SiouxSports.com Forum

Changes for 2013 season

geaux_sioux

I'm adding a class or two to everyone on defense's spring class schedule:

Football 103: Introduction to the Concepts of Tackling. Here we explore the notions behind the defensive strategy of tackling. We'll define the notions of "wrapping up" and setting an angle. Using the sideline as a 12th defender will also be explored.

Football 205: Wrapping Up. Here the finer points of wrap-up tacking will be detailed. Students will be expected to be proficient in the technique by the end of the course. Attempts to "blow up" or just "throw a shoulder into" tackle when a wrap-up is not already underway will be grounds for course failure.

At this point, I'm not sure how many will advance to the 300-level courses like "Read and React" or "Man Coverage and You".

• Upvote 4

I'm adding a class or two to everyone on defense's spring class schedule:

Football 103: Introduction to the Concepts of Tackling. Here we explore the notions behind the defensive strategy of tackling. We'll define the notions of "wrapping up" and setting an angle. Using the sideline as a 12th defender will also be explored.

Football 205: Wrapping Up. Here the finer points of wrap-up tacking will be detailed. Students will be expected to be proficient in the technique by the end of the course. Attempts to "blow up" or just "throw a shoulder into" tackle when a wrap-up is not already underway will be grounds for course failure.

At this point, I'm not sure how many will advance to the 300-level courses like "Read and React" or "Man Coverage and You".

Can we add a class at the 300 level, or heck maybe even 400 level, "The Bump and How to Use it Effectively"

Learn to run the ball.

Learn to stop the run.

That leads to wins.

Simple yet accurate. Look at your school...it's a combo for success even with a marginally average QB.

But to your 3 points...the first 2 will require a change in coahing staff and philosophy. I believe UND has some talent on the roster to run the ball and stop the run. The play calling sucks and the D schemes suck. But also the blocking needs to improve as does the tackling.

To your last point, attendance will suffer as long as this program is mediocore and doesn't consistantly win games...IMO that won't change until the coaching staff changes.

At this level there is no reason we shouldn't have 90%+ of our players up here during the summer. I know that wasn't the case this last year. Our o-line and probably d-line need to do a lift in the morning and evening this offseason. What we have been doing isn't cutting it. They both need to get stronger. Our offensive and defensive skill guys need to spend time doing 7 on 7 passing drills this offseason. This will benefit Molberg and Bartels by getting some reps and our WR's are as talanted as they will see in the conference, that should only help our dbacks. A commitment to getting better in the offseason will go a long way. No excuses for anyone leaving Grand Forks.

Coaching needs to improve. Plain and simple.

We saw the best the conference has to offer. Now we need to recruit the kids that will help us be successful. There are a number of talented local kids in the area this year who will be contributors down the road. Lets start with them.

• Upvote 1

At this level there is no reason we shouldn't have 90%+ of our players up here during the summer. I know that wasn't the case this last year. Our o-line and probably d-line need to do a lift in the morning and evening this offseason. What we have been doing isn't cutting it. They both need to get stronger. Our offensive and defensive skill guys need to spend time doing 7 on 7 passing drills this offseason. This will benefit Molberg and Bartels by getting some reps and our WR's are as talanted as they will see in the conference, that should only help our dbacks. A commitment to getting better in the offseason will go a long way. No excuses for anyone leaving Grand Forks.

Coaching needs to improve. Plain and simple.

We saw the best the conference has to offer. Now we need to recruit the kids that will help us be successful. There are a number of talented local kids in the area this year who will be contributors down the road. Lets start with them.

Well thought out post Homer, you are spot on. At this level the players better be training together in the summer...no excuses!

What hasn't been discussed is Faison's role in this mess. If Muss is retained and nothing changes on the coaching staff and/or next year is more of the same from a results standpoint, Faison needs to beheld accountable as well.

• Upvote 1

What hasn't been discussed is Faison's role in this mess. If Muss is retained and nothing changes on the coaching staff and/or next year is more of the same from a results standpoint, Faison needs to beheld accountable as well.

Yeah, Faison left such a great legacy at New Mexico State, didn't he?

If not Mussman, the defensive staff needs to be changed or reshuffled a bit.

JUCO and FBS transfers for any spot on defense - this defense is BAD

Also, a JUCO/FBS transfer at both RB and QB (for depth)

In terms of recruiting, just get the best players available at all positions. Depth is key in the Big Sky conference.

The UND defense gave up about 37 points and 512 yards per game vs. FCS competition this year. Obviously it's very difficult to win many games giving up that many points. And while I'm sure some transfers will be brought in prior to next season, that's never really worked very well, at least not at UND. So ultimately the question is: is there enough talent in the program right now to assemble a competent defense next year?

The UND defense gave up about 37 points and 512 yards per game vs. FCS competition this year. Obviously it's very difficult to win many games giving up that many points. And while I'm sure some transfers will be brought in prior to next season, that's never really worked very well, at least not at UND. So ultimately the question is: is there enought talent in the program right now to assemble a competent defense next year?

The talent isn't as much a question as is the work ethic and attitude of the team. You can be damn sure that the coaches will be all over guys this winter like they should have been all along. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take a leap forward.

The talent isn't as much a question as is the work ethic and attitude of the team. You can be damn sure that the coaches will be all over guys this winter like they should have been all along. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take a leap forward.

NDSU seems to be doing well with some local players in key positions. I can't believe there is that big of a disparity in talent, but as you say how that talent is coached and their work ethic is a different story. Do the players NDSU recruits care more about their program than the recruits UND brings in. Do some of the players that come into our system think the program is lucky to have them, or the other way around. Did guys like Dan Hendrickson give more to the program than some who don't have a stake in the program's history? As far as coaches go, does UND have the elite coaches required to recruit and game plan with the best of them. I will only say that it is curious that some of NDSU's former coaches end up in big-time programs, while some of our former coaches end up at the Jamestown Colleges of the football world.

NDSU seems to be doing well with some local players in key positions. I can't believe there is that big of a disparity in talent, but as you say how that talent is coached and their work ethic is a different story. Do the players NDSU recruits care more about their program than the recruits UND brings in. Do some of the players that come into our system think the program is lucky to have them, or the other way around. Did guys like Dan Hendrickson give more to the program than some who don't have a stake in the program's history? As far as coaches go, does UND have the elite coaches required to recruit and game plan with the best of them. I will only say that it is curious that some of NDSU's former coaches end up in big-time programs, while some of our former coaches end up at the Jamestown Colleges of the football world.

This is an intriguing observation. My take is that performance on the field is number 1, but following close behind must be Bohl's connections at that level. Muss is younger and much less connected than Bohl. Side note: Bohl has stayed longer than I believed he would. If he doesn't leave after this year, I would start questioning whether or not being an FBS coach at a good program is a goal of his anymore. Since he's married again with a young stepson, his son is at MSUM, not too far from Lincoln, and can do no wrong in Fargo, I wonder if he's just happy to stay there. UND really has to step up its game.

The coaching tree of Murphy is amazing. He never went big time though. Ndsu has had some really good coaches and a lot of guys get bigger jobs. That happens with success.

And yes players need to buy into the program like previous classes. I feel like its a product of getting playing time too early because of lack of talent at und when they came in. Once the competition gets ramped up for playing time with added depth the program will seem more legit to the players and they will have to buy in the have any chance at playing.