SiouxSports.com Forum

The Legislature Strikes Back

The Sicatoka

I took physics as an elective while getting my BA in econ, wound up taking the calculus courses (which i should have anyways, contra my advisors) now i'm almost done with an engineering degree which had never even crossed my mind before my junior year in college. I didn't even know that engineering was a thing coming out of high school. Taking an extra year or two really isn't a big deal, I don't think college is something you should rush, although my route has been far longer than i would wish on anyone who wants to remain sane.

what does concern me are the laughably low admissions standards for the school. I know of at least half a dozen people who have gotten into UND with sub-18's on their act. We let these people in, pack them into giant lecture halls, take their money and kick them out a year and 20 grand poorer. It does a huge disservice to those people and in my opinion detracts from the academic and intellectual culture of the school.

I agree that there are people in college that really shouldn't be there. I don't place all of the blame on the colleges. Their high schools and their parents should be able to recognize that for some of them and they should be encouraged to look at other avenues. Trade schools are a great alternative for many. Unfortunately, it is part of the culture. People watch television and movies, and assume that everyone should be going to college. College isn't the answer for everyone.

On the other hand, just having a lower ACT score doesn't mean that the individual can't succeed in college. It depends on the individual and the reasons for the low ACT score. Some people weren't interested or engaged in high school. Some have difficulty learning, especially in subjects where they don't have an interest. Some come from weak school systems. Some of these individuals can succeed if they have some help getting started. Maybe they need a different entry point rather than going directly to UND. For example, Northland and Lake Region might be places for them to take the first year of generals so they can learn study skills. But saying that they don't belong because of their low ACT scores or other criteria may not do them justice.

and now, back to the topic

Board of Higher Ed passes resolution supporting Shirvani

from Bismarck Tribune

Espegard supported the resolution and called for the vote.

“I think it’s time to vote on whether you support the chancellor and support the board,” he said.

Reichert emphasized that while she supports the board, that view is oversimplified.

“To just say ‘I support the chancellor’ or ‘I don’t support the chancellor’ is oversimplifying the issue,” she said.

Hull agreed, saying he did not appreciate the “either you support the board or you don’t” dichotomy of Espegard’s remarks.

Last week, Holloway presented the board with a report that found no substantive evidence that the board violated open meeting laws or that Shirvani had misrepresented himself on his resume.

Reichert said that while she appreciated last week’s report, it addressed the details, not the larger picture.

“We need to be talking about themes that run through the report,” she said.

Specifically, Reichert identified lack of transparency and miscommunication as issues the board needs to address.

“We seem to be at odds with our stakeholders right now,” she said.

Shocking. :glare: The Board had to support Shirvani...by admitting any type of error in hiring him (whether it was an actual error or not), they are just making themselves sitting ducks for the continued vendetta Al Carlson has against SBOHE. More and more members of the legislature are showing their displeasure for the Board, why add ammunition?

Shocking. :glare: The Board had to support Shirvani...by admitting any type of error in hiring him (whether it was an actual error or not), they are just making themselves sitting ducks for the continued vendetta Al Carlson has against SBOHE. More and more members of the legislature are showing their displeasure for the Board, why add ammunition?

Al Carlson has his plate full not only with the SBoHE but if Fargo goes under this year with the flood (I pray to God they don't), he would look stupid by not allowing the diversion and flood buyouts proper funding.

Al Carlson has his plate full not only with the SBoHE but if Fargo goes under this year with the flood (I pray to God they don't), he would look stupid by not allowing the diversion and flood buyouts proper funding.

In his defense (doesn't feel good saying that), Fargo does not have a plan let alone an approved plan. What good would state funding do?

In his defense (doesn't feel good saying that), Fargo does not have a plan let alone an approved plan. What good would state funding do?

According to our mayor (fwiw) there is a plan and he needs the funds to put it in place. I say put up a giant flood wall like GF did and quit building in the flood plain (Walmart and Davies high school)

Watching the ND legislature from afar, it seems as though they've gone completely off the rails. ND voters need to stop using the election process as means of increasing the average IQ of their districts by sending the village idiot to Bismarck.

the problem is that anyone elected that would welcome change...is told that "it is not the way that things are done". I just wish that some of them would challenge the "the way things are done" even just once.

To bring facebook and what people in north Dakota are talking about in the country to this forum.. ND is basically trying to make abortions illegal. The gov has been silent. Makes me think he will veto it, at least if he wants to keep his job. (Waste of taxpayer money trying to defend it).

See how I talked politics without being partisan?!

To bring facebook and what people in north Dakota are talking about in the country to this forum.. ND is basically trying to make abortions illegal. The gov has been silent. Makes me think he will veto it, at least if he wants to keep his job. (Waste of taxpayer money trying to defend it).

