SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 attendance

darell1976

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/attendance/fcs_attendance.html

UND is ranked:

#22 in total attendance 27,588

#44 in avg attendance 9196

#43 in percent capacity 74.87

Our avg attendance is higher than San Jose State (7326) and Eastern Michigan (5006)

2011:

Total attendance 47,045

Average attendance 7841

percent capacity 63.83%

What would attendance be today outdoors in three hours? 7000 tickets sold with 3000 showing up and 100 students.

I have been to UND games at Memorial Stadium in weather like this and worse....3000 is pushing it. I remember they had a shovel by the aisle so you can shovel out your seat. One thing I like about playing in the Alerus....no frickin cold wind!!

• 2 weeks later...

Through Saturday's game:

#19 total attendance: 46,626

#40 avg attendance: 9325

#41 % capacity: 75.92

Eastern Michigan still averaging 4527 through 4 home games.

The % capacity is the disappointing stat. And don't get me started with why the students would leave during a barnburner of a game.

My expectations are met. The attendance is what I thought it would be: 9,000 to 10,000. Only one thing will start to increase that slowly and its not marketing but winning and building a tradition over many years. This is year 1 of real FCS competition for this team. If we continue to not make the playoffs attendance won't increase.

Ya need to build a tradition or have GF triple in size tomorrow.

Student attendance goes down at every college stadium in the country at halftime.

What makes it a disappointing stat? Your expectations? Been better to only build 10,000 stadium? They are averaging the same students and attendance as they have always done since the Alerus opened.

First, I only speak for myself, so yes it is my expectations, but if I had to speculate I doubt the athletic department goals are to reach 75% of anything. Be it wins or attendance. Especially if you monetize what another 10-15% in attendance does for the bottom line.

Second, no it would not have been better to build a smaller stadium. I don't believe in lowering the bar for the sake of achievement.

Third, I'm not sure if your last statement is an endorsement or criticism. If true, the fact they are averaging the same 75% capacity over what, 11 years, is not a good endorsement. No one strives for a flatlined growth trend over that length of time unless you are already at your goal.

edit: I'm confident with games like Saturday the trend will go up, but if shattered records and a win secured in the last minute of play isn't enough to keep students in the building, I don't know what is.

Here is a stat that will make you wonder why the % is so low and yet we are winning...look at South Dakota:

Avg 8998 (max is 10,000)

% capacity....89.98% through 3 games.

Record is 1-6.

Home games vs Colgate, Western Illinois and Illinois State. NDSU was at a neutral site and is NOT included.

UND is 4-4. Hockey hasn't started yet in Grand Forks (last weekend they were in Alaska). So...what can be improved? Marketing, ticket prices, tv, game times. This stat: 75% for UND vs 90% for USD makes me sick.

Guess who had to weigh in on this subject:

Re: Fans leaving early

icon_post_target.gifby lakesbison on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:26 pm

TOMCAT... thanks for the laugh... oh my god, thats hilarious.

Tomcat "but UND will bring a lot of fans -- just to see the mountains -- and it'll be full. I bet there are around 2,000 North Dakotans in two weeks."

NDSU travels with 4000-5000 fans to every away game, UND will bring about 220.

when this lands on Bisonville's proposturous statement tournament 2012, i hope I get credit for finding it. thats GOLD JERRY!

in fairness, 2,000 fans is a bit of a ridiculous estimate*. the fact that lakes is a douche doesn't mean he is always wrong.

*gladly eat my words if i turn out to be wrong

Lakes is a super-douche. I love to screw with him on AGS. Anyone who does any message board creeping can figure out i'm 344Johnson on bv and ags. Just call him out on everything and watch the positive rep points come in.

They maybe had 150 students at the Illinois State game. That is more fuzzy math by athletic departments that don't count actual tickets taken, like UND does. From what I saw on the Midco broadcast of that Iliinois State game, there were not 9k people there.

And NDSU does not get 4000-5000 at EVERY single road game. Maybe USD and SDSU but they do not get 5000 people in Carbondale, or Macomb, or Normal, or Terre Haute or Springfield or Youngstown. Sorry Lakes.

Once again, Lakes is a douche. Call him out on it please. I was sitting not far behind him at the USD game....could tell that he is a fun guy at the bar, but a total douche(more than me even) as far as forums go.

