SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

First, your sentence makes no sense. Second, yes their is a list. I'm confused how money is being extorted? No one is being forced to buy hockey tickets. People voluntarily give the donation for the right to purchase tickets. I suppose UND could just figure it into the price of season tickets and they would be that much higher. But people probably like the tax donation aspect of the way it is done now.

Regardless, I suppose you have some extra time to discuss it considering its a 100+ degrees down in Phoenix. Too warm to be out by the pool.

How is it being extorted? By forcing people to pay above and beyond the price of the ticket. Since they will not sell you a ticket without it. As for a tax donation lets do the math. Say you did pay $120 extra for 2 tickets that is $240 dollars. 80 percent of that is tax deductible. That works out to $192 dollars. Even at a tax rate of 20 percent that saves you a total of $38.40. Or $19.20 per ticket.

Does UND have problems attracting top NHL prospects to go to school here? Do most of the top programs in NCAA hockey? No and No are the answers to those questions. And having top-notch NHL calibre talent hasn't exactly brought home any NCAA titles, has it?

If people hate ties that much, go to 4 x 4 in regular season overtimes and double the length of the overtime to 10 minutes. That would make it exciting, eliminate a large majority of the ties and keep it a team game, the way God intended! :)

Sure they do....how many top prospects came to NCAA rather than CHL. The number is declining every year. 22 of the 30 first round picks were from the CHL. That is what I meant from being a top prospect....1st round picks.

Sure they do....how many top prospects came to NCAA rather than CHL. The number is declining every year. 22 of the 30 first round picks were from the CHL. That is what I meant from being a top prospect....1st round picks.

Where would a good site to go to and find out how the 1st round picks over the last 10 years have worked out?

It actually went up from 2011 to 2012.

How many college guys went first round in drafts like '07 and '06?

06 there were 3 who went 1st round with a total of 5 1st rounders that played college. 07 one first rounder drafted from college with a total of 11 first rounders who played college.

Does this make the question as to what is better a top college pick that stays around for four years and becomes a team leader? Or a top NHL prospect that leaves after a season or two with no hardware? Just look at the last two titles in 97 and 2000. Travis Roche was the big prospect and his NHL career went no where. Jason Blake no big prospect but has had a great NHL career. Commie did the best but he was only a second round pick and has had a great career. But in the end who can really say which is better.

How many college guys went first round in drafts like '07 and '06?

A decent amount. Starting in like 01- 03 it seemed like there were tons of 1st rounders that went to play college it contined until the last 1-3 years. This year was terrible for college hockey. What was it one kid picked in the first round (mccaron) and he isn't a lock to even play.

A decent amount. Starting in like 01- 03 it seemed like there were tons of 1st rounders that went to play college it contined until the last 1-3 years. This year was terrible for college hockey. What was it one kid picked in the first round (mccaron) and he isn't a lock to even play.

We need to get back to that days where our top two lines were all at least 2nd round picks.

We need to get back to that days where our top two lines were all at least 2nd round picks.

What days were those? Kids today know that going to UND or Minnesota doesn't guarantee anything. Kids from Mankato and St Cloud State make the pros too.

06-07 would be my guess. although duncan wasn't a 1st or 2nd round pick.

'05-06

1st Rounders:

Toews

Oshie

Zajac

Lee

Finley

Stafford

2nd Rounders

Kozek

Chorney

Smaby

Other notables:

Duncan (Hobey winner following year)

Porter (full-time NHLer)

Watkins (saw a game in the NHL)

Spirko (put up over 30 pts each of his two years at UND)

How did they ever lose?

2005-06 in the WCHA was a loaded year in general.

Wisconsin was stacked, so was Minnesota. Denver and CC had some good guys, and even Mankato had something like 4 guys from their team see action in the NHL at some point.

The 2006 draft saw 4 WCHA players in the top 7 picks (Johnson, Toews, Kessel, Okposo).

Read my signature. That's the boilerplate answer a lot of people give. :silly::p

My comment about them losing is a bit tongue-in-cheek. Our goalie wasn't up for it that night (with little help from the defense) and you have to remember a lot of those key players were freshmen that year.

06-07 would be my guess. although duncan wasn't a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Duncan didn't do much though after UND. Low lever pros....I skate in the summers with a lot of those type of players. In a men's league game they dominate but the NHL is a whole different monster.

'05-06

1st Rounders:

Toews

Oshie

Zajac

Lee

Finley

Stafford

2nd Rounders

Kozek

Chorney

Smaby

Other notables:

Porter (full-time NHLer)

How did they ever lose?

Haha I've said that for years....that team was jacked. Didn't they have to beat Mankato in 3 just to get in?

'05-06

1st Rounders:

Toews

Oshie

Zajac

Lee

Finley

Stafford

2nd Rounders

Kozek

Chorney

Smaby

Other notables:

Porter (full-time NHLer)

How did they ever lose?

just think if stafford, zajac and spirko would have stayed another year.

Duncan didn't do much though after UND. Low lever pros....I skate in the summers with a lot of those type of players. In a men's league game they dominate but the NHL is a whole different monster.

He's played in Salzburg for several years and played a year for the Portland Pirates in the AHL. It's definitely not the NHL, but I hardly think that qualifies as "didn't do much."