SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Colorado

bincitysioux

Northern Colorado is playing well...but...

I was looking at their schedule. They were fortunate enough to play the bottom teams in the Big Sky. North Dakota, not so much. Northern Colorado will be the lowest team in the conference standings that they get to meet in a conference game. Portland State was a non conference game.

North Dakota did not get to play Idaho State, Weber State or Portland State (in a conference game..) So, IMHO, Northern Colorado's conference record is deceptive. Not to say that UND will roll over the Bears. Also, you have to play who you have to play, so maybe that isn't as big of a factor as I make it out to be.

This is all true, and North Dakota's schedule has obviously been mutiple times more difficult than UNC's. However, we also just barely slipped past 3 mid-tier Big Sky teams in our own building in PSU, UM, and SUU.

I'm hoping that the team that flew down to Sacramento is the one that boards the plane for Greeley.

I was just comparing stats between the two teams, in Big Sky play only:

Scoring Offense

#9 UNC

#11 North Dakota

Scoring Defense

#9 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Total Offense

#11 North Dakota

#12 UNC

Total Defense

#11 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Rushing Offense

#10 North Dakota

#11 UNC

Rushing Defense

#11 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Pass Offense

#3 UNC

#5 North Dakota

Pass Defense

#9 UNC

#10 Northern Colorado

Unfortunately, this appears to be shaping up as a classic battle of ineptitude. Given the offensive fireworks that I've seen North Dakota light off throughout the season, I'm shocked that we are 11th in the conference in scoring offense and total offense.

I expect this game to be close from start to finish. We (along with everybody who follows FCS football) like to rag on Northern Colorado's shortcomings. But in reality we're in the same place. 3 of their 4 conference losses are to 1st place Big Sky teams. All 4 of our conference losses are to 1st place Big Sky teams.

This season has obviously been a disappointment. But as far as I'm concerned there is still alot to play for. A winning season and .500 record in our first season of the Big Sky is at stake, and while those numbers wouldn't meet my pre-season expectations, I could hardly call that a total failure either.

• Upvote 4

Scoring Offense

#9 UNC

#11 North Dakota

Scoring Defense

#9 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Total Offense

#11 North Dakota

#12 UNC

Total Defense

#11 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Rushing Offense

#10 North Dakota

#11 UNC

Rushing Defense

#11 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Pass Offense

#3 UNC

#5 North Dakota

Pass Defense

#9 UNC

#10 Northern Colorado

Unfortunately, this appears to be shaping up as a classic battle of ineptitude. Given the offensive fireworks that I've seen North Dakota light off throughout the season, I'm shocked that we are 11th in the conference in scoring offense and total offense.

I expect this game to be close from start to finish. We (along with everybody who follows FCS football) like to rag on Northern Colorado's shortcomings. But in reality we're in the same place. 3 of their 4 conference losses are to 1st place Big Sky teams. All 4 of our conference losses are to 1st place Big Sky teams.

This season has obviously been a disappointment. But as far as I'm concerned there is still alot to play for. A winning season and .500 record in our first season of the Big Sky is at stake, and while those numbers wouldn't meet my pre-season expectations, I could hardly call that a total failure either.

Nice analysis. At least the program knows exactly in what areas there must be improvement. No need to guess.

Scoring Offense

#9 UNC

#11 North Dakota

Scoring Defense

#9 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Total Offense

#11 North Dakota

#12 UNC

Total Defense

#11 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Rushing Offense

#10 North Dakota

#11 UNC

Rushing Defense

#11 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Pass Offense

#3 UNC

#5 North Dakota

Pass Defense

#9 UNC

#10 Northern Colorado

Being near the top in the offensive stats is not nearly as important as being the top defense. Hopefully they can improve like SDSU did from last year. Defense always travels well in any weather, the same can't be said about offense.

I'm hoping this late buy week has a positive impact on this game. I think we needed it. However, I don't know if we will get any of our injured starters back even with the buy week. Hoping the guys finish th season on a high note.

