SiouxSports.com Forum

Realistic Expectations for UND in the Big Sky

ALPHAGRIZ1

I certainly think UND is more than capable of beating Cal Poly next season (the Allerus Center is tough place to play and we are unlucky enough to have to go there two years in a row), but I would not put it down as a for sure win.

Cal Poly will not take UND lightly and they will be a better team in 2012. Look for them to open it up more on offense and throw it more than 10 times a game. The defense will finally have all d-linemen recruited for a 4-3 defense and not the flex and they will have a 3 year and a 4 year starters backing them up at the LB positions. The defensive secondary loses Asa, but is deeper and more talented this season.

It should be another great game, just like the last three.

I see a 24-21 or even an OT type finish. I don't think either team will blowout the other. Should be a great atmosphere with a packed house.

I welcome the discussion. I've grown tired of the North Dakota-NDSU "pollgate" threads.

Is it just me, or is a blowhard from Montana much more likeable than a blowhard from Fargo?

Just wait till you have to be around them for 50 years, if you thought some of the Bison fans were bad.............

You mean jealously don't you?

Oh calm down. I was making a joke. Of course UND, and other Big Sky schools, are going to have respect for Montana's program. (And Montana State for that matter). They are the big dogs in the conference in regards to football. They have the hardware to prove it. Because I respect a program doesn't mean I am jealous. there is a difference.

I think the jealousy you are looking for is that of NDSU towards UND getting in the conference that rejected them twice :lol: (P.S. that was a joke too, so you don't need to give me a dissertation comparing the Summit/MVC scenerio to the Bog Sky).

Oh calm down. I was making a joke. Of course UND, and other Big Sky schools, are going to have respect for Montana's program. (And Montana State for that matter). They are the big dogs in the conference in regards to football. They have the hardware to prove it. Because I respect a program doesn't mean I am jealous. there is a difference.

I think the jealousy you are looking for is that of NDSU towards UND getting in the conference that rejected them twice :lol: (P.S. that was a joke too, so you don't need to give me a dissertation comparing the Summit/MVC scenerio to the Bog Sky).

That's only in your own mind.

You're kidding right?

Nice to see you are not here as a troll and what great "outside perspective" you continue to bring. Isn't there half a dozen threads about UND over at bisonswille you could be posting on?

Actually men's and women's hockey, men's and women's basketball, and volleyball all play in the Ralph/Betty. That makes 5 sports that play in a facility that is better than anything at NDSU. Thanks for playing.

But.. but.. the SHAC is coming, its coming we almost have the money.

You guys are probably in for a really rude awakening this season.

I say this because I have been reading the delusion on this board for awhile and its really starting to look like the MSU website every year.

This isnt smack but sometimes the truth hurts a bit so brace your self here it is.

UND will lose at least 6 games this year:

Portland St

San Diego St

Eastern Washington

Montana

Montana St

Southern Utah

and a very real possibility of losing to Cal Poly and Sac St

These teams are proven at this level and are returning a ton of talent, its just not a good year to be breaking into a new conference with what you guys have coming back.

Now if you want a real debate, please criticize my comments with facts and stats. I realize most of you will take the easy way out and start calling for me to be banned, call me a troll and evade facts and debate like a modest Kardashian

We can have a decent conversation or a cyber slugfest its up to you.

I agree with SDSU, Montana, MSU, and Eastern Washington as losses. I see Portland St, Sac St, Poly, and SUU as pick em games and I like that 3 of those are at home. I see 6-5 or 7-4 with either 4-4 or 5-3 in the Big Sky as a realistic expectation, but I will be very disappointed with anything less than that.

I don't think anyone is arguing how nice the Ralph is, but isn't this a football forum?

OK, I will bring it back to football. Is the Fargodome really that much better than the Alerus? Seriously. OK, I know that it obviously holds more people. But looking at the overall facility.....wouldn't they really be comparably the same?

OK, I will bring it back to football. Is the Fargodome really that much better than the Alerus? Seriously. OK, I know that it obviously holds more people. But looking at the overall facility.....wouldn't they really be comparably the same?

Before the renovations yes. The fargodome has FBS quality meeting rooms and a decent locker room for the football team. The upstairs offices are also top notch. And given the fact that the fargodome people give a rats ass about Bison football and making it a good show I'd say the Fargodome is the winner.

