SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 attendance

darell1976

This pic was sent to me of the West stands. This was in the fourth quarter when the game was tied!! If there were students that trickled in after the game started...they definitely abandoned ship before the game was over. Its not like this game was a blowout for wither team. This was a tie game in the 4th quarter with Montana!! And its not like the game wasn't entertaining!! Hanson had what 400+ yds passing in the first half?!!!

I realize that student sections around the country have been down at some schools....but that is no excuse. Its not like the UND students have never supported this team and program. The Alerus used to be deafening back in the day. A game like this in 2004 would have been ridiculous!!!

Just unfortunate that one of the most entertaining games in UND football history and that ended with an exciting game winning touchdown with 12 seconds left was sadly only witnessed live by about 8000 fans.

zojeo1.jpg

This pic was sent to me of the West stands. This was in the fourth quarter when the game was tied!! If there were students that trickled in after the game started...they definitely abandoned ship before the game was over. Its not like this game was a blowout for wither team. This was a tie game in the 4th quarter with Montana!! And its not like the game wasn't entertaining!! Hanson had what 400+ yds passing in the first half?!!!

I realize that student sections around the country have been down at some schools....but that is no excuse. Its not like the UND students have never supported this team and program. The Alerus used to be deafening back in the day. A game like this in 2004 would have been ridiculous!!!

Just unfortunate that one of the most entertaining games in UND football history and that ended with an exciting game winning touchdown with 12 seconds left was sadly only witnessed live by about 8000 fans.

zojeo1.jpg

I get what you are saying, I am agreeing with you that it was disappoint on the students end that we didn't show up. I just wanted to point out that it hasn't been like this all year with students showing up.

Now the leaving part, I don't really understand why. After the game, the team went down to give hi 5's to the students who stayed, EVERYONE of them said to my face "thanks for coming, we really appreciate this". Not to be the downer but if you think this was bad, wait til SUU. Unless the athletic department makes the football game priority tickets for the hockey game against BU later in the night (which I am assuming they will be doing).

PS: You think this was bad. Haloween 2009 when we beat #16 Poly 31-17 and had 6400 people show up and 300 students, not including the band. It can be better, but it could we way worse and lets not talk about the USD game from last year either....

I get what you are saying, I am agreeing with you that it was disappoint on the students end that we didn't show up. I just wanted to point out that it hasn't been like this all year with students showing up.

Now the leaving part, I don't really understand why. After the game, the team went down to give hi 5's to the students who stayed, EVERYONE of them said to my face "thanks for coming, we really appreciate this". Not to be the downer but if you think this was bad, wait til SUU. Unless the athletic department makes the football game priority tickets for the hockey game against BU later in the night (which I am assuming they will be doing).

PS: You think this was bad. Haloween 2009 when we beat #16 Poly 31-17 and had 6400 people show up and 300 students, not including the band. It can be better, but it could we way worse and lets not talk about the USD game from last year either....

I was at that game...I was frustrated with the turnout to say the least...

Kind of sad that the athletic department would have to go to these type of tactics to get students to a football game! But if if that is what needs to be to done to get students to the game...might as well do it!!

Kind of sad that the athletic department would have to go to these type of tactics to get students to a football game! But if if that is what needs to be to done to get students to the game...might as well do it!!

This isn't a new thing, this is something that has been done since the middle of the 2010-2011 hockey season. Usually its for a women's hockey game or a volleyball game, or the basketball games. This has never been tried for a football game. I am assuming at this point that this is the game they are choosing.

Right now, UND students' attitude toward football is ridiculous. They would rather think about hockey than be in attendance and watch a UND football game. This whole UND hockey first thing killed student attendance during the transition and its leaked into our first playoff-eligible season. It wasn't bad in the D2 days but when the transition hit everyone at UND became a "hockey-only" fan and it just plains suck.

The only way it will possibly improve is if the team starts winning and over time new students with a respect and understanding of UND football replace the current loser students.

My wife and I drove up from Bowman for the game and it was her first UND football experience. She really enjoyed herself, but I thought that the turnout, the student section in particular, was very saddening. If Montana had a false start penalty on Saturday afternoon, I don't remember it, but I do remember the Montana section getting loud on 3rd down and getting us for a false start penalty...I about blew a gasket at that point. What do ya do I guess!

