SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs Manitoba - gameday

AZSIOUX

Sounds like this may be exclusive to Fox College Sports because I noticed the Midcontinent station seemed better than in the past.

This is starting to make some sense.

I really liked a lot of the new production values. The overall quality seems improved and more professional. It was just disappointing to have to view it on such a low quality of video, especially for 2012. It sounds like it may be an FCS problem and not a MidcoSports/UND thing like you said tnt.

Hammer and Koberinski sure had their struggles, but as the game went on I think they improved in general. They have to shake off the rust like the team does, and I expect them to grow into their roles as they get more familiar with the new team and their new jobs.

All-in-all I see improvements.

I didn't notice any color issues, but it was hard to tell with the very poor resolution. It was literally like an average webcam, and I say average because I've seen some pretty high-quality webcams that are costing less than what it costs to get FCS on DirecTV.

The only time in the past that I had a problem reading the numbers on the uniforms was on a webcast. I had trouble reading them saturday on FCS. Overall production was a plus, video quality sucked.

Sounds like this may be exclusive to Fox College Sports because I noticed the Midcontinent station seemed better than in the past.

It is possible that Midco is using a different method or different satellite to transfer the signal to Fox College Sports and losing something in that transfer. That would explain why Fox viewers might have had a different experience than Midco viewers. If Fox has made any other transmission changes, that might also explain things.

I'd like to also say that I've have been watching all the past Hockey games on Fox College Sports, and Saturdays game had a poorer quality picture. I could not figure out who the players were due to the inability to read the numbers on the shirts. My TV's HD picture is extremly crisp so that's not the issue (yes, I know this isn't broadcast in HD).

So who ever came up with the connection to FCS for the poor quality may have it right

I'd like to also say that I've have been watching all the past Hockey games on Fox College Sports, and Saturdays game had a poorer quality picture. I could not figure out who the players were due to the inability to read the numbers on the shirts. My TV's HD picture is extremly crisp so that's not the issue (yes, I know this isn't broadcast in HD).

So who ever came up with the connection to FCS for the poor quality may have it right

I'd second that - watched plenty of hockey games on FCS on my HDTV in the past, and had never seen picture quality that bad. Audio sync was off at times during the pregame and intermissions as well.

All I'm relaying is what I just watched with my own eyes. And what I watched was marginally better (lighter). Now, everyone is watching on different screens with different settings, so that certainly could account for different viewing experiences. We've heard from people saying it was too dark, and we've also heard from viewers saying there was no difference.

What I also mentioned on Twitter is that we are evaluating ALL feedback we are receiving, and that includes the placement of the scoreboard graphic. We literally have a list of items we are evaluating. We are in regular contact with the folks at Midco Sports Network and we'll be sure to address all concerns going forward. Please keep the feedback coming.

Jayson - I do have a quick question with the webcast. I was watching via the athletics website and it would go gray during commercials. One, is it supposed to do that? Two, it is not a big deal that it does it....but it was a little delayed coming back every once in awhile. I could hear Hammer and Kober talking about the game play by play before I could see it.

Jayson,

Is the camera(s) positioned in a different spot this year? They seem to be farther away from the rink.

The primary camera is actually located in the same spot (upper press box, center ice), with the same camera operator, as in recent years. I didn't actually notice if any of the other locations had changed, but I don't believe they have.

Jayson - I do have a quick question with the webcast. I was watching via the athletics website and it would go gray during commercials. One, is it supposed to do that? Two, it is not a big deal that it does it....but it was a little delayed coming back every once in awhile. I could hear Hammer and Kober talking about the game play by play before I could see it.

I'll look into this.

This is starting to make some sense.

I really liked a lot of the new production values. The overall quality seems improved and more professional. It was just disappointing to have to view it on such a low quality of video, especially for 2012. It sounds like it may be an FCS problem and not a MidcoSports/UND thing like you said tnt.

Hammer and Koberinski sure had their struggles, but as the game went on I think they improved in general. They have to shake off the rust like the team does, and I expect them to grow into their roles as they get more familiar with the new team and their new jobs.

All-in-all I see improvements.

Your point on the announce team is important. This was their first time working together on a broadcast -- and this is not something Scott Koberinski has done for a living, either. I don't believe there has ever been an announce team that had perfect chemistry right from game one. That takes time, and they'll get there. Virtually the entire UND fan base (myself included) enjoyed Jim Scanlan's work, and rightfully so. But I bet if we watched video of his first games, they'd be a far cry from the Jim Scanlan of 2011-12.

I hope that's accurate, because what I saw leaving the ice said "four to six weeks" to me.

I'll go on record now and predict he won't play against the USA U-18s.

When you see his skate get stuck in the ice you just hope there wasn't any ligament damage. No reason to hustle back. March is a helluva lot more important than October.

Your point on the announce team is important. This was their first time working together on a broadcast -- and this is not something Scott Koberinski has done for a living, either. I don't believe there has ever been an announce team that had perfect chemistry right from game one. That takes time, and they'll get there. Virtually the entire UND fan base (myself included) enjoyed Jim Scanlan's work, and rightfully so. But I bet if we watched video of his first games, they'd be a far cry from the Jim Scanlan of 2011-12.

Yeah....I think give the whole thing a little time and see what happens. Of course, I'm on MIDCO, so my picture and sound were fine (in comparison to last year). I have always been a Sweeney fan, but I think after a few games Dan will be fine as well.

Yeah....I think give the whole thing a little time and see what happens. Of course, I'm on MIDCO, so my picture and sound were fine (in comparison to last year). I have always been a Sweeney fan, but I think after a few games Dan will be fine as well.

(But, I can't wait for HD!)

I agree with this too! Where can we start bitching about this, so that they can fix this issue? I prefer the interlocking ND logo to be used!!!

Who agrees with me? :)

Consider this an experimental year. We'll certainly be open to switching to the interlocking ND next season. Hey, at least the casual TV viewer will always know where the game is being played :)