SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Awards Ballots

hrkac

Have seen most UND games this year and Kristo has been the best player on the ice, from either team, in well over half those games. I like Nelson, but he in no way changes the complexity/dynamic of the games like Danny does night in and night out.

If the writer's vote on actual play rather than stats, I think both Blood and Kristo should be one of the All-Conference teams even though their in-Conference stats don't really warrant it. Brock Nelson led the WCHA in goals, but anyone that has watched that first line play this year know's that Kristo is easily the most dominant player night in and night out on that line.

Don't know if it'll happen, but I hope Mattson gets a little recognition as a top rookie. He's been very solid for a rookie with high minutes, and shown lots of talent this year.

I agree with everything you say, I just don't think he will get the recognition. His point totals would put him on the All-Rookie team most years, but he happens to be behing two other rookie d-men, LaLeggia and Prochno, that have substantially more points. Mattson just happens to be stuck in a really good year for rookie d-men.

Brad Schlossman posted his selections

Coach of the year: Dave Hakstol, UND.

Comments: The coach of the league champ (Lucia) always is a great option, but I ended up going with Hakstol. The Sioux have one of the best records in the nation since Nov. 4, and they’re doing it with 17 bodies and a group of forwards that’s half made up of defensemen or walk-ons or both. In the last year, they’ve lost Matt Frattin, Brad Malone, Evan Trupp, Jason Gregoire, Brett Hextall, Brent Davidson, Chay Genoway, Jake Marto, Derrick LaPoint, J.T. Miller, Colten St. Clair, Rocco Grimaldi, Ryan Hill, Michael DiPuma, Brett Bruneteau, Mike Cichy, Derek Rodwell and Brendan O’Donnell (18 players). They had Corban Knight, Mario Lamoureux, Derek Forbort, Taylor Dickin and Aaron Dell miss games due to injuries, yet still clinched home ice, a top-four finish and have a shot at NCAAs heading to the playoffs. Rather improbable.

It really is unbelievable how much we've lost over the last year.

UW Blogger Chuck Schwartz also posted his selections

Have seen most UND games this year and Kristo has been the best player on the ice, from either team, in well over half those games. I like Nelson, but he in no way changes the complexity/dynamic of the games like Danny does night in and night out.

I agree with everything you said. I don't understand why Danny doesn't seem to get the respect he deserves when it comes to postseason awards.

I agree with everything you said. I don't understand why Danny doesn't seem to get the respect he deserves when it comes to postseason awards.

A big part of it is numbers. Other players have more points. Votes for awards are often based on points scored.

Hakstol has to be the coach of the year. I won't be upset if Lucia wins the award or even Motzko, but to be dealt the hand they have this season and still be talking about a possible NCAA birth is quite an accomplishment.

Nobody care's, but here is the way I see it:

Coach of the Year: Hakstol

Player of the Year: Connolly

Rookie of the Year: Rau

First team Forwards: Connolly, Brown, Kristo

First team Defense: Schultz, Blood

First team Goalie: Patterson

Kristo has been the best player on the ice in a majority of the games I've watched this season. Can't put another guy up there, can't think of one better.

If I'm starting a WCHA team from scratch, picking any six, my first team is:

Forwards: Schwartz, Jack Connelly, Bjugstad

Defense: Schultz and Blood

Goaltender: Patterson

POTY: Patterson. Minnesota doesn't win the Macnaughton without him.

ROTY: LaLeggia. Phenomenal production.

COTY: Hakstol. Taking half a roster and finishing 4th? Unbelievable. Eades and Jackson should get credit too.

If I'm starting a WCHA team from scratch, picking any six, my first team is:

Forwards: Schwartz, Jack Connelly, Bjugstad

Defense: Schultz and Blood

Goaltender: Patterson

POTY: Patterson. Minnesota doesn't win the Macnaughton without him.

ROTY: LaLeggia. Phenomenal production.

COTY: Hakstol. Taking half a roster and finishing 4th? Unbelievable. Eades and Jackson should get credit too.

