SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Saturday night letdowns continue.

Hakstol just can't get these boys fired up...they don't want to play for him. At least not like they did for Blais.

This team will never score more than 4 goals...not in Hakstol's system, at least.

Whenever this team gets a lead, they take their foot off the gas. Always.

:)

FIRE HAACKSTOOL!! ;)

• Upvote 1

Saturday night letdowns continue.

Hakstol just can't get these boys fired up...they don't want to play for him. At least not like they did for Blais.

This team will never score more than 4 goals...not in Hakstol's system, at least.

Whenever this team gets a lead, they take their foot off the gas. Always.

:)

FIRE HAACKSTOOL!! ;)

Blais would have gotten 9

My guess is the life or death of this thread will have more to do with the end of the season result rather the end of a weekend result in the middle of the season.

REALLY? How about you scroll back a few pages and take a look at the blow-up after a holiday exhibition loss to a Canadian school and then let me know your thoughts.

Funny, sweep this past weekend and this thread died... :)

Not much to say. Sweeping the last place team in the league was extremely impressive and rendered everybody speechless.

Don't worry, they (including me) will be back when we lock up another Top 16 NCAA Tournament participation banner for the hockey office.

Not much to say. Sweeping the last place team in the league was extremely impressive and rendered everybody speechless.

Don't worry, they (including me) will be back when we lock up another Top 16 NCAA Tournament participation banner for the hockey office.

... and maybe you can tell us some of your accomplishments in life. Or do you just have high expectations for other people because you and yours need to live vicariously through others.

• Upvote 1

Oh man. That's a fun way to go through life! :)

Oh yeah, no doubt Oshie will be considered a schmuck in his eyes if the U.S. doesn't win the gold. Other people need to be perfect in order to make up for his inadequacies.

Oh yeah, no doubt Oshie will be considered a schmuck in his eyes if the U.S. doesn't win the gold. Other people need to be perfect in order to make up for his inadequacies.

Not sure what Oshie has to do with Hakstol's record but alright.

Goon came on here spouting off how nobody was talking bad about Hak now that they swept a series (against a last place team). It deserved a reply, one that I consistently make. Right or wrong.

All the same complaints about Hakstol still exist. His seeming inability to make in game adjustments, strict adherence to his style of hockey despite the personnel, power play that is always bad (even when we had the horses like the pony express line), and inability to win the big one at the end of the season are still problems in some eyes. One weekend doesn't change any of that, just like if we would have somehow lost both games this weekend none of your pro-Hakstol opinions would change. Even pessimistic fans don't like to complain after a sweep, but that doesn't mean the complaints magically no longer exist.

• Upvote 2

My thoughts exactly; they must be fun at parties.

So after 95 pages, those that complain are now no fun at parties and hate life. C'mon!

I have brought this up before but I honestly question the "desire to win" or "demand for excellence" (whatever you want to call it) of the fan base these days. It seems like a tad bit of complacency is setting in. Not totally, just a little bit. To the point where it's not NCAA Championship or bust anymore --- making the tourney is now an accomplishment. Once again, just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

And I'm not a fire Hakstol guy. My older brother and uncle (whom are the people I watch and talk Sioux hockey with) were probably two of the first fire Hakstol people and are strict followers of the Church of Blais. They've had the same complaints for years and one weekend sweep of a last place team isn't going to change those opinions. Not everyone in the fire Hakstol boat are mindless whining machines, like a lot of the posters here try to paint them. They have well thought out complaints and happen to be people with a quicker trigger finger when it comes to wanting someone fired.

There's plenty examples in the past of teams firing a coach too early and there are plenty of times where the coach was held onto too long.

So after 95 pages, those that complain are now no fun at parties and hate life. C'mon!

I have brought this up before but I honestly question the "desire to win" or "demand for excellence" (whatever you want to call it) of the fan base these days. It seems like a tad bit of complacency is setting in. Not totally, just a little bit. To the point where it's not NCAA Championship or bust anymore --- making the tourney is now an accomplishment. Once again, just my opinion.

It's a saying for someone that is a huge downer, try not to take it so literally.