Personally, I'm recommending a sell rather than buy for this week. :lol: Hint: the word you want is "bye"

Scoring Offense

#9 UNC

#11 North Dakota

Scoring Defense

#9 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Total Offense

#11 North Dakota

#12 UNC

Total Defense

#11 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Rushing Offense

#10 North Dakota

#11 UNC

Rushing Defense

#11 UNC

#12 North Dakota

Pass Offense

#3 UNC

#5 North Dakota

Pass Defense

#9 UNC

#10 Northern Colorado

Not meaning to be adversarial - our first year out of transition, which made recruiting a little challenging, pre-season projections had us around 5-6th or lower in Big Sky. Very tough losses to Big Sky power houses (playoffs will tell). Of course I hate losing by 30+ points but what were your expectations for this season that makes you say it was a disappointment?

Not meaning to be adversarial - our first year out of transition, which made recruiting a little challenging, pre-season projections had us around 5-6th or lower in Big Sky. Very tough losses to Big Sky power houses (playoffs will tell). Of course I hate losing by 30+ points but what were your expectations for this season that makes you say it was a disappointment?

Perhaps the expectations were to win. The team was plenty good enough to make the playoffs this year, they failed. Execution of small things at critical times in important winnable games was unacceptable. Finishing 6-5 if we win this week will be ok, 3 of our losses were given to the opponent which makes 6-5 seem not so good. Expectations need to be sky high every year, if they aren't, don't expect the team to attain any great success. There's a reason NDSU is successful.

Perhaps the expectations were to win. The team was plenty good enough to make the playoffs this year, they failed. Execution of small things at critical times in important winnable games was unacceptable. Finishing 6-5 if we win this week will be ok, 3 of our losses were given to the opponent which makes 6-5 seem not so good. Expectations need to be sky high every year, if they aren't, don't expect the team to attain any great success. There's a reason NDSU is successful.

Based on what I saw I disagree that this team was good enough to make the playoffs this year.

Based on last year's defense and the huge upgrade made at the QB position, my expectation heading into the season was that the Sioux would at worst win 7 games and be on the bubble for a playoff spot. The eternal optimist in me actually felt an 8 win season was attainable. I also did not expect the team to suffer two of its most lopsided losses in program history this season.

Like I said, if they finish 6-5 overall with our only losses to 4 playoff teams and an FBS team, I'd consider that a very respectable showing in the first year of Big Sky play. 5-6 would obviously not be disastrous, but I expect more than that from this program regardless of any circumstances surrounding injury, transition, recruiting, nicknames, etc. A loss to Northern Colorado would really sting and set things up for an off-season of major negativity on this board.

• Upvote 2

Based on last year's defense and the huge upgrade made at the QB position, my expectation heading into the season was that the Sioux would at worst win 7 games and be on the bubble for a playoff spot. The eternal optimist in me actually felt an 8 win season was attainable. I also did not expect the team to suffer two of its most lopsided losses in program history this season.

Like I said, if they finish 6-5 overall with our only losses to 4 playoff teams and an FBS team, I'd consider that a very respectable showing in the first year of Big Sky play. 5-6 would obviously not be disastrous, but I expect more than that from this program regardless of any circumstances surrounding injury, transition, recruiting, nicknames, etc. A loss to Northern Colorado would really sting and set things up for an off-season of major negativity on this board.

I agree. I would also dare say that had you told anybody prior to the season that UND's offense would score 33 or more points vs. six of nine division I opponents thus far (even with a fairly minimal contribution from the running game), most would have thought that would mean no worse than a 7-3 record heading into the UNC game, and quite possibly better.

I agree. I would also dare say that had you told anybody prior to the season that UND's offense would score 33 or more points vs. six of nine division I opponents thus far (even with a fairly minimal contribution from the running game), most would have thought that would mean no worse than a 7-3 record heading into the UNC game, and quite possibly better.

Which makes this years sieve they call a defense all the more disappointing.

I'm expecting a win this weekend, by about 14.

No road win is easy. Especially on the road. Boys will have to play tough today. Get some pressure and the offense can't turn it over. UNC will have revenge on their minds from last year. Will be a tough win, but I think we get it done today.

UND-34

UNC-28