SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practices

WeAreNorthDakota

UND can be and was for a certain time better than Fargo. But history has shown Fargo to be a better overall program. That's no secret.

Unless you factor in off field issues - they have a long history of that as well that surpasses UND.

Damn I just woke up the trolls - but I might earn some fantasy league points.

bull$%!#...At the highest FBS level I would agree. You don't see many colleges who are dominant in multiple high profile sports. When it comes to FCS, there is no reason UND cannot be as successful.

Montana, Appalachain State, Georgia Southern, and Delaware are some FCS schools which commit to football and the results indicate it.

Well, what's your definition of "successful"? I believe UND can consistently achieve winning records and be in the playoffs, but I'm not quite sure they will be competing for national championships every season. Unless UND decides to even the funding between hockey and football, NDSU will always have the football financial advantage. Fortunately, financial support is not everything so UND certainly could still beat NDSU head-to-head, go farther in the post-season, etc., but the overall success of NDSU's football program will be hard for UND to surpass. I mean, all this talk about potential is great but let's look at the results and actions - NDSU has won more national championships in the last two years than UND's program has in their entire history. Furthermore, UND has done nothing during their DI era to even suggest they are going to be national title contenders anytime soon. I will support the coaching staff and the current direction more once I see results; that is, a winning season while we are members of the Big Sky.

My, we've gotten soft -- haven't we that this is even being debated? This kind of stuff that we are seeing our players do now is the kind of thing we talk in reverence about when we refer to the good ol' days before America got soft -- when we pine and wax nostaligic about the hard-working, salt-of-the-Earth men that live only in our distant memory, if we are old enough, and in our imagination, if we're not.

The current UND players are strong, able-bodied young men, itching to help their program out any way they can. For all we know and don't know, the captains called for volunteers to come out and help shovel the field. Big whoop! It adds character on top of a program already oozing with it. Let other schools coddle their athletes with manicures and pedicures, wait staff and golf carts to chauffeur them on and off the practice field. That kind of royal treatment can only breed contemptment in the end, and probably leads to off-the-field issues as a result of the constant celebrity adoration and mamby-pamby treatment.

I say let the other guys get fat upon the pedestal. It gives the hungry contender a more satisfying target to knock off down the road.

• Upvote 3

My, we've gotten soft -- haven't we that this is even being debated? This kind of stuff that we are seeing our players do now is the kind of thing we talk in reverence about when we refer to the good ol' days before America got soft -- when we pine and wax nostaligic about the hard-working, salt-of-the-Earth men that live only in our distant memory, if we are old enough, and in our imagination, if we're not.

The current UND players are strong, able-bodied young men, itching to help their program out any way they can. For all we know and don't know, the captains called for volunteers to come out and help shovel the field. Big whoop! It adds character on top of a program already oozing with it. Let other schools coddle their athletes with manicures and pedicures, wait staff and golf carts to chauffeur them on and off the practice field. That kind of royal treatment can only breed contemptment in the end, and probably leads to off-the-field issues as a result of the constant celebrity adoration and mamby-pamby treatment.

I say let the other guys get fat upon the pedestal. It gives the hungry contender a more satisfying target to knock off down the road.

Fully agree - this is not a big deal. I bet the majority of them enjoyed doing it with their teammates!

• Upvote 2

Pulled this off b'ville. Someone want to make another argument that the snow melted off considering the snow in the stands, endzone, and sidelines? pretty obvious there is a lot of snow there which has been somehow moved off the field of play into the endzones & sidelines.

bisonpractice_zps324854f4.jpg

Fargo has a snow depth of 10 inches. My yard still has a lot of snow on it. NDSU did what they could to get the players on the field for practice. UND dropped the ball on clearing out Memorial Stadium.

Fargo has a snow depth of 10 inches. My yard still has a lot of snow on it. NDSU did what they could to get the players on the field for practice. UND dropped the ball on clearing out Memorial Stadium.

And I still say, who the he!! cares???!!! It's not like it is August and we're gearing up for the opener only days away. Please tell me what the problem is. It's not like four days is going to make a heck of a lot of difference, even injury wise, for who'll be ready or not for our home opener. We will make up the days this spring one way or another. This seems to be a big deal because eager and anxious fans are hungry to see some football -- understandable but not a big issue.

And I still say, who the he!! cares???!!! It's not like it is August and we're gearing up for the opener only days away. Please tell me what the problem is. It's not like four days is going to make a heck of a lot of difference, even injury wise, for who'll be ready or not for our home opener. We will make up the days this spring one way or another. This seems to be a big deal because eager and anxious fans are hungry to see some football -- understandable but not a big issue.