I have no problem with questioning the team and coaching staff, I do it almost every game. But, as an alleged fan, to give up on a season like your above "participation banner" comment is just ridiculous.

REALLY? How about you scroll back a few pages and take a look at the blow-up after a holiday exhibition loss to a Canadian school and then let me know your thoughts.

OK, I did as you suggested and my thoughts haven't changed. I believe Goon said "sweep this past weekend and this thread died". I just didn't believe (and still don't) that this thread would die based on last weekends sweep. I guess the 13 or so additional posts since Goon's are further evidence of that. Just my opinion, I'm sorry you didn't like it. But we are all entitled to our own opinion and I respect the fact that's yours may be different than mine. If you believe the post has "died" I would suggest that you don't have to post on it any more.

OK, I did as you suggested and my thoughts haven't changed. I believe Goon said "sweep this past weekend and this thread died". I just didn't believe (and still don't) that this thread would die based on last weekends sweep. I guess the 13 or so additional posts since Goon's are further evidence of that. Just my opinion, I'm sorry you didn't like it. But we are all entitled to our own opinion and I respect the fact that's yours may be different than mine. If you believe the post has "died" I would suggest that you don't have to post on it any more.

Actually, I said it tongue in cheek, I didn't think it would generate 13 additional posts. I guess I was wrong.. Nor did I think when I started this post it would go 95 pages either. :) ha, ha, ha....

Not sure what Oshie has to do with Hakstol's record but alright.

Goon came on here spouting off how nobody was talking bad about Hak now that they swept a series (against a last place team). It deserved a reply, one that I consistently make. Right or wrong.

My thoughts exactly; they must be fun at parties.

I like parties. :) I have fun where ever I go...

Rich hockey history...that could define Minnesota, UMD, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Boston University, Boston College, Maine, Lake Superior State, New Hampshire, and any one of about 20 other NCAA hockey programs. Hell, Michigan Tech has rich history too. It's been 30-35 years since they've had a quality program year in and year out, but they do have a rich history.

The finest facility...DU's $75 million Magness Arena, Penn State's $88 million Pegula Ice Arena, and BU's $225 million dollar complex (which includes Agganis Arena) are certainly nothing to sneeze at. Neither are Mariucci Arena, Yost Ice Arena, or good old Alfond Arena up in Maine. If best arena or best stadium should guarantee success, can you tell me why the Red Sox are winning World Series' in a dump like Fenway? And don't answer "player salaries" because the Miami Marlins spent a boatload of cash on players in year one of their brand-new stadium and that was a disaster. If anything, the Red Sox cut some big salaries and found cheaper replacements this past season.

The most coveted position in college hockey...yet another opinion-oriented philosophy. If Dave Hakstol were fired tomorrow and an offer of a one billion dollar a year salary, an active oil well in Watford City, and being made lifetime Emperor of North Dakota was made to Jerry York, his answer would be "no." Sorry, folks, Grand Forks, ND isn't on the short-list of places to move to. And, as stated above in the facility argument...there are many schools that could claim to be "most-coveted" coaching job. North Dakota's one of them.

The "I've spent thousands on this team" argument...love, Love, LOVE this argument. The "because I have invested my time and money watching this team, there should be a return on my personal investment in the form of a national championship" philosophy. When I drop $10 on a movie ticket, I don't walk into the theater thinking "I'd better be watching an Oscar-worthy performance or I'm asking the manager for my money back." If I'm disappointed in the whole movie or just the ending, well, that's how it works. Now, if you want to head down to the locker room area and hang around after the game and wait for the chance to chew out Hakstol, his staff, and the 18-22 year old athletes for not meeting your expectations on the ice, that's your business. I'll just turn off the TV, grumble about the game, then turn it back on the next night and cheer again. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

Before you retaliate with the "MafiaMan's against national championships" argument, I will ask you to reconsider. Just because I support Dave Hakstol doesn't mean I'm not getting antsy myself. And if Minnesota happens to pull a title out of their hat this season, my guess is that the heat on Hakstol will only be turned up a notch.

Hey man, some of us work really hard to keep those pumping and simultaneously maintain the ability to spell. How do we know that wouldn't push it over the top? It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Words can hurt Mafia.... words can hurt.