SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Because the team that's favored every year should win the title every time, right?

Cough, cough, 1980 Soviet Union (men's Olympic hockey)...1983 Houston Cougars (men's basketball)...1985 Georgetown Hoyas (men's basketball)...cough, cough, 1997 Michigan Wolverines (ice hockey)...cough, cough, 2004 LA Lakers (NBA)...2014 Denver Broncos (NFL)...

Hey don't leave out the 1998 vikes

The problem is, when things started going badly Sat. night, one of a couple of things should have been done. 1.) For the first time in years, someone should have gotten into a fight to fire up the team and turn the momentum back our way.

#11 was being a pain in the a** for example. Or Archibald for that matter, should you really get away "clean" w/ a hat

trick? In the early 90s we may have lost, but we at least roughed some people up before they left the building! And

yes, I know that this is a team where, unlike previous years, we don't really have any fighters, but if that's the case, the coach should come up w/ a different plan. . .like pull Saunders for the freshman after the 5th goal; could he

really been worse on breakaways than Saunders?. (Although stopping the cherry picking, B.C. breakaways might have been

another solution!) Or hell, OUR coach could have started throwing things and gotten kicked out of the game. Maybe that would have gotten through to these guys. Some one needed to wake them up during this game and no one stepped up, player or coach.

At the very least, there should have been some serious skating going on afterwards. It was a pathetic effort, all

around. :(

Ok. That's my one "once every three years" rant. :)

• Upvote 1

The problem is, when things started going badly Sat. night, one of a couple of things should have been done. 1.) For the first time in years, someone should have gotten into a fight to fire up the team and turn the momentum back our way.

#11 was being a pain in the a** for example. Or Archibald for that matter, should you really get away "clean" w/ a hat

trick? In the early 90s we may have lost, but we at least roughed some people up before they left the building! And

yes, I know that this is a team where, unlike previous years, we don't really have any fighters, but if that's the case, the coach should come up w/ a different plan. . .like pull Saunders for the freshman after the 5th goal; could he

really been worse on breakaways than Saunders?. (Although stopping the cherry picking, B.C. breakaways might have been

another solution!) Or hell, OUR coach could have started throwing things and gotten kicked out of the game. Maybe that would have gotten through to these guys. Some one needed to wake them up during this game and no one stepped up, player or coach.

At the very least, there should have been some serious skating going on afterwards. It was a pathetic effort, all

around. :sad:

And a good one.

But a majority of the posts are defending Hakstol and some of them are even implying that NCAA titles don't matter all that much. Me, Irish and Smokey are most responsible for speaking the Inconvenient Truth.

I'll give the guy a few more years (3-5) to bring one home. You simply cannot let a guy go that has his kind of track record on paper, it's simply not possible unless he chooses to leave.

I'll give the guy a few more years (3-5) to bring one home. You simply cannot let a guy go that has his kind of track record on paper, it's simply not impossible unless he chooses to leave.

Okay, that sounds fair enough and I am fine with doing that. But if it still hasn't happened after five years, you will have people on here recycling the same tired old excuses (hot goalies, lucky bounces, one and done format, Jerry York is still coaching and so on). I for one want Hakstol to win one just so we can retire this discussion and talk about things that are more positive.

• Upvote 2

That's your solution when the team is playing poorly? Start a fight? This is college hockey, not Slap Shot.

• Upvote 1

Ok, now that makes sense.

You and I seem to agree on the Hakstol timeline should things start deteriorating record-wise. Why the comment about my sarcastic "Blais" post?

I thought it may be directed at me since I made an incorrect comment a few days back. Sorry if I was incorrect.

Did you see how Archibald's "hat trick" was scored?

1st goal- off Simpson's skate, so really an assist by Archibald

2nd goal- big change up that almost was too slow to cross the goal line yet Saunders magically missed every part of the puck

3rd goal- driving wide around Schmaltz, who recovers and gets his stick on the puck. Saunders overplays Archibald and fails to notice the puck sliding in the near side of the net.

