SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practices

WeAreNorthDakota

Are scholarship players required to stay in GF or is it a choice?

When I played (approximately 10 years ago now) pretty much everyone was on campus with the exception of incoming freshman from mid-June on. There were few if any exceptions to this. It was just understood that if you wanted to contribute you would be there all summer long working out with your teammates even if it wasn't technically "required" due to NCAA violations. I'd assume that's still the case and quite frankly I'd be disappointed if it isn't any longer. I would bet that UND has pretty similar summer workout participation to that of NDSU.

When I played (approximately 10 years ago now) pretty much everyone was on campus with the exception of incoming freshman from mid-June on. There were few if any exceptions to this. It was just understood that if you wanted to contribute you would be there all summer long working out with your teammates even if it wasn't technically "required" due to NCAA violations. I'd assume that's still the case and quite frankly I'd be disappointed if it isn't any longer. I would bet that UND has pretty similar summer workout participation to that of NDSU.

A lot more guys stay than people think. Most of the guys that don't stick around all summer are from the west coast. Those guys need to stay now. With added deapth it'll be a must for guys to stay if they want to start.

Has anyone heard a more definitive update on Adams yet? Saw he was on crutches Saturday. He had sweats on but it looked like a pretty big brace on his leg as well. Wondering how serious his injury is.

I watched the spring game online, and Mussman said he just had surgery recently but is expected to be ready for the upcoming season.

I think it's something like...."Don't leave the state and here put this around your ankle.".

I can't stand the ag school of the south as much as the next UND fan, but I don't understand how you can downplay and poke fun at the idea of staying and working with your teammates during the summer. Whatever program the ag school runs, it works with back-to-back national championships as proof. If UND wants to compete for national titles, they should have the majority of their team working out together during the summer months also. Having the whole team disperse and "have fun" during the summer months will only lead to the mediocrity we've seen from UND football teams the last few seasons.

• Upvote 1

I can't stand the ag school of the south as much as the next UND fan, but I don't understand how you can downplay and poke fun at the idea of staying and working with your teammates during the summer. Whatever program the ag school runs, it works with back-to-back national championships as proof. If UND wants to compete for national titles, they should have the majority of their team working out together during the summer months also. Having the whole team disperse and "have fun" during the summer months will only lead to the mediocrity we've seen from UND football teams the last few seasons.

It was a joke. As someone mentioned earlier, UND generally has a large percentage (majority) of players stick around for the summer.

I don't care who starts as long as they are good.

My big fear is that clear winner will emerge and Muss will do a Quarterback By Committee thing, where he jumps back and forth. Lack of experience is going to lead to some inconsistent playing and could get Muss to shuffle players.
  • Upvote 1

Sorry you didn't "get it" it was a poke at the propensity of their team to have run-ins with the law - often criminals are asked not to leave the state and asked to wear ankle bracelets as trackers - hey it's a Sioux Fan site.

I don't think UND has issues with getting players to work out in the off season or stay around campus. It's just not something we hear about.

My big fear is that clear winner will emerge and Muss will do a Quarterback By Committee thing, where he jumps back and forth. Lack of experience is going to lead to some inconsistent playing and could get Muss to shuffle players.

As we saw in Eastern Washington last season, a quarterback rotation will not work; pick the best player and stick with him, so that the player continues to develop into the best QB he can possibly be. Remember the old football saying, “If you have two starting quarterbacks, you don’t have any.”

• Upvote 2

I see I've got a grammar error there. It should say I'm worried a clear winner WON'T emerge. There is something to be said about proof reading.

They look like they have been taking advantage of the meal plan! Do we know how tall they are? Big shoes to fill in the pass game. My money is on Bartels.

Boy is Mollberg going to be dissappointed if that is the case. He passed up a chance to play at NDSU to avoid competition and now here he is in a competition at UND. ;)

Boy is Mollberg going to be dissappointed if that is the case. He passed up a chance to play at NDSU to avoid competition and now here he is in a competition at UND. ;)

So that's why he didn't go to NDSU. Thanks for the update. :silly:

• Upvote 1

Every school is going to have competition at every position. Even todays starter could be next years backup. Its called life. From Pop Warner to the NFL.

I believe what Molberg said was "He chose UND" geez get over it he "Chose" UND over su, it's happened many times before and it's going to start happening many times again.
  • Upvote 1

I believe what Molberg said was "He chose UND" geez get over it he "Chose" UND over su, it's happened many times before and it's going to start happening many times again.

Take it easy. You must have missed the wink emoticon at the end of my post. Recruits choose schools for a variety of reasons, football isn't always even the biggest reason. Winning brings plenty of goodwill, but it isn't everything. A great example of this is something I've posted here before. UND won the 2001 national championship. 2002 recruiting classes in the state of ND, NDSU crushed UND for the top ND players.

Mollberg looks to be a solid player, would have loved to see him in a Bison uniform.