To your point, they get a set number of practices whether they start on time or a week late. The number they have will still be the same. The only difference is the spring game won't be the end of spring practice, they will still have a week after. Is that any better or worse? I don't think there is a difference.

As for snow levels, I spent the weekend in Fargo, Grand Forks still has considerably more snow on the ground.

Maybe I'm overreacting to this, but any thoughts on why the hell the players are doing their own snow removal from Memorial? Do they do roof repair on the Betty as well, or is facilities maintenance unique to the football squad?

It was absolutely embarrassing to watch the ac football team practicing on a clear field, to be followed by the story of the UND football team delaying the start of spring ball while video footage showed the team removing snow. AC players may talented at collecting signatures, but I would bet a paycheck they were not shoveling snow.

Even MSUMs physical plant personnel removed snow from their practice field last week to ensure the dragon football team could practice.

What's wrong with a humbling team building exercise? I think it's awesome. It's a bit of a tradition that if there is snow on memorial when spring ball is starting the team shovels the field. This isn't the first time.

• Upvote 1

It adds character on top of a program already oozing with it. Let other schools coddle their athletes with manicures and pedicures, wait staff and golf carts to chauffeur them on and off the practice field. That kind of royal treatment can only breed contemptment in the end, and probably leads to off-the-field issues as a result of the constant celebrity adoration and mamby-pamby treatment.

Haha. Thats funny. You are trying to make a case that this is a good thing. Not that it is a horrible thing...but certainly not a good thing.

So lets take a step back and look at this situation with the snow. If mussman wanted the snow gone by today all he would have to do is pick up the phone and it would be done. Maybe he had the crazy idea that it would be a good team building exercise to kick start spring ball and show anyone with a prima Dona attitude that they aren't above humble tasks like shoveling snow off of the field. I like it. Anyone who thinks its because the football team is that far down the list of priorities is kidding themselves.

Exactly and amen, brother.

Go ahead and compare the training facilities/locker rooms/catered meals during the week/team lounge/etc. and tell me the hockey program doesn't get different treatment around here. :lol:

The reality is that they weren't able to have anyone clear the snow because plant services was not willing to take equipment on the field for fear of ruining the new carpet. This was never the case on the old turf. I agree with you, that it was a great team building exercise......it does seem like it could have been done earlier though.

Go ahead and compare the training facilities/locker rooms/catered meals during the week/team lounge/etc. and tell me the hockey program doesn't get different treatment around here. :lol:

The reality is that they weren't able to have anyone clear the snow because plant services was not willing to take equipment on the field for fear of ruining the new carpet. This was never the case on the old turf. I agree with you, that it was a great team building exercise......it does seem like it could have been done earlier though.

New carpet you say? Care to tell me when they installed this 'new carpet' at memorial?

Compare the facilities of our hockey team with any program in the country at any school. That is not a reflection on how UND treats its other programs. The Ralph is just one of the nicest athletic buildings in all levels of sports.

In regards to the other comparisons, the IPF is long overdue. When that gets completed, it will be a major upgrade to all sports.

Compare the facilities of our hockey team with any program in the country at any school. That is not a reflection on how UND treats its other programs. The Ralph is just one of the nicest athletic buildings in all levels of sports.

In regards to the other comparisons, the IPF is long overdue. When that gets completed, it will be a major upgrade to all sports.

I don't disagree with your point but, if it wasn't for Ralph, we wouldn't the REA. Who knows, we may still be in the original REA.

I don't disagree with your point but, if it wasn't for Ralph, we wouldn't the REA. Who knows, we may still be in the original REA.

That is my point. Not a fair comparison to compare facilities of hockey vs. other sports.

Yes, Memorial has sprinturf that was installed 3 or 4 years back I believe.

It's the same turf ndsu has on their field. It's easy to clear with a bobcat with the spinning brush attachment. That stuff is not new nor are they worried about what a bobcat would do to it as evidence of the picture of coach Breitbach using a snowblower on it which I would guess could do more damage that the bobcat.

Yes, Memorial has sprinturf that was installed 3 or 4 years back I believe.

A new artificial turf was installed prior to the 1998 season, and the current turf was installed in 2007.

I assume you've done this before then?? .....and did you just equate a Bobcat to a walk behind snowblower? Don't you think they would have driven a Bobcat out rather than having them shovel if it was something they thought could be done? Wow.

Because sometimes doing the easy thing isn't always the best thing. What's wrong with building character and team chemistry?