SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 2: Potato Bowl 2012 - UND vs. Portland State

UND-FB-FAN

My breakdown.

QB used the talents we heard he had all along. Didn't make mistakes. Actually WON the game for us.

RB - tough game for them. Looked timid all game long. Didn't help that there was holding every long run.

WR's - Tons of talent. Couple dropped balls early that I'll attribute to nerves being a big game. Hardin is an absolute beast. Saw a glimpse of what galaday brings to the table. Hopefully as he gets more practce we see him more during the game.

OL - Pass protection - B+. QB did a good job moving in the pocket. Run Game - D unless it was marcus scrambling(accounted for half the rush yards) there wasn't many holes.

OVerall - Nice to see the offense be able to carry this team once again. WAY to many penalties. Killed drives based on penalties alone.

I don't know much about defense but just WAY to many missed tackles. Very impressive coming out in the 3rd. That won the game for us along with QB's play.

Great to win but I'm not sure what to make of this game - Hendrickson carried us - Take away his performance and you have a defense that gives up over 500 yards and has numerous missed tackles, a team that takes 11 penalties, a line that couldn't run block. On the other hand we forced turnovers and made them pay. We have much to be excited about, but also much to work on. This sloppy play won't do in the middle of the season.

Jake Miller has run tentatively all night long....been an awful night for him

I don't disagree but he didn't have anything that even resembled a hole all night. The offensive line couldn't push PSU back at all. That said, they did a very nice job of protecting Marcus.

The Portland State defensive line had a couple of high-calibre guys on the ends of it.

Getting 100+ total rushing yards, keeping 13 upright for next week, and a win and I'm happy tonight.

But if I were the offensive line coach at the next practice I might not be ... ;)

San Diego State is now 1-1* after a 42-7 crush in SD of Army.

I'm happy for SDSU and their big win over an overmatched opponent. Now SDSU gets to play an FCS school at home. Feel really, really confident going into next week SDSU. Overlook UND. :)

*Lost at Washington 21-12 to open season.

My thoughts

Positives

I am glad that we got punched in the mouth right away when PSU scored a touchdown after we went 3 and out. I also like the fact we responded back right away.

Special teams were huge for us and really made the difference of the game. Blocked Punt, Blocked FG, Blocked Extra Point. Zeb looked good, expect for the last FG try.

Hendrickson... what can I say, he really answered the call. He won this game for us with his arm. His numbers could have been even better if it weren't for a few drops. Hope he keeps it up next week vs San Diego State.

Hardin, wow he was an absolute beast and if he could have just extended his arms a little more he could have had 200+ receiving yards.

Golladay: I can see why his shirt was lifted, he is the real deal.

Negatives

Too many penalties. I know a few of them were awful, but we need to get better

Sloppy tackling. We cannot do that week after week, need to get better

Miller: Didn't have it, credit PSU for shutting that down. Loved the direct snaps however.

Overall, that was a very fun game. Crowd was a little better both noise wise and attendance wise, but still got some work left to do to really get it rocking. 2-0 feels nice and makes me feel a lot better in how we can really do in the Big Sky this year. Hopefully by the time Poly rolls around we will be 3-1 or 4-0. Can you imagine the buzz for that game if we are 4-0?

Great win tonight by the team. Our offense has a lot of weapons on a night our O-line play was average. Marcus was the man tonight. His play was great and our WR shook the early jitters and just made plays. I was glad to see Golloday play tonight as much as he did.

On defense, we have some work to do. I haven't heard was D. Brown's injury was. Hopefully nothing serious. We need our front seven to get pressure to help out our dbacks. PSU's qb had some time back there. Still, the D made plays when they had to and man they can be physical. The bogus personal foul call on the hit to the qb was about as loud of a hit as I have heard.

Special teams- Coach Kotelnicki has these guys rolling. 3 blocked kicks tonight and none against us vs. about as good of a special teams unit we'll see in the conference. We were so close to breaking a huge kickoff return as well. Minus the missed FG, these guys all get an A+.

Another great turnout by the students and they were loud in the first half. Thanks to all of you who read this board and who showed up and set the tone. Hopefully the players let everyone know how much they appreciate it and it continues when the team returns in a few weeks.

This team has a ton of potential. Didn't play great tonight and beat an above average Big Sky team. I agree with the earlier poster who said we'll see more running backs like this in the future and that is a concern.

• Upvote 2