NDSU gets a ton of fans at SDSU, UNI, USD(idk about when it is in the dakotadome, I guess we have to wait to find out), and the FBS games. The others, like you said, not so much. Though, if the team continues to be very good, I imagine you will see more 'superfans' start to make the trips. I also believe we had a solid amount make the playoff trips to MSU and EWU but once again, those are playoff games.

Here is a stat that will make you wonder why the % is so low and yet we are winning...look at South Dakota:

Avg 8998 (max is 10,000)

% capacity....89.98% through 3 games.

Record is 1-6.

Home games vs Colgate, Western Illinois and Illinois State. NDSU was at a neutral site and is NOT included.

UND is 4-4. Hockey hasn't started yet in Grand Forks (last weekend they were in Alaska). So...what can be improved? Marketing, ticket prices, tv, game times. This stat: 75% for UND vs 90% for USD makes me sick.

Tickets are dirt cheap right now, in fact raising ticket prices would probably be a better idea because you shouldn't devalue a product you feel is quality. Almost all of the game are on TV. The marketing department has really stepped it up this year.'

The improvement needs to be game day atmosphere to get young fans that will actually cheer instead of sitting on their ass arms folded like so many do at the Alerus, it's pathetic that Montanas fans made way more noise the majority of the game. Fans need to realize that you cheer the whole time when your defense is on the field and that it's not like hockey where you only cheer when something happens. Improving the tailgate and the team intro will help.

#1 way to get fans into the game is to win alot and have a bad ass defense.

• Upvote 1

Here is what the student section looked like at 2:25 on Saturday. That is 5 minutes before kickoff of one of the biggest games on our schedule. PATHETIC!!! Can I just say it one more time....THE UND STUDENTS ARE PATHETIC when it comes to their support of this football team. I am embarrassed of our fan support in general...but the students have really been the most disappointing. And this proves it! Pretty sad when fans of an opposing team 1000 miles away outnumber our students by 3-1.

11hx63b.jpg

Not to rush to our defense, but this year has been better for student attendence than it has for the past two years. The students came for Mines, which was the biggest reason why they nearly got 9000 for the home opener, its why they did get over 9000 for PSU for Potato. Trust me, as a student of the transition, the crowd at Montana was STILL better than any game except for Poly last year and any game other than SUU two years ago. Its been better this year.

However, I cannot defend my fellow students on this one, we dropped the ball on this one. Lets explain what was going on this weekend. a weekend women's hockey series against SCSU... and that was it. Everything else was on the road and the hockey games weren't even on TV. The game was played at the right time to sober up if ya had do and it was over early enough for everyone to still have a night out. I don't care if we were 3-4, ya show up. Simple as that. Don't get that winning excuse fixes all, if the hockey team in the middle of the season was .500, the student section would still be full.

BTW: the section in your picture is the section that usually the Band sits in. Unless the other two sections are full, no one really goes into that one. Your point is proven thought.

• Upvote 2

My tickets are right next to the students and it filled in fairly well during the first half. It was not coming back to a very good game for the second half that was baffling to me. And yes, the picture noted above is were the band sits and they happen to be on the field at that time. And yes, the student attandence could be better but that is true of other parts of the stadium also.

Not to rush to our defense, but this year has been better for student attendence than it has for the past two years. The students came for Mines, which was the biggest reason why they nearly got 9000 for the home opener, its why they did get over 9000 for PSU for Potato. Trust me, as a student of the transition, the crowd at Montana was STILL better than any game except for Poly last year and any game other than SUU two years ago. Its been better this year.

However, I cannot defend my fellow students on this one, we dropped the ball on this one. Lets explain what was going on this weekend. a weekend women's hockey series against SCSU... and that was it. Everything else was on the road and the hockey games weren't even on TV. The game was played at the right time to sober up if ya had do and it was over early enough for everyone to still have a night out. I don't care if we were 3-4, ya show up. Simple as that. Don't get that winning excuse fixes all, if the hockey team in the middle of the season was .500, the student section would still be full.

BTW: the section in your picture is the section that usually the Band sits in. Unless the other two sections are full, no one really goes into that one. Your point is proven thought.

Well said. Students were disappointing on Saturday but have been outstanding all season. My tickets are right next to the section 214 and the students there have been loud all season.

Note: A quick google search can show that student attendance is disappointing at schools all across the country and a lot of schools would love to have had 1500-3000 students in attendance every game.

• Upvote 1