Looks perfect in my eyes.

One other note while we are reviewing WCHA Awards ...

In an era where puck possession is more and more important, your top face off guy is a valuable penalty killer, and a valuable component of your powerplay.

We've been spoiled at UND in having some of the best around, going back years and years (Dave Tippett and Troy Murray among a long line), but Corban Knight has been phenomenal all year long, going most nights up against the other team's top line.

Through Saturday, at 480 wins, 338 losses. 59% in round percentages. Over the season, 70 extra puck possessions, and many of those in man-advantage situations.

He is fun to watch, varying his approach game by game, but almost always with a disproportionate degree of success.

The combination of strong own-zone play and faceoff success makes me think a role like Dave Bolland has with the Blackhawks might be in his future.

UW Blogger Chuck Schwartz also posted his selections

Not that I agree with his selection of not fitting Kristo somewhere in his top 9 forwards, it's absolutely unbelievable how many great forwards we have in this league.

And for no one to talk about Corban Knight is mind-boggling. Not the leading stats guy on the team, but I feel he's the team MVP.

Not that it matters, but Kristo was my 10th forward if anyone cares. Thanks, MissSioux85 for linking to my website.

By the way, it wasn't a slight on Kristo...there are just unbelievable forwards in the league this season. It's a numbers game.

No slight on him whatsoever, based on in-conference stats he doesn't deserve to be on it. I really don't expect him to be on any of the 3 all conference teams, which is OK, Fighting Sioux fans know just how good he is and I personally would not trade him for many other players in this league.

Not that I agree with his selection of not fitting Kristo somewhere in his top 9 forwards, it's absolutely unbelievable how many great forwards we have in this league.

And for no one to talk about Corban Knight is mind-boggling. Not the leading stats guy on the team, but I feel he's the team MVP.

I vote for Gleason. Doesn't have the stats but has been invaluable playing every position whenever needed.

Gopher fans would pop a vessel if this happened. :)

it would be awesome, eh? hahhaaaa...

also, btw... i'm not so sure all the close calls amongst WCHA picks is because of a embarrassment

of riches.... Overall, i find the skill level this year to be very mediocre.....

For those that don't see Kristo's performances night in and night out in which he is all over the ice, you almost have to use numbers as a guide. Brad has had to use numbers and the performance of J.T. Brown against the Sioux to put him where he is on his list. I am sure the Minnesota media contingent are more impressed by Brock Nelson with the numbers he put up against them. It kind of is a matter of when people watch you combined with overall numbers.

For those that don't see Kristo's performances night in and night out in which he is all over the ice, you almost have to use numbers as a guide. Brad has had to use numbers and the performance of J.T. Brown against the Sioux to put him where he is on his list. I am sure the Minnesota media contingent are more impressed by Brock Nelson with the numbers he put up against them. It kind of is a matter of when people watch you combined with overall numbers.

I'd even go a step further, as far as the top line goes I'd even put Knight ahead of Nelson. But without question, Kristo is the straw that stirs the drink when that line gets it going.

Did anybody see Andy Baggots picks? How bad does he hate UND.

I was more annoyed with his reasoning for Coach of the Year. When the main reason you give as to why Motzko got the award is because he had to deal with 2 injuries and a defection...that's pretty weak when you consider that Hakstol dealt with a ton more injuries/defections and still finished higher in the standings.

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/uw-men-s-hockey-schultz-zengerle-on-my-all-wcha/article_58974192-6715-11e1-adef-0019bb2963f4.html

It seems everyone thinks scoring 23 goals is a non-factor. If it's so easy more people would do it. He's also on the #1 PK unit so he's not a 1-way player. Scoring goals is hard - we'll miss him when he is gone.

I don't see how Brock Nelson isn't on everyone ballot at least for third team All-WCHA.

Andy Baggot is officially a moron.....I can't believe I lowered my hockey IQ by reading his worthless drivel....

He should have just left Ben Blood off the third team, no reason to put any UND players on any of the All Conference Teams.