SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Here's my try

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo Another deadly top line, only issue is all 3 are right handed shots

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks Too much success/chemistry a year ago for them not to start out this way

Caggiula-O'Donnell-Rodwell Could be a break out year for both O'Donnell and Rodwell, I have high hopes for Caggiula as a freshman

Chyzyk-Pattyn-St. Clair Good energy line, I think Caggiula and Chyzyk are interchangeable here, Pattyn and St. Clair will provide hard working, honest play.

Yes I like yours way better. That top line SHOULD happen; I don't know why anyone would mess with that 2nd line after last year (plus there is no way you move Rowney off the 2nd line to start the year) and the rest of those lines are nice.

I feel like he was the least "Sioux-like" player I have ever seen at UND. Soft... never went into the boards, avoided contact. No grit, no grind. Seemed like a good kid, but definitely didn't ever fit the mold... IMO I guess. Good luck Taylor, I hope the Bisons treat you well.

Is anyone else wondering where everyone is gonna fit this season? So many talented forwards.

This sounds like you are describing Tony Hrkac.

I always believe that you roll lines versus stacking one line. I think this Sioux team could roll 3 scoring lines...

What if:

Scoring 1: Knight with Kristo and Chyzyk (Knight and Kristo make this line a legitimate top line regardless of who plays the other wing)

Scoring 2: Grimaldi with Parks and MacMIllan (keep the chemistry on the wings, insert Rocco)

Scoring 3: Rowney with O'Donnell and Rodwell (could be the best 3rd line in the league)

Energy: St Clair with Pattyn and Gleason (Pattyn and Gleason earned it last year, i think St Clair gets in)

D pairings:

Mac and Schmaltz

Forbert and Mattson

Panzo and Simpson

• Upvote 1

I always believe that you roll lines versus stacking one line. I think this Sioux team could roll 3 scoring lines...

What if:

Scoring 1: Knight with Kristo and Chyzyk (Knight and Kristo make this line a legitimate top line regardless of who plays the other wing)

Scoring 2: Grimaldi with Parks and MacMIllan (keep the chemistry on the wings, insert Rocco)

Scoring 3: Rowney with O'Donnell and Rodwell (could be the best 3rd line in the league)

Energy: St Clair with Pattyn and Gleason (Pattyn and Gleason earned it last year, i think St Clair gets in)

D pairings:

Mac and Schmaltz

Forbert and Mattson

Panzo and Simpson

I know most people think that we will see Gleason back at D this year, but TBH, I think he might be more valuable as a checking line forward. He is extremely gritty, tenacious, and fast, along with having solid skill. I think Panzarella is more than good enough to be a 3rd pairing defensive defenseman in this league, now the question is how to get the most talent on the ice at once. The answer, which you alluded to, is moving Gleason up to forward once again. If Hakstol doesn't stack the first line (Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo) whoever is playing LW on that line is going to be extremely lucky, it wouldn't be bad to put a freshman with them, help accelerate their transition a bit.

I know most people think that we will see Gleason back at D this year, but TBH, I think he might be more valuable as a checking line forward. He is extremely gritty, tenacious, and fast, along with having solid skill. I think Panzarella is more than good enough to be a 3rd pairing defensive defenseman in this league, now the question is how to get the most talent on the ice at once. The answer, which you alluded to, is moving Gleason up to forward once again. If Hakstol doesn't stack the first line (Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo) whoever is playing LW on that line is going to be extremely lucky, it wouldn't be bad to put a freshman with them, help accelerate their transition a bit.

That's what I was thinking...also, the lines that I put out there have at least one VERY fast player on each line: Kristo, Rocco, Rodwell, Gleason- that is dangerous speed on each line. Having Gleason in the lineup as a forward also protects us in the event of a 5 minute and a game against a d-man or really any series of penalties against d-men. If Mac gets tossed for a CFB and then later in the game Forbert gets 2, you can spell the other boys by rotating Joe back there.

What if:

D pairings:

Mac and Schmaltz

Forbert and Mattson

Panzo and Simpson

This is how BC wins national championships....having the depth to wear teams down. If UND has three consistent point producing units with a fourth line that can steal you three to four shifts a period, you can wear a team down while keeping fresh bodies attacking for three periods.

If you've got Carter Rowney centering a third line, imagine the mismatch you could have. Heck, I'd match up a Rowney centered line against most top units in the WCHA.

• Upvote 1

What if:

D pairings:

Mac and Schmaltz

Forbert and Mattson

Panzo and Simpson

I like the look of these forward lines. Spreading the skill w/o thinning it. Although Chyzyk is an unknown to me.

