SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Northern Colorado

bincitysioux

I have to admit that had you told me two months ago that UND would win as many as four Big Sky road games, I'd have never believed it. This has been a very pleasant surprise, particularly given how short-handed the team has been most of the season.

I concur with this, especially with the injuries and other player issues they've had to battle. The only downside is they have been more inconsistent at home than I would have thought.

The two games I think are legitimate that everyone would like to have back are SDSU and UMKC. You change those results to W's despite a roster that has been in flux for the entire season, due to injuries and other things. We could very nearly have a winning record. The coach's and all the players have really had to work hard for everything this year.

I still like Benton, I'm not sure what kind of career he will have here. But if he's allowed to move to a 2 or 3 as his career progresses, he might just have a solid career here at UND. One thing for sure, the kid plays so hard, but then again most of our players do. There have been very few times where effort has been an issue with this team this year.

If there is any justice in the world at all we'll get as healthy as we can for upcoming games and next year...no significant injuries.

The two games I think are legitimate that everyone would like to have back are SDSU and UMKC. You change those results to W's despite a roster that has been in flux for the entire season, due to injuries and other things. We could very nearly have a winning record. The coach's and all the players have really had to work hard for everything this year.

I still like Benton, I'm not sure what kind of career he will have here. But if he's allowed to move to a 2 or 3 as his career progresses, he might just have a solid career here at UND. One thing for sure, the kid plays so hard, but then again most of our players do. There have been very few times where effort has been an issue with this team this year.

If there is any justice in the world at all we'll get as healthy as we can for upcoming games and next year...no significant injuries.

With our full lineup through the entire year this team would have 4-5 more wins no doubt. I agree with you on how hard Benton plays but my concern with him is his foot speed is very slow. Once he is moved to the 2 or 3 a guard will blow right by him on defense like I have seen many times this year. He is doing great right now cause he is a physcial banger underneath and has indeed taken advantage of his opportunity with all the injuries cause he was only a 6 minute a game player just 5 games ago. I hear Brekke and Schuler should be back next week and I hope Jones goes back to his most solid lineup very quickly with Anderson, Webb, Huff, Schuler and Brekke starting cause this is our best lineup and most efficient players. These 5 juniors have done amazing things together and they are no doubt our best players. You then have Wilmer, Archer, Antwi and Benton backing them up and in a tournament crunch narrow the bench even more. Jones has done a remarkable job this year with all the adversity. Go Sioux

Jones has done a remarkable job this year with all the adversity.

I think Jones has done a pretty good job with the juniors to get them to this point. While things may not always be as rosy as the early '90s D-II heyday that gets regaled on this site, this group will (hopefully) be team that makes Men's BB at UND relevant again. Since this group were Freshmen, they've gone from being a poor free throw shooting team to a good free throw shooting team. They've gone from a team that couldn't win on the road, to a team that can and does win on the road. They've gone from a team that was usually on the losing end of tight games to often on the winning end of tight games. While this year's team has the pieces to put together some post-season heroics, I think it's safe to say that next year is the year that we've been waiting for. With all the optimism surrounding this group of players since they arrived here, I am to the point now that I'm concerned about what happens when these guys graduate. With the exception of Quinton Hooker, I am not aware of any recruits that will advance the program as a whole past next season. Where Jones is really going to prove his mettle is putting together a team for 2014-15.

With our full lineup through the entire year this team would have 4-5 more wins no doubt. I agree with you on how hard Benton plays but my concern with him is his foot speed is very slow. Once he is moved to the 2 or 3 a guard will blow right by him on defense like I have seen many times this year. He is doing great right now cause he is a physcial banger underneath and has indeed taken advantage of his opportunity with all the injuries cause he was only a 6 minute a game player just 5 games ago. I hear Brekke and Schuler should be back next week and I hope Jones goes back to his most solid lineup very quickly with Anderson, Webb, Huff, Schuler and Brekke starting cause this is our best lineup and most efficient players. These 5 juniors have done amazing things together and they are no doubt our best players. You then have Wilmer, Archer, Antwi and Benton backing them up and in a tournament crunch narrow the bench even more. Jones has done a remarkable job this year with all the adversity. Go Sioux

Agree with what Jones has done. Hadn't really given him much credit in the past, although I still would like to see the team be more coherent offensively.

Going into the season, thought we'd make the playoffs, but also thought the adjustment to the Big Sky would take a toll. To be third at this point, with the loss of Traylor, with the loss of Nash, with the injuries to Huff, Brekke, and Schuler is almost unthinkable.

Next year, this team should have great depth both in the back court and in the front, giving the opportunity to really push the pace. Hooker needs to play, not redshirt. Too often, in DI, a player is lost to injury and then can't have an medical redshirt like in DII if they redshirted. Play Hooker so he gets four years of play. Hooker needs to be getting experience for the following year, as he needs to be that leader with Anderson, Webb, Schuler, and Huff all gone.