See how I talked politics without being partisan?!

I can't believe he signed them. At least it will be abortion in an endless legal battle and not the sioux name.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting Summary by the SBoHE legal counsel in Fargo Forum. I believe the lack of leadership and intervention by Espegard and SBoHE is similar to the lack of leadership and timely intervention at Rutgers. Shirvani hasn't physically abused people like those coaches did , but his verbal abuse and intimidation is clear. Depending on the situation, the verbal harassment if applied to certain groups, including women, minorities, and veterans could be a violation of the law. Espegard and the board has failed the people of the State of N. Dak. not having stepped in the first month the guy was here. To enable his behavior and to hold meetings that the former legal counsel with an opinion from the Attorney General's office made clear violate the open meeting law, shows an arrogance and lack of respect for our state's citizens and our students and the intitutions of higher education. The negative comments about our students and the student member of the state board by Shirvani should not stand. Espegard's defence of this guy only exposes his own ignorance and lack of courage.

Were I a jounalist, I would do an expose on this guy starting with his problems as Dean of the Denver School of Architecture and his forced resignation and the reasons. I would then expose his reputation as an arrogant abusive dictator at his last school and investigate the harassment lawsuit that was settled out of court and also the reason he was investigated by the Attorney General's office of California. I would also check into the votes of no confidence agaisnt him t both schools. I would then investigate how the SBoHE would hire this guy in the first place and then how Espegard failed to intervene as this guy abused his staff and then ignored sound legal advice from legal counsel and the Attorney General's office. Anyone who thinks this is just fall out from cleaning up an existing mess is a fool. This jerk has also upset many of our states Supts and School District staffs and has demonstrated he is not interested in engaging that group in any type of diologue concerning preparing kids for college and and successful transition to higher ed or jobs.

Are Shirvani and the SBoHE the only people in the state who think our insitutions of higher education and our students don't deserve better???

Now that the North Dakota Student Association and former ND college presidents came out with a vote of no confidence, two days ago over 90% of professors at Mayville State declared no confidence in Shirvani.

How much smoke do you need before fire?

Now that the North Dakota Student Association and former ND college presidents came out with a vote of no confidence, two days ago over 90% of professors at Mayville State declared no confidence in Shirvani.

Minot State's professors also voted a couple of days ago to express no confidence in him.

• 1 year later...

http://governor.nd.g...igher-education

Somewhat related. The Governor has named Kevin Melicher (Fargo) as his next appointee to the SBoHE, replacing Espegaard (Grand Forks). Also, the Governor will be choosing from 3 students (ALL from ndsu) to take the next student representative spot (currently held by Devils Lake/Mayville). If approved by the Senate, this will make 4/8 board members from Fargo. Other members are from Grand Forks (1), Bismarck (1), Minot (1), and Tioga (1). Interesting......

http://governor.nd.g...igher-education

Somewhat related. The Governor has named Kevin Melicher (Fargo) as his next appointee to the SBoHE, replacing Espegaard (Grand Forks). Also, the Governor will be choosing from 3 students (ALL from ndsu) to take the next student representative spot (currently held by Devils Lake/Mayville). If approved by the Senate, this will make 4/8 board members from Fargo. Other members are from Grand Forks (1), Bismarck (1), Minot (1), and Tioga (1). Interesting......

Not surprising: http://en.wikipedia....nd_early_career

Dalrymple was born on October 16, 1948 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He grew up in Casselton, North Dakota on his family's farm, which was established in 1875 as the state's first large-scale wheat farm. He graduated with honors from Yale University, with a B.S. in American Studies. He then returned to North Dakota to manage the farming operations

He served on the Casselton Jobs Development Commission, and helped to found Share House, Inc., a Fargo residential treatment program for those recovering from alcohol or drug dependencies. He is a former chairman of the Board for Prairie Public Television, and he was named the Outstanding Young Farmer of the United States of America in 1983.

What do you expect from a Bison fan.

Also, the Governor will be choosing from 3 students (ALL from ndsu) to take the next student representative spot (currently held by Devils Lake/Mayville).

That spot rotates among the colleges of the NDUS. It's NDSU's spot in the rotation. And I do believe the student member is a non-voting member of the board.

That spot rotates among the colleges of the NDUS. It's NDSU's spot in the rotation. And I do believe the student member is a non-voting member of the board.

Student member is a voting member and, if it rotates, it doesn't make much sense that an ndsu student held the spot prior to the current appointee as well.

Student member is a voting member and, if it rotates, it doesn't make much sense that an ndsu student held the spot prior to the current appointee as well.

From what I could find, the student spot is selected by the Governor from a list submitted by the North Dakota Student Association.