SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

They competed well yesterday, just can't have all the turnovers and they are right with a top FCS team. Not the top FCS but a good one.

They did better, but they didn't compete for 60 minutes. Also, more so Eastern Washington making mistakes then UND making plays. Eastern Washington had a lot of dropped passes and there were some bad throws by Vernon Adams to wide open receivers.

I'll admit we played better yesterday than I expected we would, but we still lost 35-14 at home. Add in the fact we lost 2 of the 3 home games before that by over 30 points and you just can't be happy with much of anything that is currently going on.

At home this season, we've been outscored 198 to 148. Take out the lopsided victory (69-10) vs. non-scholarship Valpo and you have us being outscored 188 to 79 at home! That's horrendous!

I really feel dumber after reading this post! Somebody makes valid points and your response is to attack and say that they are OK with Mediocrity. You didn't argue against his points, you just attacked and basically called him apathetic. Just because somebody thinks it's OK to exercise patience in the situation doesn't mean they are OK with being Mediocre.

For me, Mussman seems to take steps forward each year in certain areas, only to go backward in other areas. I think it might be time to replace him but I initially thought he needed three years with playoff eligibility to show what he could do and I will stick to it for now. Right now they will struggle in every game no matter what because they have little to no run game and the QB play is poor. A decent QB would fix a lot of the problems right now, the run game needs more parts to make it go consistently though.

You obviously didn't read his original post! He said, and I quote:

Also, I don't see Mussman being let go after this year because of the way UND runs the program. They lost Lennon at least partially over money. He signed at SIU for 200k a year for 5 years in '07. UND extended Mussman for only 114k, years later. That is at least in part due to how UND values the football program. They could have went out for a big time coach, but they haven't. When the coordinator positions were open last year, they could have went and hired BCS\FCS experienced coaches from the outside and paid some serious dollars. They did not, they promoted from within at a fraction of the cost. This is apparently how the UND administation wants it to be financially. If Mussman is let go, at best it will be one of the far less experienced coaches currently on staff getting promoted. If you are worried about setting UND football back a decade, watch it happen if they do that. It will come down to $$$$, and they have shown over the last decade that big time money won't be thrown at football staff. We have a young team and a young staff. It's going to be a steady improvement if we have a little patience.

These are the "valid points" I am supposed to congratulate him on? This poster basically is accepting the fact that UND will continue being penny-wise and pound-foolish with the FB program. This is the very definition of apathy and acceptance of mediocrity. If our fans let it be known that they don't mind having the FB program being run on a shoestring budget (the women's hockey coach makes more than our FB coach!), then why should the athletic department care if we improve or not? I honestly hope that yesterday was a sign of a revival of sorts for this team, as I do not enjoy going to the Alerus Center to watch us lose over and over again. And it would be much easier to have Mussman work out long-term instead of having to blow it all up and start over. But if all Mussman can do is put together teams that can finish in the middle of the pack in the Big Sky and barely have winning seasons, then I think a change is in order. And it had better not be promoting from within to save a few bucks. :angry:

I stand by the comments I made. And if you feel "dumber" for reading them, then that is your problem. :glare:

snapback.pngSioux_FF, on 13 October 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Also, I don't see Mussman being let go after this year because of the way UND runs the program. They lost Lennon at least partially over money. He signed at SIU for 200k a year for 5 years in '07. UND extended Mussman for only 114k, years later.

So you are saying that Faison should have given Mussman a raise to $150K or more simply because he was underpaid compared to other FCS coaches? Why in the heck would he do that when Muss hadn't produced great results. People aren't hesitant to criticize Faison for a variety of reasons. That would have been a valid reason - giving Mussman a bunch more $ without him earning it.

He will open the check book when he has the opportunity to hire someone who deserves a much larger paycheck - someone who can turn our program around!

• Upvote 2

snapback.pngSioux_FF, on 13 October 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Also, I don't see Mussman being let go after this year because of the way UND runs the program. They lost Lennon at least partially over money. He signed at SIU for 200k a year for 5 years in '07. UND extended Mussman for only 114k, years later.