I wouldn't put it up there as one of the sexiest hat tricks ever scored. If anyone deserved to be "roughed up" it was our goalie and defense so I'm all for the bag skate idea.

• Upvote 1

I thought it may be directed at me since I made an incorrect comment a few days back. Sorry if I was incorrect.

Sarcasm yes, but I meant it in the context of lots of posters continuing to believe that legendary stories of Sioux hockey begin and end with Dean Blais. It wasn't directed specifically at you.

some of them are even implying that NCAA titles don't matter all that much.

I don't recall a single UND fan ever saying that titles don't matter.

Most of what I have seen has been fans saying that it is harder to win titles now than in years past, for multiple reasons. Which is the truth. BC seems to be the lone exception with their recent dominance.

That said, Hakstol has had a few teams (two in particular) that should have brought home the hardware, but just couldn't.

Hopefully that will change soon.

• Upvote 1

Sarcasm yes, but I meant it in the context of lots of posters continuing to believe that legendary stories of Sioux hockey begin and end with Dean Blais. It wasn't directed specifically at you.

Ok, my apologies. As for Blais, I for one think he is a great coach. I also think Hak is a very good coach, I am simply waiting on that next national title. I believe there are many coaches out there (given the luxuries of what UND has) that could take us into the post season year in and year out. However after a certain period of time, one has to consider whether it is a decent idea for a change. Do I think that is today.....no I don't. But after a 10-15 year range.....probably.

Ok, my apologies. As for Blais, I for one think he is a great coach. I also think Hak is a very good coach, I am simply waiting on that next national title. I believe there are many coaches out there (given the luxuries of what UND has) that could take us into the post season year in and year out. However after a certain period of time, one has to consider whether it is a decent idea for a change. Do I think that is today.....no I don't. But after a 10-15 year range.....probably.

We're both anxiously waiting. I've defended Hakstol plenty - a .500 season this year would certainly be a major set-back for the program - and you could probably start a 2-3 year clock on the coaching staff should that happen.

• Upvote 1

I don't recall a single UND fan ever saying that titles don't matter.

Most of what I have seen has been fans saying that it is harder to win titles now than in years past, for multiple reasons. Which is the truth. BC seems to be the lone exception with their recent dominance.

That said, Hakstol has had a few teams (two in particular) that should have brought home the hardware, but just couldn't.

Hopefully that will change soon.

I have seen comments to the effect of "I would like to have a "natty", but.....". Which tells me it just isn't all that important to them. They are satisfied with winning seasons and a few league titles here and there. That is their opinion. I do not share that opinion. With all the tools we have at UND, NCAA titles should not be this impossible to win.

I wouldn't exactly call a 9-year season average of 26 wins, 13 losses, and 4 ties a sign that Hakstol is running the program into the ground. Hakstol has done everything but win an NCAA title with the Sioux...I sure hope he wins one...and soon.

My point is that Hakstol doesn't always get the most out of the talent he has had to work with. His teams have laid more than one egg on the national stage (I am talking Frozen Four, not anything else). We also seem to play down to the level of our competition on a regular basis. Those things stick out like a sore thumb in a program that has had a lot of talent come through it over the past 10 years.

My point is that Hakstol doesn't always get the most out of the talent he has had to work with. His teams have laid more than one egg on the national stage (I am talking Frozen Four, not anything else).

With all due respect, it's not Hakstol's fault that his goalie couldn't stop a beach ball in three straight Frozen Four games against BC. The 2006 and 2007 squads played hard in those two respective games but were constantly being deflated by shoddy goaltending.

2006: 6-5

2007: 6-4

2008: 6-1

The 2008 game was a debacle, nothing less. I think it was obvious that the ghosts of 2006 and 2007 got into the heads of the rest of team (as opposed to just the guy in net) at that point.

My memory is fuzzy, although I watched all three games live. Who was/were the Sioux goalie(s) and BC goalie(s) for that three-year stretch?