SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

KVLY led off the news with the protest and Stephanie Goetz said it was because people wore t-shirts with the old UND logo.

Are news people that stupid? Oh wait..

No just very pro bizun. Seeing how far some activists have stretched this how long before the bison is targeted as an insensitive mascot?

Just another "check the box" requirement to keep a few bed wetters happy. Sort of like the "diversity" training found in corporate settings.

I think it will be a half-day course during which the students must watch the extended director's cut of "Dances with Wolves" and then participate in a brief but de-humanizing restroom session entitled "What if there were no T.P.?"

Scott was quoted that she was "embarrassed" to have graduated from UND.

Embarrassed?? Obviously she hasn't stepped foot on a res in awhile!

#marchwithyourheadinthesand

Scott was quoted that she was "embarrassed" to have graduated from UND.

Embarrassed?? Obviously she hasn't stepped foot on a res in awhile!

#marchwithyourheadinthesand

If they are embarrassed to go to UND or afraid to go, head down the road to NDSU. They have Indian Studies. http://www.ndsu.edu/diversity/american_indian_resources/

Of course be careful of the numerous students with the Sioux Suck t-shirts.

This is simply a logical extension of their anti-nickname whining. Their whining previously has paid dividends and now these perennial pouters are still not satisfied. They imagine that everything and anything that could possibly offend their own narcissistic, capricious emotional dyspepsia constitutes "racism" that must be stamped out; there must be "sensitivity training" and courses on "cultural awareness". The use of self-serving subjectivism and one's own whimsical racist caprice to absolutize that which is relative (i.e. how others feel or even the intentions of those who had the party) is racism and it is a much more insidious form of racism than whatever they think they're condemning. There is no room for dialogue or dialectics with these race fascists and how they feel is how it is. If you disagree with them, then you're part of the "problem" and they retreat to their normal and natural imbecilic "he's just another white guy who doesn't understand" meme. This sort of fallacious anti-racist pretense must be called out for what it is - racism. The true victims of this pathology would be the ones who'd have to undergo "cultural awareness" programs or "sensitivity training" to address a paranoia that would be simply projected upon them by these cry-babies who really are in need of some serious, in-depth psycho-therapy.

• Upvote 1

Why is it that the folks that preach "diversity" and "inclusion" come from organizations that have segregating and isolating names?

For example: American Indian Student Services.

Student services just for American Indians? That doesn't seem very diverse or inclusive.

Why is it that the folks that preach "diversity" and "inclusion" come from organizations that have segregating and isolating names?

Student services just for American Indians? That doesn't seem very diverse or inclusive.

I wonder about this too. Why does UND have a separate Indian Student Services? Doe every university have one of these? What other privileges do American Indians have at UND that other students don't?

I wonder about this too. Why does UND have a separate Indian Student Services? Doe every university have one of these? What other privileges do American Indians have at UND that other students don't?

They aren't held to the same passing grades as other students at the med school. My brother in-law told me this when he attended there. But their degree can be used off of the reservations. So would you want a doctor who passed his courses with a good grade or even a passing grade, or a doctor who failed but still got a degree because they were Native American.

Something that has been bothering me for quite a long time in regard to minorities and equality, etc, is TV programs like BT black television or Hispanic awards or black awards. What if there was a television channel called WT white television or white awards? OMG, it would be considered racist or worse. It would not be allowed! But why not? How can it be okay for minorities to have these things? Equality is equality!

They aren't held to the same passing grades as other students at the med school. My brother in-law told me this when he attended there. But their degree can be used off of the reservations. So would you want a doctor who passed his courses with a good grade or even a passing grade, or a doctor who failed but still got a degree because they were Native American.

When did he attend? I don't believe this was the case during my time there, and I have a hard time believing that the AAMC would allow this to happen.

That would involve hard and, possibly, dangerous actions and work on the part of the protesters.

C'mon Sioux-cia, hard work is hard. Dangerous work is dangerous. And action involves doing something of substance, and that's like hard work and real action, doncha know?

It's so much easier to hashtag, and blog, and stage walks* and then feel** like they've done something.

*Heck they can't even "march", they "walk"; George Carlin, RIP, would have a field day with that. I can almost hear him: "They're not really upset enough to march and scream in protest, so they go on a spring stroll to voice displeasure."

