SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Division I Teams?

GeauxSioux

With the popularity of the Hawks right now, you would think it would be a prime opportunity for UI or Northwestern to start a hockey program.

Chances are Northwestern never will because if they wanted too they could at any time. Since they're private you can't get their financial information but I've seen in some places that people with knowledge inside Northwestern have been saying the University has BILLIONS of dollars, but won't put much of it towards athletics because they're far more concerned about research and stuff.

Plus, it would be damn tough to compete in DI hockey with their school. It wouldn't be easy to field a full team of DI caliber hockey players that are smart enough to get into Northwestern.

Technically I don't think they would have to add a women's hockey team. They need to add an equal amount of opportunity. That opportunity is supposed to appeal to the female student population of the school. So they could add more scholarships to existing sports or add a less expensive sport that appeals to their female students. It will add cost, but may not be as expensive as adding women's hockey.

I don't think they can just add more scholarships, but the other sport doesn't have to be hockey. I know when I swam in undergrad and there wasn't a men's team, we were tied to men's wrestling for Title IX purposes.

I don't think they can just add more scholarships, but the other sport doesn't have to be hockey. I know when I swam in undergrad and there wasn't a men's team, we were tied to men's wrestling for Title IX purposes.

They would have to add the requisite expenses associated with those scholarships. But they don't have to add another sport. Right now UND has more women's sports than men's. They don't have to add sport for sport. They have to support equivalent opportunities. And those opportunities are supposed to fit with the interests of the male and female students. If they have a women's sport that they don't currently support very well financially, they could increase funding for that sport to meet the requirements if they added men's hockey.

Here is a simple rundown on the guidelines.

1. Whether the selection of sports and levels of competition effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of members of both sexes;
  2. The provision of equipment and supplies;
  3. Scheduling of games and practice time;
  4. Travel and per diem allowance;
  5. Opportunity to receive coaching and academic tutoring on mathematics only;
  6. Assignment and compensation of coaches and tutors;
  7. Provision of locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities;
  8. Provision of medical and training facilities and services;
  9. Provision of housing and dining facilities and services;
  10. Publicity.

Unequal aggregate expenditures for members of each sex or unequal expenditures for male and female teams if a recipient operates or sponsors separate teams will not constitute noncompliance with this section, but the Assistant Secretary [of Education for Civil Rights] may consider the failure to provide necessary funds for teams for one sex in assessing equality of opportunity for members of each sex.

Chances are Northwestern never will because if they wanted too they could at any time. Since they're private you can't get their financial information but I've seen in some places that people with knowledge inside Northwestern have been saying the University has BILLIONS of dollars, but won't put much of it towards athletics because they're far more concerned about research and stuff.

Plus, it would be damn tough to compete in DI hockey with their school. It wouldn't be easy to field a full team of DI caliber hockey players that are smart enough to get into Northwestern.

But they can field a sem-competitve FOOTBALL TEAM? C'mon... Of course they can find enough players. Harvard does. Yale does...

• Upvote 1

I think the best way for a new college team to be successful is to draw as many fans as possible right from the start. To do that you need to be based in an area where hockey is popular. IMO that isn't Arizona, Iowa, or Nebraska, but the Chicago area definitely is, as is the majority of the Upper NE of the US. That leads me to believe someone like Northwestern, U of ILL or Rutgers could be next. I think most of the schools in the NE that are going to play hockey at a D1 level already do, much like MN and MI.

What about Colorado (Boulder)?

My guess is that the next DI programs will be on BTN.

I suspect it'll be Iowa or Northwestern or Indiana.

I would doubt it would be Iowa, the closest rink to Iowa City is in the Coralville Mall 10 miles away and maybe seats 200-300 people. It is not adjacent to the mall it is literally in the concourse of the mall.

I'm surprised the University of Colorado and Colorado State University don't have D1 hockey. I'd like to some western schools pick-up hockey as a D1 sport. Montana and Montana State are two shools I'd like to see add hockey (there is a teir 3 Junior "A" league in the major towns/citys). Eastern Washington plays Canadain Colleges they could make the jump to D1, I think If the NHL ends up in Seattle maybe Washington adds hockey.

To me it looks like UND is trying to expand college hockey (into Canada at least). The Winnipeg game might have been the start, if UND does schedule a game in British Columbia next season just another building block.

I think the best way for a new college team to be successful is to draw as many fans as possible right from the start. To do that you need to be based in an area where hockey is popular. IMO that isn't Arizona, Iowa, or Nebraska, but the Chicago area definitely is, as is the majority of the Upper NE of the US. That leads me to believe someone like Northwestern, U of ILL or Rutgers could be next. I think most of the schools in the NE that are going to play hockey at a D1 level already do, much like MN and MI.

What about Colorado (Boulder)?

CU has no nearby arena for hockey. How about Colorado State?

