SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Colorado

bincitysioux

One problem I have with the complaints from everyone about 'the bomb on 3rd and 1' is that you have jameer Jackson against a much smaller db in press coverage with no safety over the top. You take that shot 100% of the time. Now the fourth down was a different story, the personel on the field was ridiculous. Put Marcus in and do a read option with another option being a pass to a te. Runner jer up the middle was a head scratcher.

One problem I have with the complaints from everyone about 'the bomb on 3rd and 1' is that you have jameer Jackson against a much smaller db in press coverage with no safety over the top. You take that shot 100% of the time. Now the fourth down was a different story, the personel on the field was ridiculous. Put Marcus in and do a read option with another option being a pass to a te. Runner jer up the middle was a head scratcher.

I didn't see that on the webcast, so Hanson checked it at the line and went for it?

I disagree. At any other stage of the game you take the deep shot with a mismatch, but not in this scenario. It's a moot point though...you simply kick the game winning FG on 4th and 1 with a very capable kicker in "rare air".

umm NO; you only take that shot 100% of the time if youre Mussman. There are exceptions to throwing that pass with that coverage, like if you have the lead late in the game or if you're in field goal range. I understand it sometimes works and therfore I don't necessarily disagree with the call, it just shouldnt be called 100% of the time because it obviously doesnt work 100% of the time.

NO, you kick the frickin' field goal. Your kicker hit the same one last year! And quite a few others...

umm NO; you only take that shot 100% of the time if youre Mussman. There are exceptions to throwing that pass with that coverage, like if you have the lead late in the game or if you're in field goal range. I understand it sometimes works and therfore I don't necessarily disagree with the call, it just shouldnt be called 100% of the time because it obviously doesnt work 100% of the time.

I have no problem with the 3rd and 1 call by itself. Like geaux-sioux said, it's a matchup I'd always take advantage of. Here's what I think likely happened:

Muss calls a running play on 3rd and 1 thinking he's got 2 plays to get a first down and either score a touchdown on the drive or get a little closer and run the clock all the way down so UNC doesn't have any time left to drive and kick a go ahead field goal of their own. I don't have any problem with this thought process.

Braden likely has the option to audible to the deep pass if he sees the 1 on 1 matchup. Considering we were already within reasonable field goal range for Miller, I have no problem with Braden having this option or taking advantage of it.

The problem I have is with Muss not changing his strategy after the incomplete pass. You either have to take the option away from Braden on 3rd down if you're dead set on getting another 1st down or change your strategy and kick the field goal after the pass falls incomplete. I absolutely cannot fathom why Muss decides to go for it on 4th down. I really hope someone in the media can get him to try to defend that decision.

strongly disagree. You don't go for it 100% of the time at that point in the game. The % of success is too low. Your qb should be instructed of that before he takes the field before the first game of the year.

strongly disagree. You don't go for it 100% of the time at that point in the game. The % of success is too low. Your qb should be instructed of that before he takes the field before the first game of the year.

Really? And where do you think that safety is? In the box. So, yea, lets run it when the defense is in a run heavy set with a safety blitz on tap. And you're right every coach tells the qb before the first game of the year not to take advantage of mismatches. Just forget I mentioned that, you clearly know that the chance of your kicker making a 51 yard FG for the win is wayyyyyyy higher than completing a pass to a WR who has 5 inches on a DB who is on an island.

Perspectives:

1. We're arguing about the outcome of a game between two mediocre teams... What did you expect?

2. Fire Muss? Wasn't he just given a contract extension last year? He's the same coach he's always been.

3. Hockey season is here and we're a hockey school first. Go cheer on Hak and the boys!

Such a low life poster: bizon masquerading as a UND fan. Looked at your history and its all the same bull !@#$ posts. You a**holes will never move on.

• Upvote 4

Perspectives:

1. We're arguing about the outcome of a game between two mediocre teams... What did you expect?

2. Fire Muss? Wasn't he just given a contract extension last year? He's the same coach he's always been.

3. Hockey season is here and we're a hockey school first. Go cheer on Hak and the boys!

Your third reason is why I choose to ignore just about everything you say.

Are we sure they knew it was fourth down when they called the run up the middle?

Should have given us a fifth down. It is, after all, a Colorado tradition. OK, yeah, that's the Buffs and the Mizzou game a good generation ago, but what the heck. Seasons over. Time for recruiting, weight training, and cheering against the Bison.

You take that shot 100% of the time with 10 minutes left.

Something just came to mind... With about 2:18 left in the 4th quarter, Jackson caught a pass on the left sideline and ran out of bounds. The radio (AmericaONE) announcers said the clock did not stop! The next play started with less than 2 minutes left in the game. Did that really happen? How is it that UND's coaches didn't catch it? Whose responsibility is it to make sure homer time clock operators are honest? Would the extra 25 seconds make a difference?

Really? And where do you think that safety is? In the box. So, yea, lets run it when the defense is in a run heavy set with a safety blitz on tap. And you're right every coach tells the qb before the first game of the year not to take advantage of mismatches. Just forget I mentioned that, you clearly know that the chance of your kicker making a 51 yard FG for the win is wayyyyyyy higher than completing a pass to a WR who has 5 inches on a DB who is on an island.

Are those the only two options you have on 3rd down? A dive into the middle or a fly pattern down the sideline? How about a safe throw that gets you the first down and has a higher percentage of success. If the dive would have been so dumb on 3rd down, why was it so smart on 4th down in your opinion?

I also believe that the numbers would tell you that Millers success rate on field goals of that length are higher than % completions on the pass we threw. I kicked in Greeley and you get an extra 10 yards or so due to the altitude. You don't have to hit it as hard so it is a much easier kick than a normal 50 yarder. I think he has done that a few times in the last 2 years.

A year after Miller beat NC on a 54 yard FG at NC, Muss opts not to kick the potential 51 yard game winner..."Quite fankly, I thought we were out of our kicking range." :huh::ohmy::crazy:

Radio sideline reporter stated prior to NOT kicking a potential game winning FG, Zeb was nailing it from 59 yards out in pre-game.

Don't know how else to say it...Muss is so absolutely clueless it is embarrassing!

• Upvote 3

A disappointing losing season is one thing, but when you have a leader/coach that will NEVER allow this team to accomplish a lot, it really is depressing and difficult to get excited for another season.

Faison should realize the football team is not gaining recognition or support, its losing it. He needs to make a change before this team is dug into too deep of a hole.