So you are saying that Faison should have given Mussman a raise to $150K or more simply because he was underpaid compared to other FCS coaches? Why in the heck would he do that when Muss hadn't produced great results. People aren't hesitant to criticize Faison for a variety of reasons. That would have been a valid reason - giving Mussman a bunch more $ without him earning it.

He will open the check book when he has the opportunity to hire someone who deserves a much larger paycheck - someone who can turn our program around!

Absolutely agree. Faison isn't stupid; he will pay accordingly. Hopefully, at the end of this season, we see that checkbook open up.

Right now they will struggle in every game no matter what because they have little to no run game ...

A head coach who is a former offensive lineman, and he has no run game.

He's not worth the $114k. Thank goodness that's all he's making. That can be bought out.

I think what CMSioux is getting at is all the negativity, and the commenting about the temperament and abilities of the staff. To imply that our coaches, with 10, 20, 30 years of experience as college football players and as coaches have a "lack of passion", or don't care, or aren't aware of the problems is just silly.

That goes beyond simple passion or support. It's criticizing them personally, while having 2% of the facts of the situation.

By watching their sideline demeanor, or how they come off in media interviews, commenters on here can tell about their passion for the game? Wow, what amazing talent to have.....The staff are people that live UND football year round. Scouting, recruiting, practicing, teaching, parenting at times and ensuring these kids are going to class and keeping their noses clean. They have families and houses and careers. Not passionate???

You might not like the results we are seeing. But, it's not due to the staff being passionless. It just might be due to UND's 2013 team being not quite as good as the best teams in a very good conference yet. YET. Simply, some of these teams are much better than us, not all, but some. A tough, front loaded schedule and a success story 75 miles to our south exasperated this, but it's not due a lack of passion by our coaching staff. Montana and MSU didn't have D backs that ran stride for stride with Greg Hardin all day long because of a lack of passion by our staff, they did it because they are better than us right now.

It's easy to be nattering nabobs of negativity all the time. And it's OK to be upset with results. But, anonymously calling for people's heads or questioning their passion with basically no facts or knowledge of the inner workings of establishing an FCS program is silly. Just my 2 cents.

Excellent post. There's a big difference between constructive criticism and bashing the coaching staff. Most of the comments seem to fall into the latter category. We've got a first-year DC and a first-year OC, both with a lot of potential, I believe. Both the defense and the running game have started to show improvement the last couple of games; the defense held EW to 200 yds. below their season average. Excellent improvement. Even with experienced, new DC's and OC's, it takes time for their new system to take hold. We're only halfway through the season; let's give these guys a chance to see what they can do the rest of the way.

Excellent post. There's a big difference between constructive criticism and bashing the coaching staff. Most of the comments seem to fall into the latter category. We've got a first-year DC and a first-year OC, both with a lot of potential, I believe. Both the defense and the running game have started to show improvement the last couple of games; the defense held EW to 200 yds. below their season average. Excellent improvement. Even with experienced, new DC's and OC's, it takes time for their new system to take hold. We're only halfway through the season; let's give these guys a chance to see what they can do the rest of the way.

They will get there chance. Muss in particular will get his chance. If a former offensive lineman and offensive coordinator can't develop a good offense over the next 5 games when he has one of the best receiving corps in the country, it would be hard to argue that he should stay. this is really in his hands and the AD should be able to make a very informed decision at the end of the year.

It is interesting to note that both UND and SU are looking at Kindred's Eric Bachmeier as a WR. I had heard that he was talented enough to be recruited as a QB. I don't think either team has made an offer.

Hope Plankers gets him up to Fargo....regardless of position. Important to land the kids from ND.

I posted this over on the BB recruiting thread as well, a lousy FB season doesn't help our recruiting efforts....

Interesting comment from SU's Phillips:

For the time being, Phillips is just fine impressing future recruits with an NDSU football game.

“We get a kid in the Fargodome on a fall Saturday for that intro … it just makes a real strong statement for NDSU,” Phillips said. “Quite frankly, our football success helps our program immensely in recruiting. I am of the belief just because you have a great football program doesn’t mean you can’t have a great basketball program.”

