assist man in the country on his line.

Thompson is a tremendous defenseman. Great skater, great hands. Will add a lot when he comes here. But if Forbort stays I think he's down in the junior hockey ranks for another season.

If Forbort leaves, I wouldn't mind seeing him at UND next year.

Bottom line is they need to get back to outworking their opponent game in and game out, and not for just one period or two. If they do that, I think they have enough talent to do well and hopefully get back to building toward the playoffs next year instead of taking a step forward, then a step back. As we've seen with a young Miami team, that if you can get some scoring from freshmen like they did with Riley Barber and decent scoring elsewhere, you can be a good team, even if you are young. Think Murphy or Tambellini could put up decent numbers if they play with talented forwards. Will also need Rodwell, Pattyn and St. Clair to up their goal totals. Not unheard of, since they didn't put up a lot of goals.

• 3 weeks later...

Hak was at UND Boosters in Fargo last week. Here's what was heard by that crowd:

- LaDue and Thompson coming in at defense*

- Tambellini, Luke Johnson, and Wade Murphy coming at forward**

- still evaluating which other defenseman prospect to bring in***

- working on determining what to do with the third goaltender slot****

- got a strange vibe from Hak that there may be another departure (probably a "low playing time" guy)

- should have it all figured out by mid-May

*that covers the departing seniors (MacWilliam, Gleason)

**that covers the departing seniors (Knight, Kristo, Rowney)

***to cover Forbort's early departure ... has Gage Ausmus officially committed anywhere after backing out on DU?

****no one can replace the man, the myth, the legend, ... the Tater.

Hak was at UND Boosters in Fargo last week. Here's what was heard by that crowd:

- got a strange vibe from Hak that there may be another departure (probably a "low playing time" guy)

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

I'm looking forward to watching the local kids play.

***to cover Forbort's early departure ... has Gage Ausmus officially committed anywhere after backing out on DU?

Low playing time guy...maybe Sanderson?

Ausmus hasn't committed anywhere yet that I've heard but I keep hearing UMD or maybe UMN. Landing him this late in the game if we have room would be huge though.

*that covers the departing seniors (MacWilliam, Gleason)

**that covers the departing seniors (Knight, Kristo, Rowney)

****no one can replace the man, the myth, the legend, ... the Tater.

I thought Stecher was coming in for sure next season but if that hasn't been decided yet and maybe he would play another year in juniors it certainly makes me think a little more that they may be trying to bring in Ausmus. Wouldn't be suprised to see someone like Sanderson, Senkbeil, or someone like that leave and I really wouldn't blame them for wanting a chance to see the ice some more. The 3rd goalie situation is kind of intriguing because you could opt for the guy who is basically gonna be a practice goalie for his career or with Saunders graduating next season you could bring a guy in who can compete for playing time right away and opt for more the practice goalie route the next season. Everything I have heard is that Ausmus will likely end up at UND or UMD, another couple guys who could be looking for a new place to play with the Ohio State firing are Zach Stepan who would be a great forward to pick up for next year although I don't know if we really have any room and the other guy is Jack Dougherety who is a few years away but a pretty good defenseman and I would guess a big reason he decided on Ohio State would have to do with Osiecki.