SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 attendance

darell1976

there is no reason UND shouldn't get 12K for a FB game.

Really? Why can't Eastern Washington, cal poly, northern az, or any team in the conference not named Montana or Montana state. Unless you didnt mean average and just one game. In that case give our new conference time to build rivalries and be playoff eligible after halfway through the season.

Some people wont go to the next home game cause they aren't playing for anything.

Personally, I think the loss to Sioux Falls gets WAAAYYYYYY over-played as far as it being reason for lack of attendance, lack of interest, apathy, etc.................

Do most of us rubes that post here acknowledge how embarassing that game was? YES!

Do even half of the people in the stands that day know who, what, or where, Sioux Falls even was? Probably not...........

My opinion is that from about 1993 to 2007, Grand Forks sports fans got conditioned to expecting lop-sided wins when they came out to see a football game, and got conditioned to reading in the GF Herald how UND was one of the best in DII, highly ranked, and expected to do damage in the playoffs. Well, haven't had any of that for about 5 years now.

Case in point about the quality of opponents during transition: I'll never forget how at the home opener in 2008 against Texas A&M-Kingsville, the guy sitting behind me bragging up the Sioux to the rest of his buddies about how great the move to DI was because we just throttling "Texas A&M", should have made the move years ago......................

I just don't think that the average ticket-buyer in Grand Forks really knows what the hell is going on. When does the Ralph or the Alerus get the loudest? Answer: Whenever the PA announcer reveals that Minnesota is losing in hockey, or Fargo is losing in football.

Seriously, biggest roar from the crowd during the Northern Arizona game came when they announced Fargo had lost. Funny, that night was the only game I've been at so far this year where they gave ANY score updates from FU games................IMO that's no better than FU fans continuing the "Sioux Suck" chants at their football games 8 or 9 years after they last played...................

• Upvote 1

I remember the second naia game in 2009 against southern oregon was the first game i remember thinking to myself about the terrible attendance. attendance: 7,250

espn has some stats, attendance against stony brook that year was 8500. the week before against south dakota? 12,400. sioux falls was 7,800.

for 2008

tam-k 11,434

scsu 9,143

w-lc 10,256

w.wash 12,164

suu 7,840

no data for pre-d1 days though

So there has been a lot of talk about improving the in game experience at the Alerus and I think I have a good idea. This may have been mentioned before but what about a horn like at the Ralph? After a TD or field goal let that thing blast! Not many football programs do that after a score, and since we are indoors it could be pretty awesome and intimidating.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think the loss to Sioux Falls gets WAAAYYYYYY over-played as far as it being reason for lack of attendance, lack of interest, apathy, etc.................

Do most of us rubes that post here acknowledge how embarassing that game was? YES!

Do even half of the people in the stands that day know who, what, or where, Sioux Falls even was? Probably not...........

My opinion is that from about 1993 to 2007, Grand Forks sports fans got conditioned to expecting lop-sided wins when they came out to see a football game, and got conditioned to reading in the GF Herald how UND was one of the best in DII, highly ranked, and expected to do damage in the playoffs. Well, haven't had any of that for about 5 years now.

Case in point about the quality of opponents during transition: I'll never forget how at the home opener in 2008 against Texas A&M-Kingsville, the guy sitting behind me bragging up the Sioux to the rest of his buddies about how great the move to DI was because we just throttling "Texas A&M", should have made the move years ago......................

I just don't think that the average ticket-buyer in Grand Forks really knows what the hell is going on. When does the Ralph or the Alerus get the loudest? Answer: Whenever the PA announcer reveals that Minnesota is losing in hockey, or Fargo is losing in football.

Seriously, biggest roar from the crowd during the Northern Arizona game came when they announced Fargo had lost. Funny, that night was the only game I've been at so far this year where they gave ANY score updates from FU games................IMO that's no better than FU fans continuing the "Sioux Suck" chants at their football games 8 or 9 years after they last played...................

There is that sign along I-29 that says Sioux Falls something like 287 miles. People see that while driving to Fargo, MSP, Phoenix (snowbirds), etc...

That game had tremendous atmosphere and very good attendance for a DII opponent. I said it then, and stand by it today: a percentage of the fans who showed up that day thought we were playing THE Texas A&M. Your comment backs my theory up!

Have you guys ever thought about getting together and forming a little group and coming up with a list of ways to get more people in the stands and presenting it to UND? You guys seem to care and are thinking of ways to get people in the stands it seems more than UND even is.

Yes, its been talked about extensively.....

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/17471-student-attendance-thoughts-and-how-to-fix-it/

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/17498-alerus-design-affecting-attendence/

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/17339-ideas-to-fill-the-alerus/

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/17304-und-students-at-football-games/

• Upvote 1

Thanks. What I am saying is to form a group outside of this board. Get together and discuss and then present. I think they really could use your ideas since their's are not working.

Thanks. What I am saying is to form a group outside of this board. Get together and discuss and then present. I think they really could use your ideas since their's are not working.

Great idea. But you could come up with 100 great ideas, but its up to the Alerus Center and UND to implement them. So unless they are involved, it would seem rather pointless.

Must be nice to have really high reading comprehension and realize that they were the #1 team in the country coming off of a win against a big ten team. Or understanding that them getting a crowd of 16000 is the same as having 10200 at the Alerus.

7-0 team playing against a 0-7 team.

Besides the NC, the conference rivalries have really helped the Bison at the Dome. Each week there is a different angle. Once UND gets 3+ seasons in the BSC and a few games/storylines have been established I think attendance will be more stable. It is fricken nerve racking as a season ticketholder, but there isn't a conference game that I walk into the Fdome knowing 100% the Bison will win. That's what keeps me coming back....it takes a special class, season to win the BSC but you never know.

that thread is pre NC (2007). The Bison were also in transition.

UND can look forward to improvements like NDSU has seen with a couple more pieces:

a good conference (done),

a winning team in a good conference (done after this weekend),

a conference championship (in the not-so-distant future) and

a national title run (on the horizon)

• Upvote 2