SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

For those that might miss it, great post by the SFI guys with a breakdown on positions, links to players videos, etc. Also this picture is excellent (with full credit to them of course):

Untitled.png

Thanks to SFI guys, hambone, UND1 for all the work done in the last few months following recruiting. I'm really looking forward to the guys the coaches brought in during their short time on board.

Welcome to all guys who sign on today.

On Bubba's first national signing day, Mr. Reality Check (Tom Miller) has thrown his usual dose of cold water on the proceedings.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-und-prepares-announce-its-signing-class

It’s not to say today’s recruiting announcement isn’t significant. These young athletes can certainly form the building blocks of a successful program.

However, no amount of highlight videos and high school accolades and statistics released today can tell us if the Bubba era will be any stronger than the Mussman era in the long run.

Gee Tom, tell us something that we don't know! :glare: Of course Bubba and his staff have yet to prove themselves, but this bad cop routine from Miller gets a little old sometimes. On national signing day, can't we just allow people to be excited and enthusiastic about the future without the obligatory "reality check" from Miller? I say yes.

• Upvote 1

On Bubba's first national signing day, Mr. Reality Check (Tom Miller) has thrown his usual dose of cold water on the proceedings.

http://www.grandfork...s-signing-class

Gee Tom, tell us something that we don't know! :glare: Of course Bubba and his staff have yet to prove themselves, but this bad cop routine from Miller gets a little old sometimes. On national signing day, can't we just allow people to be excited and enthusiastic about the future without the obligatory "reality check" from Miller? I say yes.

So now you want the duckies and bunnies? Maybe he is just trying to head off unrealistic expectations that fans create. There are already people that think these recruits are automatically going to turn things around in a hurry. Sure a culture change will help immensely, but chances are it is going to take multiple recruiting classes that are successes to get us where we want to be. Call it cold water, but some fans need to tone down their expectations.

• Upvote 1

So now you want the duckies and bunnies? Maybe he is just trying to head off unrealistic expectations that fans create. There are already people that think these recruits are automatically going to turn things around in a hurry. Sure a culture change will help immensely, but chances are it is going to take multiple recruiting classes that are successes to get us where we want to be. Call it cold water, but some fans need to tone down their expectations.

They haven't even practiced yet and all we have is video and stats. The point is, this is a fun filled day where every team in the country can have hope. Expectations are at the highest now, don't ruin it by raining on the parade. We all know that this doesn't really mean anything, just enjoy....

• Upvote 4

No, I don't want duckies and bunnies. If I see things that I don't like in the coming years, I'll be the first one on here talking about it. And I honestly don't think many people on this forum (or in the fan base as a whole) are looking for a quick turn around. If you followed this program in 2013, you know there is a big mess to clean up. But if you don't generate some excitement and hope for the future, people will remain apathetic about the program. National Signing Day is one of the most important days on the calendar for doing that. Bubba and his staff deserve at least a couple of seasons to clean up the mess Muss left behind and rebuild the team how they want it. I just think negative articles like Miller's should wait until there is actually something legitimate to complain about.

• Upvote 4

I can see the need to temper some people's expectations. Based on a few of the questions in the live chat, it appears some individuals are expecting 11-0 and a conference championship this year. Bubba will get us turned around, but it's going to take more than 1 year to get to where we need to be.

I can see the need to temper some people's expectations. Based on a few of the questions in the live chat, it appears some individuals are expecting 11-0 and a conference championship this year. Bubba will get us turned around, but it's going to take more than 1 year to get to where we need to be.

UND's motto for 2014...worst to first!! ;)

• Upvote 2

"In other words, it doesn’t matter who you bring in if you can’t get the most out of them." - Tom Miller

I can't say Mr. Miller is wrong.

And I am not saying he is wrong. It was arguably the biggest problem with the Mussman regime. But he is telling us something that most of us already know. And the closing comments at the end of the article sounded a little like "Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss". I think Bubba deserves a little more of a honeymoon period than 1+ month. Like I said before, National Signing Day is a Cheerleaders Day for FB programs all across America and it should be used to pump up the excitement and hope for the future in the fan base. And this fan base needs some serious pumping up right now.

I'm not expecting Miller to be a cheerleader by any means, I actually did enjoy his truthful article calling last season's team "unwatchable".

However, I've never seen anything from him that I can't read on here, SFI or find on twitter. (& usually it's on here, SFI or twitter much early) Schlossman is great for hockey, Miller is meh for football. When he actually breaks a story or provides some meaningful insight into the UND football program, then I'll take him seriously.

Let the fans get excited for signing day, as well as a new staff & hopefully a culture change, before you need to write a negative article. Way to bring up kids from 2008 & '10 in this article as well, that has zero effect on the new UND football program. hahaha.

• Upvote 2