SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Niagara - NCAA 1st round

AZSIOUX

Can't ever look past an opponent, but they have not played anyone decent this year. They may have a solid goalie, but we will be by far the most dominant team to test them. Shouldn't be another Yale game, Yale actually had a little talent that year (not that we should have lost). UND 5-1

I'd rather our matchup than the goofers ... Yale beat CC, Denver and tied BC this year.

The colorado games were in nov., and the bc game was during the Wjc. Yale got beat 8-0 by union and q. this weekend. It will be a two line game for mn in the third period, their third and fourth lines.

That said, drawing Niagara is o.k. Too.

I was pulling for mich all the way today, so whoever survived would at least have been in a battle.

Disappointed how the Regions worked out but you gotta beat the best to be the best. Not saying anyone in the Sioux regional is the best, but the Sioux boys have to take this thing one shift at a time and play the game they know how to play. This team has not had an identity all year and maybe this corn holing by the NC$$ will be the spark the boys need to finally gain that identity and win #8. #rolltribe

• Upvote 1

Everyone seems to think that this was a huge injustice done to UND. According to Pairwise UND was an 8 seed, and Minnesota a 2 seed. The 2 seed should have the 7 seed in its bracket. The 7 seed is New Hampshire, and they are hosting their own regional, so they couldn't be in the same bracket as Minnesota. So switching the 7 and 8 seeds is not a big injustice. It is unfortunate that UND and Minnesota end up in the same regional again instead of having the chance to meet in the Frozen Four. But it isn't a huge injustice to either school based on their Pairwise ranking.

The biggest injustice was probably done to Quinnipiac, and Boston College got the biggest advantage. Quinnipiac was ranked number 1 because they won the games they needed to win to get that ranking. They end up playing in the same bracket as Boston College, less than 1 hour from the BC campus. That isn't an advantage for Quinnipiac. It gives BC more of an advantage than they earned this season. That is the bracket with the biggest injustices. UND and Minnesota in the same bracket is just unfortunate.

• Upvote 4

Everyone seems to think that this was a huge injustice done to UND. According to Pairwise UND was an 8 seed, and Minnesota a 2 seed. The 2 seed should have the 7 seed in its bracket. The 7 seed is New Hampshire, and they are hosting their own regional, so they couldn't be in the same bracket as Minnesota. So switching the 7 and 8 seeds is not a big injustice. It is unfortunate that UND and Minnesota end up in the same regional again instead of having the chance to meet in the Frozen Four. But it isn't a huge injustice to either school based on their Pairwise ranking.

The biggest injustice was probably done to Quinnipiac, and Boston College got the biggest advantage. Quinnipiac was ranked number 1 because they won the games they needed to win to get that ranking. They end up playing in the same bracket as Boston College, less than 1 hour from the BC campus. That isn't an advantage for Quinnipiac. It gives BC more of an advantage than they earned this season. That is the bracket with the biggest injustices. UND and Minnesota in the same bracket is just unfortunate.

Very good points. Quinnipiac is the group that should feel the most betrayed by the process. They said all the right things on ESPN, and smiled for the camera. I hope they come out with a chip on their shoulder, and hit BC the moment they step off the bus. I'm a Quinnipiac fan for the remainder of the season.

Well, until they lose to UND in the national championship 4-1. :lol:

Clarke is a very capable goalie, but Zane's best is better than Clarke's best. You take the risk of Gothberg giving up the soft goal or two for that chance of him getting really hot for 4 straight games, because I think he can.

With Saunders, I don't see a title. With Gothberg, I see big risk, but big reward. Ride Zane.

Clarke is a very capable goalie, but Zane's best is better than Clarke's best. You take the risk of Gothberg giving up the soft goal or two for that chance of him getting really hot for 4 straight games, because I think he can.

With Saunders, I don't see a title. With Gothberg, I see big risk, but big reward. Ride Zane.

I tend to agree with this post. If one goalie has the "potential" to play really well for 4 games and possibly steal one along the way I would give Zane that edge. Now with that being said it frustrating this is even a conversation about who is going to start heading into the NCAAs.

Can't ever look past an opponent, but they have not played anyone decent this year. They may have a solid goalie, but we will be by far the most dominant team to test them. Shouldn't be another Yale game, Yale actually had a little talent that year (not that we should have lost). UND 5-1

I'd rather our matchup than the goofers ... Yale beat CC, Denver and tied BC this year.

Agreed cant overlook Niagra but we should be able to wear them down. Lets put a ton of shots on net early and show them why our program is superior. Let them know why we are current under-ranked. We also need to figure out who's playing net and who should be on our top 6....two biggest questions that I have.

Agree, and posted as such in another thread. The number one seed should earn the right to play the weakest two seed tn their region- the #8. Apparently the committee believes there is no difference between BC and UND. Quinnipiac as the one seed now likely faces defending champ and power BC in an arena an hour train ride from Chestnut Hill.

Thanks for sharing. What I learned from that site:

1) CC means Canisius...took me a minute to figure that one out

2) Most of the fans would love to trade places with CC and play Quinnipiac instead.

3) They expect the team to come out ready to play given the embarrassing loss to CC in the AHA tourney.

4) They speculate that goaltending is our biggest weakness.

2) Most of the fans would love to trade places with CC and play Quinnipiac instead.

3) They expect the team to come out ready to play given the embarrassing loss to CC in the AHA tourney.

Their speculation to #4 is probably not far off.

Inconsisitent goaltending, due to the fact no one knows who will start Friday, and this team's inability to finsih grade A chances have been issues all season.

they also think that all the minnesota fans will be pulling for them like we did for holy cross in 2006. what a shock minny fans cheering against und. big difference is that in 2006 there were 12,000 people in the building this weekend there will be 600. oh wait und will boost attendence there will be 608 people.

they also think that all the minnesota fans will be pulling for them like we did for holy cross in 2006. what a shock minny fans cheering against und. big difference is that in 2006 there were 12,000 people in the building this weekend there will be 600. oh wait und will boost attendence there will be 608 people.

Just like we are all instantaneously Yale fans now.

yeah but that won't make any difference. minny over yale 7-2, und over niagara 3-2, minny over und 5-3 and go on to win their sixth. this region effin sucks.

Reminds me of the same cockiness that we all had before UND played Yale in the NCAA Tournament. Albeit Yale did have a more talented team that year but still. Don't fall off the cliff yet. Quite the pessimist!

As for the Niagara fans, they are pretty much right. UND's goaltending is pretty darn suspect. I'm hoping Hak goes with Zane. As others have said, his ceiling is much much higher than Saunders' and he's shown flashes of brilliances despite allowing a soft goal here and there.

yeah but that won't make any difference. minny over yale 7-2, und over niagara 3-2, minny over und 5-3 and go on to win their sixth. this region effin sucks.

??? I'm usually the pessimist....but I think you have me beat. We beat Niagra and win a thriller over Yale in OT.

Just remember that this is the same Minnesota that was shut out by CC in the Final Five, shut out by Denver earlier in the year, and chocked last year in the Frozen Four. They can be beat. They do have a sh*t-hot goalie, but he is a Freshman, He can be hot, just like Zane, and he can be beat. I think if it does get down to being a UND/Minn game, I think it will be a high scoring shootout.

UND needs to focus on Niagra and let Yale do what they may. If UND is looking ahead, it will be to Oct of 2013 they will be looking. This is the time of the year that upsets happen all the time. So lets beat Niagra and let the other side figure out what happens to them.

• Upvote 1