SiouxSports.com Forum

All Time Sioux Greats Roster, who would you choose?

tho0505

Who would you choose as an All Time Sioux Greats Roster, if you're limited to 23 players total including goalies? Here is my roster, I took in consideration first and foremost production at UND, leadership, and championships. I used some consideration of their production in the NHL (see Ed Belfour top 5 goalie in the history of the NHL had to make the list despite 1 season at UND).

Here's my roster:

5 Jason Blake C 7 Troy Murray C 8 Doug Smail RW 9 Greg Johnson C 9 Jonathan Toews C 11 Zach Parise LW 11 Dixon Ward RW 11 Teeder Wynne C 16 Ryan Duncan RW 17 Jeff Panzer C 20 Bob Joyce LW 21 Tony Hrkac C 21 Matt Frattin RW 2 Matt Greene D 6 Nick Namenko D 7 Brad Bombardir D 5 Chay Genoway D 2 Curtis Murphy D 6 Ian Kidd D 3 James Patrick D 35 Jon Casey G 1 Karl Goehring G 29 Ed Belfour G Honorable Mentions 7 TJ Oshie LW 18 Drew Stafford RW Travis Zajac C Dave Christian LW 13 Landon Wilson RW 7 Danny Kristo LW 10 Corban Knight C 22 Mike Commodore D 2 Dave Hakstol D 34 JP Lamoureux G 25 Phil Sykes F Mark Taylor F Cary Eades RW

Keep in mind, I grew up watching and attending games in the 90s as a kid. So players like Wynne, Bombardir, and Namenko were some of my favorites.

My roster, easier to view

5 Jason Blake C

7 Troy Murray C

8 Doug Smail RW

9 Greg Johnson C

9 Jonathan Toews C

11 Zach Parise LW

11 Dixon Ward RW

11 Teeder Wynne C

16 Ryan Duncan RW

17 Jeff Panzer C

20 Bob Joyce LW

21 Tony Hrkac C

21 Matt Frattin RW

2 Matt Greene D

6 Nick Namenko D

7 Brad Bombardir D

5 Chay Genoway D

2 Curtis Murphy D

6 Ian Kidd D

3 James Patrick D

35 Jon Casey G

1 Karl Goehring G

29 Ed Belfour G

Honorable Mentions

7 TJ Oshie LW

18 Drew Stafford

RW Travis Zajac

C Dave Christian

LW 13 Landon Wilson

RW 7 Danny Kristo

LW 10 Corban Knight

C 22 Mike Commodore

D 2 Dave Hakstol D

34 JP Lamoureux G

25 Phil Sykes F

Mark Taylor F

Cary Eades RW

The honorable mention list could go on for pages, thats why its so tough to pin down a 23 team roster. As you'll notice I dont have anyone who played for UND prior to 1979, thats crazy considering the titles we had as well before than. That's how great UND's tradition of players is.

I starting doing a All time list for a couple WHL teams (as I live out west) Tri City Americans (Carey Price, Olaf Kolzig, Stu Barnes) and Spokane Chiefs (Grabner, Tyler Johnson, Kyle Beach), and I had trouble coming up with a 23 man roster.

Mine is more recent based since I am only 22 and didn't get a chance to see a lot of the greats from the 1980's and earlier. I went with a mix of very good players and some of the guys I enjoyed watching most and like everyone has said a lot more that could gone on a honorable mention list. I went with only 2 goalies because I didn't want to take any of my forwards off this roster.

Zach Parise-Drew Stafford-Brandon Bochenski

Ryan Duncan-Jonathan Toews- T.J. Oshie

Chris VandeVelde- Corban Knight- Jason Gregoire

Evan Trupp- Brad Malone- Matt Frattin

Danny Kristo-Travis Zajac

Taylor Chorney- Robbie Bina

Chay Genoway- Matt Greene

Matt Smaby-Mike Commodore

Travis Roche

Karl Goehring

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux

A few guys on my honorable mention list- Matt Jones, Brock Nelson, Ryan Bayda, David Hale, Jordan Parise, and many other guys that could be added to this list as well.