Also, what about our walk on work horse from last season?

I have to say that I didn't pay much attention to Dicken when he was out there, but I did not notice him being overly "soft" as many are insinuating. I would guess that it has less to do with his "soft" play and more to do with the fact that he was unlikley to get much ice time- In fact, I think it is kind of mean spirited to call him out for this as he moves on. I'd prefer to say "thank you" and "good luck" in Manitoba, YOUNG man.

For one, I never insinuated the reasoning for his leaving. It's clearly about him not getting playing time. I thought he was soft and that is merely my opinion. And yes, I did wish him well. I have an opinion. Shoot me

I disagree. I think Gleason is much more valuable as a puck moving defenseman and at times a one-man breakout. He, like Genoway, is much better suited at creating offense from the back-end than upfront. His skating is a bigger weapon on D and I for one am looking forward to a full year of Gleason in his natural position.

• Upvote 2

I disagree. I think Gleason is much more valuable as a puck moving defenseman and at times a one-man breakout. He, like Genoway, is much better suited at creating offense from the back-end than upfront. His skating is a bigger weapon on D and I for one am looking forward to a full year of Gleason in his natural position.

I agree, UND will need his speed on the back end. Plus he got very high marks for playing D at the Blackhawks prospect camp. I expect to see him at D. We are much deeper up front (remember the older MacMillian will be eligible after the break) than we are on the back end. I think Gleason starts over Panzarella in most cases and only if Schmaltz underacheives does someone else get a shot.

I like the look of these forward lines. Spreading the skill w/o thinning it. Although Chyzyk is an unknown to me.

Also, what about our walk on work horse from last season?

Chyzyk was a pretty solid scorer in the USHL last year, that is why I put him up on that line. As for the walk-on work horse, I assume that you mean Gaarder? He will definitely compete for a fourth line spot. Hak has generally rewarded the hardest workers in practice with opportunities on that energy line. I think the other freshmen will be in the same spot: Caggiula, Sanderson, as well as the elder MacMillan transfer.

I agree, UND will need his speed on the back end. Plus he got very high marks for playing D at the Blackhawks prospect camp. I expect to see him at D. We are much deeper up front (remember the older MacMillian will be eligible after the break) than we are on the back end. I think Gleason starts over Panzarella in most cases and only if Schmaltz underacheives does someone else get a shot.

We have 3 puck moving dmen that will get ice ahead of Gleason: Mattson, SImpson, Schmaltz. I always like a dpairing with one puck mover and one "punisher"- Mac is really the only punisher, but Forbert and Panzo are more punisher than Mattson, Simpson or Schmaltz.

I think we need Joe in the lineup, as his speed and smarts and utility are invaluable. He could be this year's Jake Marto.

In order to be effective in our end, Joe would need a Forbert or a Mac though- a bigger body, as a partner. I think that those guys will be paired with Mattson and Schmaltz (who probably will bring more offense than Joe)

We have 3 puck moving dmen that will get ice ahead of Gleason: Mattson, SImpson, Schmaltz. I always like a dpairing with one puck mover and one "punisher"- Mac is really the only punisher, but Forbert and Panzo are more punisher than Mattson, Simpson or Schmaltz.

I think we need Joe in the lineup, as his speed and smarts and utility are invaluable. He could be this year's Jake Marto.

In order to be effective in our end, Joe would need a Forbert or a Mac though- a bigger body, as a partner. I think that those guys will be paired with Mattson and Schmaltz (who probably will bring more offense than Joe)

He was IMO the most overlooked and underappreciated player on last year's squad. I don't care where he plays as long as he plays every night!

And I'll add that I think it will tough to keep Gaarder and Pattyn out of the line-up as the season moves forward. Those two might not have the talent of some of the incoming Fr. but both have the "it" factor which you can't quantify.

He was IMO the most overlooked and underappreciated player on last year's squad. I don't care where he plays as long as he plays every night!

And I'll add that I think it will tough to keep Gaarder and Pattyn out of the line-up as the season moves forward. Those two might not have the talent of some of the incoming Fr. but both have the "it" factor which you can't quantify.

The head coach is a big fan of Joe Gleason as well.

This is what head coach Dave Hakstol had to say when he was asked about Joe Gleason.

“Joe Gleason the epitome of a great teammate.”

“Joe is a proud guy and he obviously wants to play, he was recruited here as a defenseman, and both night this weekend he played defense, he played center and he played right wing. I guess I would describe it as invaluable in a team setting. He is doing whatever the teams needs, he not just going out and doing it, but going out and doing it well.”