SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Officiating

Fedorov

If i was Adam, i would bring D Shepard and Nathan Freeman along to the NCHC and make Freeman a referee ......the WCHA is wasting his time as a linesmen.

Nathan really can't he full time job has gotten harder. His school in Minot is up 300 students from end of spring last year to enrollment this year. They aren't as lenient in giving him Fridays off anymore during hockey. He my even have to hang up the skates which is sad he's a great guy and loves all aspects of the game.

That was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen! Tempers were high apparently last night, we sat in Englestads suite and some guy freaked out because people were standing in front of him! They were standing at a sporting event, that's awful! The guy was such a tool his own daughter got up and left him! That's the second time I've seen that happen there, and I think it is pathetic!

I have noticed that WCHA officiating has been miserable for the past few years, alot of them try to even things up alot. I saw some of that on Friday night with the UND-BU game, and saturday night with the Minn-Mankato game, which had little things being called early in the game, and late in the game when there are some obvious penalties, nothing called, they seem to not want to be a part of the outcome, which they actually are by not calling it by the book.

• 3 weeks later...

I caught that remark and had to chuckle.

There will always be bad calls. That is human nature. It is suspect when you see them stack up against certain teams by certain refs time after time after time, for years on end. That is no longer: "Oh well, that's hockey". It is something else, and it smells bad.

It would be nice to get some fresh refs for the NCHC, but where do you find them? It could end up being a case of "careful what you wish for".

Did anyone else notice the comment from the web cast announcers in the Notre Dame game Friday night? "To the fans from North Dakota watching, I don't know how your officiating has gone in the WCHA, but ours has been very questionable"

Must be a trend in NCAA hockey.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Given, hockey is an extremely tough sport to officiate......I wouldn't want to do it.......Glad there are guys that want to do it.

Hockey is much the same as a lot of other sports when it comes to officiating.....grey area......And with the different leagues comes different approaches with what is and isn't allowed. No, I couldn't do a better job than these guys, but where the problems arise is with the consistency.

I'll use Nate Schmidt as an example. Great physical defenseman that isn't cheap/dirty/whatever. Does he get a five and tossed for that hit? Seems like certain individuals are singled out. Seems like the type of penalty you're getting depends on the name on the back of your jersey.

That call on MacWilliam last night was brutal

I was watching the game with a person who had a family member in the press box with Pappa Greg Shepherd; even he was furious and was saying that calls like that should result in referee suspensions. Whether or not it results in Hunt's suspension we shall see. I also heard the kid from Tech has a broken clavicle. I hope he can heal and be ready for hockey next fall.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to Don Adam at the Final Five and he told me he will be taking about 4 guys from the WCHA to the new league and the rest will all be new to college hockey. I think that's a positive sign. He also said, "You guys will love it, I won't be on the ice anymore." :)