There is a 5000 + arena (Budweiser Events Center) right down the road. Air Force would be a natural rival. CC/DU would probably throw them a bone. They have a very aggressive athletic director right now. Their club teams (two in ACHA, one D-w, one D-3) seem to be doing well. Problem might be getitng a conference. WCHA seems full. They'd have to travel east it would appear.

ASU also is trying to decide what to do with their football stadium. They figure it should cost a couple of hundred million to do. Don't think they are going to spend money on a rink right now. They would most likely have to play in the US Airways arena and compete with the Suns for time. Right now their club team plays in arena that the high schools only practice in. AZSIOUX should remember this place on McClintock just south of McKellips and north of the 202.

IMG_0536.jpg

I've played adult league in the Ocean Rink you are referencing, yeah definately not D1 worthy, Jobing.com is way too far from campus, as is the Ice Den in Scottsdale, and the Arcadia rink in downtown phx is too outdated for the NCAA to allow a team to play there. Not trying to be the negative one, but I agree the sundevils will not have a d1 presence anytime soon.

I believe the Nebraska AD recently mentioned there are no plans to start hockey anytime soon.

After being in Omaha, I don't think there is any chance Nebraska would or should start a program. Most of the people I ran into had no idea there was hockey going on that weekend and everyone of them said we only care about Nebraska football here. Just don't think there would be enough fan support. They need to have only one program in that state in which they currently have.

CU has no nearby arena for hockey. How about Colorado State?

There is a 5000 + arena (Budweiser Events Center) right down the road. Air Force would be a natural rival. CC/DU would probably throw them a bone. They have a very aggressive athletic director right now. Their club teams (two in ACHA, one D-w, one D-3) seem to be doing well. Problem might be getitng a conference. WCHA seems full. They'd have to travel east it would appear.

NCHC could use a doormat.

Harvard, Yale, Wisconsin, Brown, Princeton, et al do not seem to have a problem.

I've played adult league in the Ocean Rink you are referencing, yeah definately not D1 worthy, Jobing.com is way too far from campus, as is the Ice Den in Scottsdale, and the Arcadia rink in downtown phx is too outdated for the NCAA to allow a team to play there. Not trying to be the negative one, but I agree the sundevils will not have a d1 presence anytime soon.

The Ice Den is too small. That Arcadia arena is a dump. The glass around the rink is so bad you can't really see through it. Looking through it is like looking through a real badly scratched pair off glasses.

Discuss:

The coyotes move to Seattle will do more to grow hockey than a team in Pheonix.

Potential reasoning,

The northwest, already better primed with a larger potential fan base of hockey interested/playing/ watching.....could possibly use this p grow D1 programs and possible a new conference out of schools like your Washingtons, Oregon, universities...could allow growth enough for one day a truly more westerly central wcha and the allow for the rebirth of a ccha, in addition to expanded schools in the big ten.

Not an easy road but growing the sport in naturally hockey areas would be more successfull than shoehorning schools to add ice in areas it's just so too tough a sell.

Discuss:

The coyotes move to Seattle will do more to grow hockey than a team in Pheonix.

Potential reasoning,

The northwest, already better primed with a larger potential fan base of hockey interested/playing/ watching.....could possibly use this p grow D1 programs and possible a new conference out of schools like your Washingtons, Oregon, universities...could allow growth enough for one day a truly more westerly central wcha and the allow for the rebirth of a ccha, in addition to expanded schools in the big ten.

Not an easy road but growing the sport in naturally hockey areas would be more successfull than shoehorning schools to add ice in areas it's just so too tough a sell.

I never heard that rumor. Now, I see that Quebec City is building a $400 million dollar arena. hmmm....

The WCHA would have still been the strongest conference in the NCAA had it not been for ____ going for a money grab and giving the big FU to the smaller schools left behind.

Yo, shortbus, see if you can figure out which two names go in that blank long before the "UND, DU, CC" you tried putting in there. Your hints are "Goldie" and "Buckie".

• Upvote 2

I'd love to have a chance to see UND play two miles from my house! Add Air Force and CSU to the NCHC! I'll contact NDSU's athletic department to get a petition drive started.

Back in the early 90s NDSUs club team took home a few titles if I remember right...........

,......but now that the have their jv success there's no way they touch the issue,

I never heard that rumor. Now, I see that Quebec City is building a $400 million dollar arena. hmmm....

I'd say the Seattle move is nearly guaranteed now that the Sacremento basketball team is moving up there and there will be an areana built to house both. And every attempt to get a buyer for the Yotes has failed...

Quebec and Markam (just outside of Toronto) would be looking to either take another struggling team or hope the NHL will expand.

I think there will be contraction of programs long, long before any expansion.

I agree. Expansion is fun to think about and discuss, but unless a rich alumnus of some school who is crazy about hockey donates millions of dollars tor the specific purpose of starting a team, I don't think any major university is going to start hockey in the foreseeable future.