**It's about how they feel that they've done something; not that they've actually accomplished a meaningful action, task, or activity. But they've emoted and they'll blog about how much better they feel about themselves for having done it. But the hard work still is there for someone to do; someone, but not them. But they'll blog and hashtag that something should be done; heaven forbid they actually do it.

My new motto?

#_is_worthless

#_is_a_do_nothings_nothing

C'mon Sioux-cia, hard work is hard. Dangerous work is dangerous. And action involves doing something of substance, and that's like hard work and real action, doncha know?

It's so much easier to hashtag, and blog, and stage walks* and then feel** like they've done something.

*Heck they can't even "march", they "walk"; George Carlin, RIP, would have a field day with that. I can almost hear him: "They're not really upset enough to march and scream in protest, so they go on a spring stroll to voice displeasure."

**It's about how they feel that they've done something; not that they've actually accomplished a meaningful action, task, or activity. But they've emoted and they'll blog about how much better they feel about themselves for having done it. But the hard work still is there for someone to do; someone, but not them. But they'll blog and hashtag that something should be done; heaven forbid they actually do it.

My new motto?

#_is_worthless

#_is_a_do_nothings_nothing

Come on now...a few more Twitter followers to "Bring back our girls" and this group in Nigeria will no doubt crack under international pressure...

Something that has been bothering me for quite a long time in regard to minorities and equality, etc, is TV programs like BT black television or Hispanic awards or black awards. What if there was a television channel called WT white television or white awards? OMG, it would be considered racist or wsorse. It would not be allowed! But why not? How can it be okay for minorities to have these things? Equality is equality! lif

White television and awards have celebrated achievements of non-minorities for generations. It's only been in my lifetime that the achievements of all but a minuscule number of minorities have been been recognized. Hopefully, in my lifetime, it won't be necessary to continue to compartmentalize groups.

• Upvote 2

I just posted the following on the GF Herald's FB page.

I in no way support the t-shirts worn by non-university students and three UND students in a non-University sponsored event, on non-University owned property. I in no way support the demand that the University of North Dakota turn into a police state. In my opinion, the outrage to the use and abuse of Native American names and imagery is a smoke screen for real, ongoing Native American issues/problems. It's easier to cry racism and stereotyping than it is to go up against some dictatorial Tribal Councils that do little to address or stop alcohol/chemical abuse, the murder and abuse of children, school drop outs, teen age pregnancy, housing shortages, high suicide rates, unemployment, mental illness, etc. That would involve admitting internal issues are adversely affecting the Native American culture. That would involve hard and, possibly, dangerous actions and work on the part of the protesters. An admittedly disgusting t-shirt didn't create those problems. Vilifying a University that offers more educational opportunities than schools many times larger, isn't going to fix those problems. Carrying a placard denouncing stereotypes and racism isn't going to fix those problems. Taking action to improve the problems in your own back yard is what is going to uplift self esteem, improve health, eliminate early child demise, promote education, etc.

Nice job...very well written.

If Jeanotte and/or Scott get wind of this though there is a pretty good chance they'll track down your employer and demand you be fired for being insensitive, a bigot, a racist, ignorant and a list of other things................I know from personal experience.

White television and awards have celebrated achievements of non-minorities for generations. It's only been in my lifetime that the achievements of all but a minuscule number of minorities have been been recognized. Hopefully, in my lifetime, it won't be necessary to continue to compartmentalize groups.

Yes hopefully. I believe in an effort to create equality they've created racism.

I agree completely and have wondered the same thing. What they should do is have a Native American Student club, not a special Dept paid for by the state.

I know in the past, and I think it's still the same, certain programs hold a couple spots for Native Americans, even if they have lower grades to qualify, and could potentially take someone's spot who deserves the spot. If that's not racism, what is?

I know in the past, and I think it's still the same, certain programs hold a couple spots for Native Americans, even if they have lower grades to qualify, and could potentially take someone's spot who deserves the spot. If that's not racism, what is?

If they want to do that at the med school make sure they can only do medicine on reservations. If they want to do medicine off the reservations their grades better qualify like everyone else's.

Check this out...Bakke vs University of California from 1978...pretty.much the same story...