SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ CC - Friday

AZSIOUX

I hear ya. That second half push won't be there one of these seasons. A first half and second half push would be nice for once under Hak.

I do agree that it is not something you want to always have to count on the second half run because it will end at some point. I think I for the most part am disappointed in the play of our upper-class men ie. Juniors and Seniors. I don't want to start naming players individually but they have been listed by others. To have to rely on our Freshman and Sophomores to shoulder most of the scoring, all though great development for them, it is not a recipe for success short term IMO. I am sure the boys will right the ship and although last night was a loss it was a good step in their play.

Interesting stat. The last 4 times UND, has outshot it's opponent by 20 plus shots...it's lost. I don't claim to be a hockey expert, I do enjoy the game and go to nearly all home games, but that has got to be one of the most bizarre things I've heard. So much for the idea, that more opportunities in a sport will equal more scoring. Frustrating.

It seems to me that Hak's teams slow starts have some commonalities (actually many, but some are just general poor hockey play). We always have trouble with the break-out. It doesn't matter if we have many veterans returning or just a few, there seems to be no flow in our play for at least half a year. Poor to uneven special teams play (see the Notre Dame game - we had just scored and had a 5 on 3 advantage - a real chance to take over the game - how did that work for us) - also see the Notre Dame example for extremely poor penalties we sometimes take. And finally, a rash of horrible turnovers by guys who should know better . If this happens once or twice this could just be a team that needs to work the kinks out. But 8 years running? I really felt that with the fantastic effort we got from some of the young guys last year and with the amount of talent returning that this would be the year we didn't have this start. We need to feel a sense of urgency and get it together now.

what difference does it make to put up 46 SOG and outshoot your oppenent by 20+ if you can't frickin put the puck in the net? this team has some serious offensive problems. last night just emphasized that. never in my wildest dreams for this season did I ever think scoring would be a problem. this is all on the players as they are the one missing left and right and open nets for the last 7 weeks. I don't want to hear hot goalie as this guy has been lit up all year and suddenly against us plays "well". like I said it is all on these drafted players that can't frickin score.

what difference does it make to put up 46 SOG and outshoot your oppenent by 20+ if you can't frickin put the puck in the net? this team has some serious offensive problems. last night just emphasized that. never in my wildest dreams for this season did I ever think scoring would be a problem. this is all on the players as they are the one missing left and right and open nets for the last 7 weeks. I don't want to hear hot goalie as this guy has been lit up all year and suddenly against us plays "well". like I said it is all on these drafted players that can't frickin score.

It seems like the sioux always run into hot goals, is there something wrong with that or just coincidence lol. And I don't get how we get so many shots on net when we dont even shoot that much on the PP sometimes. And can they please stop doing the dump and chase so much!

Since the 3-0 win at SCSU this team had IMO 5 consecutive poor performances prior to last night. They played much much better overall last night but turnovers, breakdowns continue to plague and cost them. Then throw in Clark's worst game of the year and you get a "L" in probably your best played overall game to date. Tonight's a big one especially with DU coming to town next weekend. Don't think you want to be on a 3 game skid heading into that series!

Clark is the guy if this team is going to go anywhere in March. I would put him back in net tonight and let him try to redeem himself from last night's disappointing effort.

Completely agree with Clark getting back in the net tonight. I wouldn't wait a week to get him back in there. If he starts tonight I can see him playing very well.

Completely agree with Clark getting back in the net tonight. I wouldn't wait a week to get him back in there. If he starts tonight I can see him playing very well.

In the post game comments on the radio it sounded like the coach might come back with him tonight.

Three goals should win you most hockey games. However, last night also proved that giving up five will also lose you a lot of games. Our defensive zone coverage has been a problem all season long and it looks like it still is. Why we are even talking about "hot goalies" at this point is beyond me. ???

I get criticism for my signature on SS.com, but I think the "hot goalie" excuse is overused by our fan base and I simply won't jump on the bandwagon with everyone else. I don't hear other fan bases use that one nearly as much as ours does. The WCHA is one of the best leagues in college hockey year in and year out. The NCHC is looking like a solid league as well. Either we learn how to score on good goaltending or we had better get used to splitting every weekend....or worse. And that only seems to happen in the second half. One of these years, the second-half run won't happen and we'll find ourselves sitting at home in March after a .500 season. Tonight is the next most important game of the year.

• Upvote 1

Three goals should win you most hockey games. However, last night also proved that giving up five will also lose you a lot of games. Our defensive zone coverage has been a problem all season long and it looks like it still is. Why we are even talking about "hot goalies" at this point is beyond me. ???

I get criticism for my signature on SS.com, but I think the "hot goalie" excuse is overused by our fan base and I simply won't jump on the bandwagon with everyone else. I don't hear other fan bases use that one nearly as much as ours does. The WCHA is one of the best leagues in college hockey year in and year out. The NCHC is looking like a solid league as well. Either we learn how to score on good goaltending or we had better get used to splitting every weekend....or worse. And that only seems to happen in the second half. One of these years, the second-half run won't happen and we'll find ourselves sitting at home in March after a .500 season. Tonight is the next most important game of the year.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

like I said earlier this years team has a serious scoring disability, it cost us last night as we could finish and it will cost us down the road as well. the CC goalie is horrible and we make him look like a frickin all-american. we supposedly do have goal scorers but can't get the job done.