SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

SWSiouxMN

WCHA teams, in particular UND and Wisconsin, paid a price this year to be in a league with MInnesota. Speculation for sure but if Minnesota was in either the ECAC or Hockey East this year, those top eastern teams would have experienced a few more losses as well. I agree with the sentiment expressed earlier that if UND beats Minnesota (a big if to be sure) then they have a great shot at winning the national title.

It wasn't meant as a troll. I know if the Men's pairwise had someone two spots out of the NCAA tourney they would not get in. Guess I just don't understand the Women's pairwise. I felt the top three team deserved to be in the tourney as all three would do very well in the NCAA's.

I think it is also interesting that the gopher Women didn't and don't have to step foot off of campus for any final five game or ncaa tourney games. Must be nice to have the rest of your games in your backyard.

It wasn't meant as a troll. I know if the Men's pairwise had someone two spots out of the NCAA tourney they would not get in. Guess I just don't understand the Women's pairwise. I felt the top three team deserved to be in the tourney as all three would do very well in the NCAA's.

Join the club. It might have something to do with women's hockey having fewer teams. That's all I can think of.

I think it is also interesting that the gopher Women didn't and don't have to step foot off of campus for any final five game or ncaa tourney games. Must be nice to have the rest of your games in your backyard.

When you've won what, 45 straight games?...seems it doesn't much matter where they play.

The Sioux women gave the gopher woman everything they wanted. That was a very evenly played game. Minnesota is, however, very very good at clogging the lanes with their big defensive women. That being said the Sioux women have a very real chance of beating them. If it were not for Raty early in that first period UND would have had at least a couple. Why not play them right away? At some point you're going to have to. It will be fun to watch and both teams will bring their "A" game....comes down to bounces as well.

I'm proud of how far the program has come, and the outcome in Minneapolis won't change that (if it seems like I'm writing off this game-I am).

The real work for this program starts next year IMHO.

I'm not sure I would write this game off just yet, but you are correct in the work that lies ahead for next year. if you have two of the best women players on the planet on your team and just manage to "sneak" into the playoffs that can't be a good sign for what lies ahead for this program.

IF UND can get one by Raty first it could be interesting, Minnesota might actually have to allow a crack in that defense trying to push for a goal.

But that's easy to say, doing it will be another thing.

Idalski talked about this a little bit in the press conference after Saturday's game. Minnesota has had some games where it did face being down early and has responded in every circumstance by raising their level of play. Soux7 mentioned the size of Minnesota's defense. This is an issue for any team facing them plus it not just the size, they are very moblie and get the puck out of their zone very well. And the thing that maybe is the best weapon for coming from behind is their first line which is very difficult to deal with all-game long.

It not impossible for the Sioux to win but like I said earlier it would have been better to have been matched up with someone out east like Cornell for the first game. I would really like their chances in that senario.

Idalski talked about this a little bit in the press conference after Saturday's game. Minnesota has had some games where it did face being down early and has responded in every circumstance by raising their level of play. Soux7 mentioned the size of Minnesota's defense. This is an issue for any team facing them plus it not just the size, they are very moblie and get the puck out of their zone very well. And the thing that maybe is the best weapon for coming from behind is their first line which is very difficult to deal with all-game long.

It not impossible for the Sioux to win but like I said earlier it would have been better to have been matched up with someone out east like Cornell out east for the first game. I would really like their chances in that senario.

Well said although I do disagree with you on one thing. Bozek, IMHO, is their best player....hands down, not even close. She is a mobile defensewoman. Amanda Kessel is fast but doesn't pass much. Brandt is very good too but tires easliy. The part I disagree with you on is the other defensewomen...very big but not that mobile. They clog the lanes with their size and long sticks. The Twins have to find a way to get that first goal. If they do early, it will be a barn burner.

Good point.

Well said although I do disagree with you on one thing. Bozek, IMHO, is their best player....hands down, not even close. She is a mobile defensewoman. Amanda Kessel is fast but doesn't pass much. Brandt is very good too but tires easliy. The part I disagree with you on is the other defensewomen...very big but not that mobile. They clog the lanes with their size and long sticks. The Twins have to find a way to get that first goal. If they do early, it will be a barn burner.

So...Kessel is a puck hog...Brandt has no endurance...Outside of Bozek, big and slow defense...

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully it's not a train) :)

• Upvote 1

if you have two of the best women players on the planet on your team and just manage to "sneak" into the playoffs that can't be a good sign for what lies ahead for this program.

I'm not sure this is 100 percent a fair statement. UND played two more games than some of the teams in the tournament and four more than others in the tournament right now.

Are there games UND should have won? I bet they would say "Absolutely." But I think that the idea that they were barely sneaking in when they played in the WCHA and had nine losses (4 to Minnesota and 3 to Wisconsin) speaks volumes. I would put this year's women's team against any of the other teams in other conferences.

Will there be a drop off next year? Absolutely, but there are talented players and due, in some part, to the Lamoureux sisters they have been able to recruit top talent that wouldn't have looked UND's way five years ago. Bringing in Peter was a great move because he's been able to recruit internationally as well. Having a Monique and Jocelyne Lamoureux on any team, let alone UND's, are few and far between.