SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat MSP

GeauxSioux

A take off on the where to eat in GF...

I'm taking the family north and spending time in both MSP and GF. Does anyone know of some good restaurants in the Bloomington area and east along 494? Looking for family type (kids) restaurants without wall to wall televisions. Somewhere you can actually carry on a conversation across the table without having to shout or lip read.

Thanks.

If you want to go up right by the Southdale Center, there is a place called Tavern on France that you can build your own burger, pizza, salad, and bloody mary. I was only there once, but it was phenomenal IMO.

http://www.thetaverngrill.com/?loc=tof

There is also an Original Pancake House off of France on 70th Street if the kids like pancakes. If you like pasta, there is a place called Ciao Bella pretty close to the Fuddruckers. I'm sure I could find some more, but I spend most of my time in the North/Northwest metro so the Bloomington area isn't all that well known by me.

If you want to go up right by the Southdale Center, there is a place called Tavern on France that you can build your own burger, pizza, salad, and bloody mary. I was only there once, but it was phenomenal IMO.

There is also an Original Pancake House off of France on 70th Street if the kids like pancakes. If you like pasta, there is a place called Ciao Bella pretty close to the Fuddruckers. I'm sure I could find some more, but I spend most of my time in the North/Northwest metro so the Bloomington area isn't all that well known by me.

I concur as I was there about a month ago. I built my own pizza and it was awesome!

I would have mentioned Sensor's but it is definitely a wall to wall TV's and a sportsbar atmosphere. Great food, but with kids might not be the right place.

Mall of America is also right near there. Plenty of great food options and good fun for kids as well. Avoid going there on a weekend if you can, it is a zoo.

I would have mentioned Sensor's but it is definitely a wall to wall TV's and a sportsbar atmosphere. Great food, but with kids might not be the right place.

Mall of America is also right near there. Plenty of great food options and good fun for kids as well. Avoid going there on a weekend if you can, it is a zoo.

Yeah, the wall to wall TVs is what I'm trying to avoid. We plan to hit MOA, but on a weekday.

Here is one of my personal favorites. Glueks in MPLS.

I would not consider Glueks in downtown Minneapolis very kid friendly but since we really have covered that subject let us proceed to our favorite adult restaurants. First pick for me is www.alvento.com followed by Travail Kitchen and Amusements in Robbinsdale. This place has a $70 10 course tasting menu that is unreal. All the chefs seem like they belong on "The Island of Misfit Chefs". Cafe 128 in St. Paul is always a great standby.

If you like Japanese hibachi, my kids love to go to Osaka. There's one in Eden Prairie and one in Bloomington, both off of 494. The teppanyaki chefs are entertaining, atmosphere is very relaxed, and the food is usually very good. Nothing fancy, very kid friendly. I hope you like Sake, 'cause they will squirt it in your mouth as a contest.

If you are having a birthday, they make you wear a silly mask and sing the most ridiculous version of the Happy Birthday song I've ever heard. You cannot get it out of your head, and it will most certainly lead to madness.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Rainforest Cafe in the MOA is pretty cool....I would just go before or after the lunch rush, you wait forever if you don't.

If your kids like trying things, Highland Grill in St. Paul on the corner of Ford Parkway and Cleveland Ave is really good.

Downtown MPLS has an Old Spaghetti Factory.

For adults, the Shout House (downtown MPLS) is fun.

That is all that I can think of for now...but I will let you know if I think of more.

• Upvote 1

Rainforest Cafe in the MOA is pretty cool....I would just go before or after the lunch rush, you wait forever if you don't.

If your kids like trying things, Highland Grill in St. Paul on the corner of Ford Parkway and Cleveland Ave is really good.

Downtown MPLS has an Old Spaghetti Factory.

For adults, the Shout House (downtown MPLS) is fun.

That is all that I can think of for now...but I will let you know if I think of more.

It is a good place to eat. The dessert is awesome a huge chocolate volcano. YUM!!!! For pizza I loved Carbone's Pizza. And the best burger I ate was at Turtle's in Shakopee. Their cowabunga burger was so huge!!!!

Yelp is a great place to look for things. Here is a link to Bloomington:

http://www.yelp.com/...1b0b2b#start=30

I looked at the link and I was surprised to see Gyropolis rated on number 1. I live in Bloomington and it is my favorite place to each lunch. It is a great spot to pick up a quick lunch or dinner. Wally's used to be my favorite until they moved to the new location. Still good food just does not have the same feel.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from our trip north and we hit both Original Pancake House and Tavern on France. Both were great suggestions. In our group we had someone build their own salad, burger or pizza. All of us thought the meal was great. Thanks for the recommendations.