Unfortunately, BB recruits visiting UND this fall may have the opposite effect.

I posted this over on the BB recruiting thread as well, a lousy FB season doesn't help our recruiting efforts....

Interesting comment from SU's Phillips:

For the time being, Phillips is just fine impressing future recruits with an NDSU football game.

“We get a kid in the Fargodome on a fall Saturday for that intro … it just makes a real strong statement for NDSU,” Phillips said. “Quite frankly, our football success helps our program immensely in recruiting. I am of the belief just because you have a great football program doesn’t mean you can’t have a great basketball program.”

Unfortunately, BB recruits visiting UND this fall may have the opposite effect.

If there's another sport a basketball player would want to watch, it's football. After all, any basketball player's favorite additional sport is not hockey, because well, they chose basketball over hockey! And a lot of the basketball players here despise the hockey program. Not only does it take away all the winter sports fans, but the huge Ralph towering down on the neighboring Betty just screams "Here at UND, Hockey > Basketball". Which, of course, at UND it is.

If there's another sport a basketball player would want to watch, it's football. After all, any basketball player's favorite additional sport is not hockey, because well, they chose basketball over hockey! And a lot of the basketball players here despise the hockey program. Not only does it take away all the winter sports fans, but the huge Ralph towering down on the neighboring Betty just screams "Here at UND, Hockey > Basketball". Which, of course, at UND it is.

Back in the day hockey and football didn't get along very well like that party on Dyke where Bobyck got thrown through a bay window. Ah, memories.

Depends on if they want to play right away. Looking at it from that perspective a kid might think he can come in and play right away, with not a lot of upper-classman talent blocking the path.

Those recruits are out there. They will come to a place where they will be given the opportunity to play.

All the more reason for Mr Faison to be in the process of soliciting indications of interest from FBS coordinators and top FCS candidates that come from WINNING traditions now. No Iowa State, Minnesota or Colorado traditions please. I empathize with the Tibesar crowd, but IMHO truly doubt he will want to drop down to a low level FCS team if he has NFL head coaching aspirations. Also not sure if a Glenn Caruso type can make a successful transition to the FCS ranks, so shoot high and open the checkbook.

Time for some new blood. It sure has worked for volleyball.

• Upvote 1

We need to get Connor Wilkie. Kid is a stud. I don't understand why we haven't offered him. It makes absolutely no sense that we are going to miss out on him. He is top 5 in passing yards in the state for the second straight year. Sign him up.

With his size he could probably even transition to TE if qb didn't work out. You can't have enough good football players on a team. They'll find their way into the field.

We need to get Connor Wilkie. Kid is a stud. I don't understand why we haven't offered him. It makes absolutely no sense that we are going to miss out on him. He is top 5 in passing yards in the state for the second straight year. Sign him up.

I just went to look up this kid's stats, and you are right. After seeing how good his stats were, I looked him up on hudl. Why haven't we offered him? He looks like he could start for us right away.

6'5, 210lbs

2055 yards passing with 18 TD's in 8 games (2013)

1711 yards passing with 20 TD's in 8 games (2012)

I'd have to say with only a little over 3 months until National Signing day, things aren't looking too good considering we have ZERO commits. There haven't been any new offers in ages either, which makes me wonder if Muss is planning a "scorched earth" policy. One that leaves nothing left at all for the new guy.

I'd have to say with only a little over 3 months until National Signing day, things aren't looking too good considering we have ZERO commits. There haven't been any new offers in ages either, which makes me wonder if Muss is planning a "scorched earth" policy. One that leaves nothing left at all for the new guy.

I hope that we don't miss out on one of the best recruiting classes because the AD waits too long to make a decision.

This thread is more or less pointless until after the coaching change is made. Any recruit that would commit to UND right now likely has zero other options. We'll probably take a hit in recruiting this year as it's unlikely a new coach will be in place until December as the coaching search should take a few weeks if done correctly. It's a small price to pay if we make the correct hire as it's going to take a new coach at least three or four recruiting class to turn this program around.