SiouxSports.com Forum

Brock, Danny, and Derek: PLEASE STAY!!!

yzerman19

My good source,who has yet to be wrong, has told me the boys may be signing a pact similar to last year when everyone came back. With that said he still believes Kristo will go but won't decide until this summer.Time will tell.

It'd be cool to have Kristo involved with that "pact" as well.

In the year of the original "pact" (Oshie, Chorney, Duncan, etc), we still had Toews leave early. He was just ready.

It'd be cool to have Kristo involved with that "pact" as well.

In the year of the original "pact" (Oshie, Chorney, Duncan, etc), we still had Toews leave early. He was just ready.

Toews was one of the few cases where you absolutely had no doubt he was ready, and going to go.

I don't know if I would put Kristo in that category. Kristo is unbelievable talented, but he has also come from a college hockey family, and has wanted to play for the Sioux for many years.

Guys shouldn't be signing unless they are NHL ready, or going to Europe for big money. Once you sign you can be stashed in the AHL indefinately, unless you have the goods. Jordan Schroeder signed into an organization with a very deep talent pool, seeing how is really isn't 3rd/4th line material he now has serious questions if he will ever make it. Not that a max bonus is bad, but you don't make big money unless you play in the NHL. They AHL/Europe will almost always be there later, you only get one shot at the first contract.

• Upvote 3

Guys shouldn't be signing unless they are NHL ready, or going to Europe for big money. Once you sign you can be stashed in the AHL indefinately, unless you have the goods. Jordan Schroeder signed into an organization with a very deep talent pool, seeing how is really isn't 3rd/4th line material he now has serious questions if he will ever make it. Not that a max bonus is bad, but you don't make big money unless you play in the NHL. They AHL/Europe will almost always be there later, you only get one shot at the first contract.

There are many "Schroeder" examples.

And there are the Hextalls and Gregoires that come back after leaving and tell teammates to stay.

But you still see early departures that just make you shake your head.

And there are the Hextalls and Gregoires that come back after leaving and tell teammates to stay.

I made this point with regards to preparing players for the Frozen Four experience and I will make it with regards to leaving early: These are 18-23 year olds we are talking about. They are very young and impressionable, particularly when agents are whispering sweet nothings into their ears. They tell these kids what they want to hear, get them to sign and then stash them in the AHL. And once they realize they aren't ready for the next level and wish they hadn't left early, it's too late to change their minds. I would hope these kids really listen to those that have gone before them and think really hard about the consequences of leaving early before you are 100% sure you are ready.

• Upvote 1

I made this point with regards to preparing players for the Frozen Four experience and I will make it with regards to leaving early: These are 18-23 year olds we are talking about. They are very young and impressionable, particularly when agents are whispering sweet nothings into their ears. They tell these kids what they want to hear, get them to sign and then stash them in the AHL. And once they realize they aren't ready for the next level and wish they hadn't left early, it's too late to change their minds. I would hope these kids really listen to those that have gone before them and think really hard about the consequences of leaving early before you are 100% sure you are ready.

I agree to a point. Heck, if someone offered me hundreds of thousands of dollars to leave school early, I can't say I would have turned it down. As fun as college was, money is the great enticement.

On the other hand, these guys are not only receiving information from agents. They have family, Hakstol, and I'm sure they can call any one of the guys who left early for their opinion. I think that's where they'll get the most honest feedback about their game and their readiness.

But going back to the other side again, I'm sure some of these guys hear great things from the organization itself, and that would be difficult to ignore.

The bottom line is that this isn't an easy decision, and I think we can all respect the amount of information these guys have to process in order to reach that decision.

Don't you think Gregoire would have had more of an opportunity with Winnipeg had he had not been injured early in the year?

So true. I gave up my 7th year for the money teaching English to 9th graders.

Shakes head.

Is he healthy now? Is he up with the big club?

He actually hasn't been up all year. He's played 37 games for St. John's this year, but he missed about six weeks from November to mid-December, and then was out about another month until early March. It seems the injuries have been a setback for him, so I just wonder if he would have seen some time with the Jets if that wasn't the case.

He actually hasn't been up all year. He's played 37 games for St. John's this year, but he missed about six weeks from November to mid-December, and then was out about another month until early March. It seems the injuries have been a setback for him, so I just wonder if he would have seen some time with the Jets if that wasn't the case.

Gregoire has always been a bit injury-prone. That might make it harder for him to get to the NHL, which is a shame. He has a lot of God-given talent.

Looks like you guys are clear of the first hurdle which is the immediate signing and insertion into an NHL lineup.

I really don't think any of the guys are ready for that, Kristo being the only one that is close but I am willing to bet that if he signs this offseason, it won't be with Montreal, he will become a free agent.

I am out of the loop: where did Ben Blood go play now that the season is over?

Nothing has been released yet, I would imagine he would spend the rest of the year with the Binghamton Senators, Ottawa's AHL affiliate.

Looks like you guys are clear of the first hurdle which is the immediate signing and insertion into an NHL lineup.

Yeah, after the season ends you hold your breath for about four or five days as the agents and NHL teams come a-callin. Or I should say, the AHL teams come a-callin.

This year the Sioux don't have a T.J. Oshie/Toews type player who would make the immediate jump. I know the wild are out of the playoff hunt and their season is over, but I was still kind of surprised that Zucker was in the NHL almost right away.

Yeah, after the season ends you hold your breath for about four or five days as the agents and NHL teams come a-callin. Or I should say, the AHL teams come a-callin.

This year the Sioux don't have a T.J. Oshie/Toews type player who would make the immediate jump. I know the wild are out of the playoff hunt and their season is over, but I was still kind of surprised that Zucker was in the NHL almost right away.

The Wild are so high on the kid, and for fairly good reason. They wanted his speed added to the lineup. They're 3-0 with him.;)