Strictly as a building the FargoDome is fugly though. The Alerus is better looking outside and isn't like a dungeon inside. The amount of seating and the stupid endzone catwalks are are a joke but the place is great when fans actually show up.

In other words the FargoDome is better since they do more than just play the games there, its more of a home than the Alerus is for UND.

We have a beautiful newly reconstructed stadium but haven't had the success on the field for some time that's needed to generate a great deal of excitement from PDX fans. It's great though to see large crowds when UM & MSU come to town - hopefully we can fan the flame when UND visits in a couple of years. The Portland State Athletic Dept. has ended up on the short end of the stick for decades, but has recently found resources to build a new Basketball arena (tentatively called the Viking Palace) which will finally give the program needed visibility and revenue from community events, etc. Lord knows we all need as much help as possible!

9389550-standard.jpg

We have a beautiful newly reconstructed stadium but haven't had the success on the field for some time that's needed to generate a great deal of excitement from PDX fans. It's great though to see large crowds when UM & MSU come to town - hopefully we can fan the flame when UND visits in a couple of years. The Portland State Athletic Dept. has ended up on the short end of the stick for decades, but has recently found resources to build a new Basketball arena (tentatively called the Viking Palace) which will finally give the program needed visibility and revenue from community events, etc. Lord knows we all need as much help as possible!

9389550-standard.jpg

Do you know if Portland State will have that video series for football like they did last season? I loved watching it!

Before the renovations yes. The fargodome has FBS quality meeting rooms and a decent locker room for the football team. The upstairs offices are also top notch. And given the fact that the fargodome people give a rats ass about Bison football and making it a good show I'd say the Fargodome is the winner.

Strictly as a building the FargoDome is fugly though. The Alerus is better looking outside and isn't like a dungeon inside. The amount of seating and the stupid endzone catwalks are are a joke but the place is great when fans actually show up.

In other words the FargoDome is better since they do more than just play the games there, its more of a home than the Alerus is for UND.

FargoDome isn't like a dungeon inside anymore. New lighting made a noticable difference. I also find the dome to look better than the Alerus but maybe it is because I prefer brick. To each his own I suppose.

What is the actual state of your team going into next season. We obviously know you have a good qb but how is the rest of the team shaping up for next fall?

This team is extremely focused and working harder than any team I can remember.

Our OL will be strong to begin with and I believe if they stay healthy will be dominating as the season goes on. Kistler is a road grader and Poehls is not far behind him as far as size and possible NFL talent.

RB's - We have 3 returning players with a ton of PT. Canada is a burner, Nguyen is a fumble machine but very jukey and evasive. Moore is a power back with a great 20 yard burst and as much power as any RB in the country, very very strong kid. We have 3 more that can contribute behind them, Walden, Kirschner and Hagfors.

WR's - Saylor is going to be a match up nightmare for most DB's in the BSC because he has size and deceiving wheels, Haynes will be the field stretcher, he too has size and speed. Gratton, Carver and Warren in the slot are all proven and have playing time from last year.

DT - Some new faces but all have playing time from last year. Harris is returning from a great year and should elevate his game this season.

LB's - Tripp, Coyle, Holt, Stuberg, Kanongataa, Owen (and possibly Gamboa) are the best group of LBs in the FCS and should be the single best unit on our team this season.

Secondary - young and somewhat inexperienced but loads of talent that should prove itself this season. Harris at CB is going to be a stud and should lock down one side of the field, couple that with Nguyen and Murray and Dennard possibly rotating on the other side and the corners will be very solid. Safety is overflowing with proven talent, Hermanson, Rominger, Tully, Lebsock and possibly Gamboa switching from LB to safety is a great problem to have. Can you say FAST?

This team is going to be very strong if they stay healthy, I predicted on Maroonblood.com months ago when all this criminal crap was going on that if this team stays healthy they wont lose a game this season. I still stand by that and any poster that has read me over the years can tell you I dont make predictions unless I feel they have a high probability of happening.

I havent been this excited for a returning group of players since 2000-2001.

Its going to be a hell of a ride.......so step aside the train is already on the tracks.