Right now, UND students' attitude toward football is ridiculous. They would rather think about hockey than be in attendance and watch a UND football game. This whole UND hockey first thing killed student attendance during the transition and its leaked into our first playoff-eligible season. It wasn't bad in the D2 days but when the transition hit everyone at UND became a "hockey-only" fan and it just plains suck.

The only way it will possibly improve is if the team starts winning and over time new students with a respect and understanding of UND football replace the current loser students.

Exactly. I think that by the time this year's freshmen are seniors, student attendance will be up in all sports. Can you really blame fans for being "hockey only" during the transition? The reason that USD has fared better with football, is because they didn't have a marquee sport that wasn't in the transition (like hockey). Hockey has always been, and always will be, very important to UND. And the fact that Ralph Englestad made it possible to nearly double the attendance at every home hockey game didn't help with attendance for other events (including stuff at Chester Fritz). There's so many seats in this town, and just not a big enough market to fill them all, is basically what it boils down to.

I think it's safe to say that regardless of whether or not they're at their usual level, Montana was the biggest name opponent UND has had at home in a long time. UND's football stats only go back to 2006 on undsports.com, but all of these opponents (2006-2011) listed below drew more than the Montana game did on Saturday. This kind of puts into perspective, at least for me, how much the transition has killed attendance, because the majority of these came either immediately before the start of the transition, or in the first year of it.

Winona St.

MSU-Mankato

Humboldt St.

Central Washington

Augustana

Nebraska-Omaha

St. Cloud St.

Texas A & M-Kingsville

Wisconsin-LaCrosse

Western Washington

South Dakota

Northeastern St.

Southern Utah

Cal Poly

• Upvote 1

First game of the season always draw well. Plus back in the day the casual fan knew Omaha st cloud. Most people at the alerus on Saturday don't know much about montana and their history. I had no ideal Iaa existed back when I was a student. Most fans at the alerus aren't on this site. Probably over half are over forty. Our fanbase isnt getting younger sadly.

First game of the season always draw well. Plus back in the day the casual fan knew Omaha st cloud. Most people at the alerus on Saturday don't know much about montana and their history. I had no ideal Iaa existed back when I was a student. Most fans at the alerus aren't on this site. Probably over half are over forty. Our fanbase isnt getting younger sadly.

Not as well as they used to.

It's actually very easy to see where things all changed. UND had its best attendance year ever in terms of per-game average in 2008--the first year of the transition and despite a terrible home schedule. In 2009, even with no home games until early October, through two games UND was averaging about 10,300. Then the Sioux Falls game happened. And we are still dealing with the after-effects.

• Upvote 1

It's actually very easy to see where things all changed. UND had its best attendance year ever in terms of per-game average in 2008--the first year of the transition and despite a terrible home schedule. In 2009, even with no home games until early October, through two games UND was averaging about 10,300. Then the Sioux Falls game happened. And we are still dealing with the after-effects.

I'm not sure I've seen a loss impact a program more than that one.

I'm not sure I've seen a loss impact a program more than that one.

Agreed. Here's proof of just the financial impact:

In the 17 regular season home games prior to the 2009 Sioux Falls game, UND averaged 10,212 per game.

In the 18 home games since that game, UND has averaged 8,244 per game.

• Upvote 2

Agreed. Here's proof of just the financial impact:

In the 17 regular season home games prior to the 2009 Sioux Falls game, UND averaged 10,212 per game.

In the 18 home games since that game, UND has averaged 8,244 per game.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

This I 1000% agree with right there. This is an attitude that needs to change. Too many hockey "purists" on campus. Honestly, that is the only way that is going to fix the problem. The quick fix is that next year we win 9 or 10 games, make a playoff run, and then the problem is solved quicker.

There was 1 game I have left early in the 4 years I have been here, and it was this one... I was sooo pissed on how they were just getting beaten badly by a NAIA team. The way we need to stop the bleeding once and for all. Knock off a top 10 team, make a playoff run or get a good FBS win.

How many current students were enrolled in UND when we lost to Sioux Falls? Seniors and older...that's it. I am sick of people blaming the Sioux Falls loss an excuse the attendance is down. That was 3 years ago!! This a completely different team and different opponents!!

Do you have a better explanation for the rather drastic dropoff in attendance since the middle of the 2009 season? I'm not saying people SHOULD stay away. Just that the numbers show that there's a big difference pre and post 2009 Sioux Falls game.

