SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Ever think that the reason we lost to BC in the Frozen Four those years is becuase the team played better than us that day? And maybe it wasn't the coaching but maybe...just maybe the game was decided out on the ice by the players either executing or failing to execute!!!

It's the job of the coaching staff to get the team ready for a big stage like the Frozen Four. Otherwise there is no point in paying them what we pay them. And any team good enough to get there shouldn't flame out like that over and over again.

Are you saying that those years that BC handed us our asses in the Frozen Four is because they didn't have to travel as far for their regionals? I call BS on this. BC may have had an easier time getting to the FF, but once there they kicked our butts. I recall a regional here in the Ralph where we flamed out at the FF.

I'm saying that while UND was taking a bus from the hotel room and changing into their hockey gear in tents just prior to taking the ice (1998 Yost Regional), other teams were enjoying all the comforts of a home venue. How much fun did BC have traveling to Colorado a few years ago? The Tigers mopped the ice with the team most folks thought was a shoo-in to repeat as NCAA champions. Instead of having to worry about a long flight and all the logistics of that hassle, the jet-lag, etc, BC teams have typically been sleeping comfortably in their dorm rooms at mommy and daddy's house before taking a 45-60 minute bus ride to Worcester.

I'm not talking BC having an easier road to all those Frozen Fours...I'm talking BC being eliminated BEFORE the Frozen Four if they were made to travel a bit further than the equivalent of Grand Forks to Fargo.

I'm saying that while UND was taking a bus from the hotel room and changing into their hockey gear in tents just prior to taking the ice (1998 Yost Regional), other teams were enjoying all the comforts of a home venue. How much fun did BC have traveling to Colorado a few years ago? The Tigers mopped the ice with the team most folks thought was a shoo-in to repeat as NCAA champions. Instead of having to worry about a long flight and all the logistics of that hassle, the jet-lag, etc, BC teams have typically been sleeping comfortably in their dorm rooms at mommy and daddy's house before taking a 45-60 minute bus ride to Worcester.

I'm not talking BC having an easier road to all those Frozen Fours...I'm talking BC being eliminated BEFORE the Frozen Four if they were made to travel a bit further than the equivalent of Grand Forks to Fargo.

we've all had this argument against BC, so next year UND had BETTER make it Boston when the regional is in Fargo or this argument really flies out the window.

Please point out one thing I said that isn't true and isn't relevant to the matter at hand.

Is this one of those posts that are like DaveK rants that say "it's true because I say it is"?

I really hope UND wins a title this year so this thread gets nuked.

And at the other end of the spectrum there is friday night against SLU... this is not one of the hardest working UND teams in my opinion.

I don't specifically remember that game offhand so can't comment. I've just never recalled watching the team going man that guy just didn't hustle. This team seems like it works hard to make up for the lack of high-end talent, at least to me.

So our lack of success is due to the 16 team regional? BS again. It didn't seem to be too hard for Minnesota twice, Denver twice, Wisconsin, Minnesota Duluth, or BC. Roughly the same amount of teams and one wins the championship. Tired of excuses as to why we didn't get it done. I'm not blaming the tourney format when we had Oshie, Toews, and Ducnan and still couldn't win.

I might add that the 16 team tournament could be our friend this year.

Minnesota - lucky enough to have a Frozen Four in St Paul, a nice no-call slash on Adam Hauser in OT five seconds before Maine is called for a penalty that ultimately decides the game AND...

...lucky enough to have UNH's best player injure himself in the semi-final game and not be available for the title game in year two of the back-to-back.

Denver - lucky enough to miss the WCHA Final Five and STILL make the NCAA tournament. A week to rest up and get healthy while the rest of the league dukes it out in a barn-burner Final Five playoff.

Wisconsin - lucky enough to have a regional in Green Bay and a Frozen Four in Milwaukee. Didn't even have to leave the state of WIsconsin.

