SiouxSports.com Forum

Realistic Expectations for UND in the Big Sky

ALPHAGRIZ1

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the off the field issues the Griz have been having I'd give UND a real shot of beating them at the Alerus Center.

I really hope UND doesn't find themselves on the losing end of six football games. I would consider that a disaster of a season.

I'm not delusional, this is the way I see the schedule playing out:

~South Dakota Mines: Win, obviously.

~Portland State: Night game at home, a win.

~San Diego State: First loss of the season.

~Sacramento State: Tough to be on the road two weeks in a row....but I think the Sioux rebound.

~Cal Poly: Win at home.

~Eastern Washington: Loss on the red carpet

~Northern Arizona: Win at home.

~Montana: Loss....but closer than Grizz fans think it will be.

~Montana State: Two losses in a row for the Sioux.

~Southern Utah: Beat em last year, on the home turf they can get them again.

~Northern Colorado: Hopefully no repeat of last year, but a win.

7-4.....Anything better is a fantastic year....anything worse and we're talking about how we can't wait for Joe to start taking reps at the QB position....

Based on the off the field issues the Griz have been having I'd give UND a real shot of beating them at the Alerus Center.

I really hope UND doesn't find themselves on the losing end of six football games. I would consider that a disaster of a season.

I'm not delusional, this is the way I see the schedule playing out:

~South Dakota Mines: Win, obviously.

~Portland State: Night game at home, a win.

~San Diego State: First loss of the season.

~Sacramento State: Tough to be on the road two weeks in a row....but I think the Sioux rebound.

~Cal Poly: Win at home.

~Eastern Washington: Loss on the red carpet

~Northern Arizona: Win at home.

~Montana: Loss....but closer than Grizz fans think it will be.

~Montana State: Two losses in a row for the Sioux.

~Southern Utah: Beat em last year, on the home turf they can get them again.

~Northern Colorado: Hopefully no repeat of last year, but a win.

7-4.....Anything better is a fantastic year....anything worse and we're talking about how we can't wait for Joe to start taking reps at the QB position....

Add 2 wins say a road win against EWU and at home against Montana and we are playoff bound.

As much as I despise your team, I sure would not pick the Montana game as a loss. That program has to be in one hell of a state of disarray. If UND puts a few things together it could be the Darkhorse and if something goes wrong it could be a long season. It will be very interesting to see if Muss earns that extension in this first year in the Sky.

Add 2 wins say a road win against EWU and at home against Montana and we are playoff bound.

I'd give UND a longshot chance to win at EWU, they are going to throw the ball all around the yard and from what I have gathered, isn't that UND's weakness? Those guys got a dang good group of receivers.

Let's hope theyre crippled by qb play like we were in recent years. They'll have no choice but to try and run the ball on us which never ends well for anyone.

Montana is pretty dang good on the ground. Wouldn't be surprised to see them still be a successful team this year. This game did just get a whole lot more winnable for Teh UND.

As much as I despise your team, I sure would not pick the Montana game as a loss. That program has to be in one hell of a state of disarray. If UND puts a few things together it could be the Darkhorse and if something goes wrong it could be a long season. It will be very interesting to see if Muss earns that extension in this first year in the Sky.

I like this take. This pretty much sums up how I feel exactly. I am thinking if the QB position stays healthy and produces at a slightly above average level, this UND team could get 7-8 wins and be looking at the playoffs. A couple things go wrong, and maybe they win 4 or 5 games. I am VERY excited for the season to start, can't wait for that Thursday opener vs. SD Mines.

• Upvote 1

Don't you mean you are very excited to get that Thursday opener out of the way? ;)

Meaning I think they might lose? No.

Meaning the game doesn't do much good for the team? Yes. It is on the schedule, and will serve as a nice tuneup for the season.

As I said, I am just excited to get out and watch this team compete on the field. I don't care WHO they are playing.

• Upvote 2

Meaning I think they might lose? No.

Meaning the game doesn't do much good for the team? Yes. It is on the schedule, and will serve as a nice tuneup for the season.

As I said, I am just excited to get out and watch this team compete on the field. I don't care WHO they are playing.

That game will be an excellent opportunity for players who usually don't to get some touches

I'd give UND a longshot chance to win at EWU, they are going to throw the ball all around the yard and from what I have gathered, isn't that UND's weakness? Those guys got a dang good group of receivers.

Montana is pretty dang good on the ground. Wouldn't be surprised to see them still be a successful team this year. This game did just get a whole lot more winnable for Teh UND.

Unless we have some DB's step up big time, I could really see that game getting out of hand. I think that game might be the one we have the least chance of winning. I'd even give us better chances against SDSU.

Let's hope theyre crippled by qb play like we were in recent years. They'll have no choice but to try and run the ball on us which never ends well for anyone.

Which run first teams has UND played recently and beaten? And how do those teams compare to a typical montana ground game?

Off the top of my head, that would be not many, and not well.

Which run first teams has UND played recently and beaten? And how do those teams compare to a typical montana ground game?

UND has been outstanding against the run and will continue to be. Nobody ran the ball well against us last year.

• Upvote 1

I would love to hear who ran all over UND and how they had problems with the run. Please expand.