There was 1 game I have left early in the 4 years I have been here, and it was this one... I was sooo pissed on how they were just getting beaten badly by a NAIA team. The way we need to stop the bleeding once and for all. Knock off a top 10 team, make a playoff run or get a good FBS win.

100% agree. We did it before with 36 scholarships back in 2006 at UNI. There's an opportunity for a similar statement this Saturday.

Hopefully we can accomplish the first item this weekend!

• Upvote 1

The reality is that this type of attendance is the new reality for Sioux football as long as we put out a mediocre product and for as long as the dedicated core of fans adjust their expectations downward. The idea that we are talking about tying football attendance to hockey tickets is pathetic - if football wants more butts in the stands then go out and have an outstanding season, make the playoffs, or get a signature win. Name one other campus where football doesn't carry its own water. Yes, there have been some exciting home games, but there also have been some real duds. Let's face it, our transition has been average at best. No signature wins, a so-so record, and some memorable losses. Even though the Sioux Falls game was 3 years ago, it definitely killed the buzz and excitement around the football program. Beating a 3-4 team at home is nice, but not a signature win - not even close.

• Upvote 3

The solution is to mandate football attendance in order to receive or get priority to lower bowl Men's hockey tickets. They should have the students check in AFTER the game ends to qualify for the hockey games. It has seemed to work for Saturday Women's hockey games. The students will probably b$#ch and moan, but if they are real fans of UND they will attend all the football and hockey games. What really gets me going is out of state students getting hockey tickets over those students who have been fans of UND for years before they even came to college. Most students complain enough already when getting hockey tickets is harder than going online at a specific time, If you are a real fan you will work hard to get tickets and there are too many whiners who think they are entitled to tickets without effort.

They need to allow tailgating earlier and they need to let it last til after the game ends. Let the students come and go, and you cant force them to stay. If they are having fun you won't need to beg them to stay.

The reality is that this type of attendance is the new reality for Sioux football as long as we put out a mediocre product and for as long as the dedicated core of fans adjust their expectations downward. The idea that we are talking about tying football attendance to hockey tickets is pathetic - if football wants more butts in the stands then go out and have an outstanding season, make the playoffs, or get a signature win. Name one other campus where football doesn't carry its own water. Yes, there have been some exciting home games, but there also have been some real duds. Let's face it, our transition has been average at best. No signature wins, a so-so record, and some memorable losses. Even though the Sioux Falls game was 3 years ago, it definitely killed the buzz and excitement around the football program. Beating a 3-4 team at home is nice, but not a signature win - not even close.

Well said. Hockey has nothing to due with this equation. Even though GF/UND are hockey driven, there is no reason UND shouldn't get 12K for a FB game. It's a product issue...entertaining doesn't cut it, moral victories don't cut it. Until this team beats a FBS squad and/or contends for a legit conference title not much will change IMO.

To say the Sioux Falls loss didn't have a significant negative affect on this program is just ignorant. Losses like that cause borderline fans to stay away for a long time.

• Upvote 2

Well said. Hockey has nothing to due with this equation. Even though GF/UND are hockey driven, there is no reason UND shouldn't get 12K for a FB game. It's a product issue...entertaining doesn't cut it, moral victories don't cut it. Until this team beats a FBS squad and/or contends for a legit conference title not much will change IMO.

To say the Sioux Falls loss didn't have a significant negative affect on this program is just ignorant. Losses like that cause borderline fans to stay away for a long time.

I think you are right, and only a winning season and playoffs will get them back.

• Upvote 2

How many current students were enrolled in UND when we lost to Sioux Falls? Seniors and older...that's it. I am sick of people blaming the Sioux Falls loss an excuse the attendance is down. That was 3 years ago!! This a completely different team and different opponents!!

Maybe it has to do with Mussman (in lieu of the Sioux Falls loss). Students and fans alike don't trust him, and caused us humiliation against SF, so they just don't show up, plus that year we went 3-8. Attendance at Memorial Stadium took a huge hit when we were 2-9, 3-8 in 85 and 86. When Roger started winning the crowd came back to really good and loud crowds in 1993. I remember UND vs Mankato State in 93 before UND played the Bison and that crowd was so loud the QB couldn't hear...and thats at Memorial Stadium. It may take awhile before our crowd is hanging from the rafters. It all has one thing in common....WIN!!!!!

• Upvote 1