And who says some luck ISN'T needed to win a national championship?

Minnesota - lucky enough to have a Frozen Four in St Paul, a nice no-call slash on Adam Hauser in OT five seconds before Maine is called for a penalty that ultimately decides the game AND...

...lucky enough to have UNH's best player injure himself in the semi-final game and not be available for the title. game.

Denver - lucky enough to miss the WCHA Final Five and STILL make the NCAA tournament. A week to rest up and get healthy while the rest of the league dukes it out in a barn-burner Final Five playoff.

Wisconsin - lucky enough to have a regional in Green Bay and a Frozen Four in Milwaukee. Didn't even have to leave the state of WIsconsin.

who needs luck when you have the best facility and fans in the nation.

...lucky enough to have UNH's best player injure himself in the semi-final game and not be available for the title. game.

don't forget BU beating Michigan in '97.

So ...... You're saying we just aren't lucky enough?

So ...... You're saying we just aren't lucky enough?

I'm saying it's a factor. I'm hoping we're the Boston Red Sox of NCAA hockey...unlucky over and over and over again and all of a sudden, we pull off a miracle NCAA title...and then another...and then another...

Yep, that too. I was at that tournament...the building was STUNNED when Michigan lost to BU.

I was there as a member of the media and left after getting what we needed for coverage for UND and came back after getting something to ieat n time for the third period, STUNNED is absolutely the correct word.

I'm saying it's a factor. I'm hoping we're the Boston Red Sox of NCAA hockey...unlucky over and over and over again and all of a sudden, we pull off a miracle NCAA title...and then another...and then another...

but we would have to go like 80 years without a title though, just think of the fire hakstol thread after year 60, sheez.

And at the other end of the spectrum there is friday night against SLU... this is not one of the hardest working UND teams in my opinion.

There's been two games like that all season long. Even the good teams like BC get beat like that once in awhile. That was one game in a season of many.

Is this one of those posts that are like DaveK rants that say "it's true because I say it is"?

I really hope UND wins a title this year so this thread gets nuked.

I never said this. I just challenged Mr. jdub27 to point out something that I said that wasn't accurate and that isn't relevant to the topic at hand. Btw, I agree with you on your second sentence, I would like to talk about a title defense instead of our almost 14 year drought.

I never said this. I just challenged Mr. jdub27 to point out something that I said that wasn't accurate and that isn't relevant to the topic at hand. Btw, I agree with you on your second sentence, I would like to talk about a title defense instead of our almost 14 year drought.

Go back and re-read what I wrote. No where did I say what you were saying wasn't accurate or relevant, I said it was personal opinions and hindsight. Or maybe I should just say you were using the "Fire Hak" crowd talking points, but I was giving you a little more credit than that.

The harder I work the luckier I get, dump and chase just isn't fun to watch or three fowards cycling the puck before giving it up. The fowards in the d zone going hard off the glass instead of looking for the easy out and that's coaching because they all do it. Let the the fowards get after it.

Schloss has a blog piece and comments on Hak's "system" offensively and that from '04 forward UND is 3rd nationally in overall scoring. Guess that blows my issue of Hak running too tight a system at times of of the water.

BTW in 32 games this year included are 4 exhibitions, UND has scored 3 or less 21 times. 2 goals or less 11 times.

Schloss has a blog piece and comments on Hak's "system" offensively and that from '04 forward UND is 3rd nationally in overall scoring. Guess that blows my issue of Hak running too tight a system a times of of the water.

BTW in 32 games this year included are 4 exhibitions, UND has scored 3 or less 21 times. 2 goals or less 11 times.

Yeah, seems like they've been somewhat successful scoring under the "Hak System"

Schloss has a blog piece and comments on Hak's "system" offensively and that from '04 forward UND is 3rd nationally in overall scoring. Guess that blows my issue of Hak running too tight a system at times of of the water.

I'd love to see that but I can't access his block it says the site is unavailable.