How about:

Don Ross

Bill Reichart

Gordon Christian

Bill Steenson

Ben Cherski

John Noah

Just to name a few.

But who do you remove from my roster then? Wynne, Namenko, and Bombarbier can go, but who else do you remove? Maybe Toews, but can you really move anyone else?

This is TOUGH - but I'll give it my best shot............

Forwards

Hrkac - Joyce - Pelawa (taking a bit of respectful liberty here, I know... I think it would have been incredible)

J. Toews - G. Johnson - Jeff Panzer

Blake - D. Christian - G. Christian

Eades - Archibald - Duncan

Smail - Taylor

Defense

Commodore - Greene

Kidd - Patrick

Chorney - Nomenko

Bombardir

Goal

Goehring

Belfour

Coach

May, Blais

Craig Ludwig spent a lot of time in the NHL and is on the Stanley cup. Does he fit in here anywhere?

Only issue I have with an All Time Great Sioux team is the players need to have made a major impact at UND, not necessarily after. Factoring in a successful pro career is good, but what was there impact at UND and for UND.

Doing decade teams would be far easier than an overall team, but its still fun to see who people would take.

Only issue I have with an All Time Great Sioux team is the players need to have made a major impact at UND, not necessarily after. Factoring in a successful pro career is good, but what was there impact at UND and for UND.

Doing decade teams would be far easier than an overall team, but its still fun to see who people would take.

If for UND is part of the criteria....how is Ralph not on every team?

FOR UND is PART of the criteria, not the entire criteria. I talking about Belfour, he won a title at UND. But only played one season. Looking at numbers, JP Lamoureux should probably make the team before him (wins at UND, time spent, save %, GAA). Same thing could be said about Toews. But overall when you take in what Belfour has done having his name attached to the program, you got to take Belfour. That's the FOR I'm taking about.

Playing in only 12 games and giving millions of dollars to a school doesn't make you part of the All Time Greats roster. He has done wonderful things for the program, no doubt, but he still wouldn't find a spot on my roster.

Anyone that puts Ralph Engelstad on their version of an all-time team should get a DQ just for that. Our whole program has begun to revolve around Ralph Engelstad, the number "23", Ralph Engelstad Arena and UND players in the NHL and that is not a healthy dynamic.

Please people, limit your selections to players that made a difference in winning games and championships.

• Upvote 2

Ill go with the NEW RALPH ERA for my list to keep it more simple...

my grinder line would be McMahon-Prpich-Kaip :)

What do the 3 players listed above all have in common when they played for UND??

FORWARDS

Zach Parise

Tj Oshie

Jason Gregoire

Brandon Bochenski

Jonathan Toews

Rastislov Spirko

Ryan Duncan

Brock Nelson

Travis Zajac

Mike Prpich

Danny Kristo

Rory McMahon

Ryan Kaip

Matt Frattin

Corban Knight

Brad Malone

DEFENSEMEN

Matt Greene

Ben Blood

Andrew Macwilliam

Matt Jones

Andy Schneider

Chay Genoway

Robbie Bina

GOALIES

JPL

Jake Brandt

ACTUAL 3rd Stringer- Tate Maris (based off the funniest twitter account, plays music and operates the most efficient bench door in the nation) #thirdstringproblems ha

I missed the pre-1984 guys, but since then three guys that to me towered over college hockey in their last seasons were:

Hrkac

Jeff Panzer

Frattin

Each was the best player in college hockey by a pretty fair stretch. That's who I would start with.

Other thoughts: Toews was silky smooth in a way I haven't seen before or since. Odd that Steve Johnson hasn't gotten much love, as he did lead the nation in scoring his senior year. Although I didn't see them play, I have to think Taylor, Smail and Murray probably belong on these lists.