I just want to go on record, and say that Doug Archer was solid last night. Did a lot of little things. A lot of those seniors sometimes they are maligned for not being of the ability of their junior counterparts but they really do a lot of the little things that make us go in the games that we win. For example just a couple of weeks ago, Allard was having a rough go, and then he has a great sequence in the 2nd half that helps us preserve the win vs Idaho St. I think Wilmer has just been outstanding in what he has given us this year. Reality wise, what more can you really expect from him?

I have to admit that I was guilty that the current 5th year seniors were going to be a a super class in talent when they arrived on campus. What we ended up with was a bunch of guys that are willing to do just about anything to make this team work. You need those guys too. I hope we go on a run for these seniors. And I guess if we're going to make a run, they are going to have to provide us the required depth and do those little things in order for us to make a run.

I think Jones has done a pretty good job with the juniors to get them to this point. While things may not always be as rosy as the early '90s D-II heyday that gets regaled on this site, this group will (hopefully) be team that makes Men's BB at UND relevant again. Since this group were Freshmen, they've gone from being a poor free throw shooting team to a good free throw shooting team. They've gone from a team that couldn't win on the road, to a team that can and does win on the road. They've gone from a team that was usually on the losing end of tight games to often on the winning end of tight games. While this year's team has the pieces to put together some post-season heroics, I think it's safe to say that next year is the year that we've been waiting for. With all the optimism surrounding this group of players since they arrived here, I am to the point now that I'm concerned about what happens when these guys graduate. With the exception of Quinton Hooker, I am not aware of any recruits that will advance the program as a whole past next season. Where Jones is really going to prove his mettle is putting together a team for 2014-15.

I've had the same thoughts, who have we got to replace this class with and I would only hope are even better talent but the only recruit so far that I know of is Hooker. As of right now after next year we will have Antwi for one year, Benton for 2 years, Salmonson for 1 year and Hooker for 3 years and thats it. Unless we get some really good JUCO players or find a couple more great players like we have in the junior class now we will not be nearly as good in my opinion. The bad of having such a dominant class that comprise 5 players that have scored most all the points since their arrival is replacing them when the time comes. The good is that they have won 2 championships and had the number 1 freshman scoring class in the nation, #3 as sophomores and with all the injuries they are the number 1 scoring junior class, truly remarkable. I only hope Jones and company have some hidden gems that they are keeping behind closed doors.

Agree with what Jones has done. Hadn't really given him much credit in the past, although I still would like to see the team be more coherent offensively.

Going into the season, thought we'd make the playoffs, but also thought the adjustment to the Big Sky would take a toll. To be third at this point, with the loss of Traylor, with the loss of Nash, with the injuries to Huff, Brekke, and Schuler is almost unthinkable.

Next year, this team should have great depth both in the back court and in the front, giving the opportunity to really push the pace. Hooker needs to play, not redshirt. Too often, in DI, a player is lost to injury and then can't have an medical redshirt like in DII if they redshirted. Play Hooker so he gets four years of play. Hooker needs to be getting experience for the following year, as he needs to be that leader with Anderson, Webb, Schuler, and Huff all gone.

The problem I see with playing Hooker is where or who does he play for. We will have 4 senior guards that have been everything since they have been here in Webb, Anderson, Huff and Schuler and then you add Antwi and Benton as guards. So that is 6 proven guards that have the experience and talent. Very tough decision for the coaches indeed.

The problem I see with playing Hooker is where or who does he play for. We will have 4 senior guards that have been everything since they have been here in Webb, Anderson, Huff and Schuler and then you add Antwi and Benton as guards. So that is 6 proven guards that have the experience and talent. Very tough decision for the coaches indeed.

Measure his (Hooker's) talent and composure when he gets here and then sit him, start him or sub him accordingly.

I've had the same thoughts, who have we got to replace this class with and I would only hope are even better talent but the only recruit so far that I know of is Hooker. As of right now after next year we will have Antwi for one year, Benton for 2 years, Salmonson for 1 year and Hooker for 3 years and thats it. Unless we get some really good JUCO players or find a couple more great players like we have in the junior class now we will not be nearly as good in my opinion. The bad of having such a dominant class that comprise 5 players that have scored most all the points since their arrival is replacing them when the time comes. The good is that they have won 2 championships and had the number 1 freshman scoring class in the nation, #3 as sophomores and with all the injuries they are the number 1 scoring junior class, truly remarkable. I only hope Jones and company have some hidden gems that they are keeping behind closed doors.

A lot of good comments today - my turn on a couple of points:

I have often been critical of Jones but he and his team have certainly had a great year when all the adversity is considered. We obviously had some very disappointing losses but, with our lineup, we have won a bunch (especially on the road) that certainly weren't expected. You can't help thinking about "what if" but.... that doesn't do you any good.

Regarding recruiting, we really have to find a couple of good HS kids now. I highly doubt any talented JC transfer will consider us this spring - they want to play right away and with the large bunch of experienced seniors on the team next year, they probably wouldn't see much playing time. Hooker is such a stud that I hope his choosing UND will prompt some other talented kids to do the same.