SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Grand Valley St.

UND92,96

Since it's Wednesday and there's no thread about the actual game yet, I'll give my $.02 worth.

It looks like Grand Valley is very strong defensively this year, and particularly against the run. They've also gotten a lot of sacks and turnovers. I think the Sioux still need to utilize the power rushing game, but I wouldn't expect a great deal of success there. If Grand Valley is going to exploited, it would likely have to be by throwing the ball. Bowenkamp needs to play better than he has thus far in the post-season. He doesn't need to be perfect, but he can't be making stupid decisions and he must be willing to throw the ball away when necessary instead of taking sacks.

Offensively, Grand Valley is pretty young, but they have still managed to put up good numbers, particularly running the ball. Obviously, they have more than proven themselves in the post-season, but I think you have to take some of the offensive statisitics with a grain of salt considering that other than themselves and Saginaw Valley, the GLIAC was not a very strong league this year. That's probably part of the reason you saw GVSU and SVSU hanging 50 points on so many conference opponents.

In any event, I think the Sioux need to be able to stop the run first and foremost. Both the running back, Michael Tennessee and the quarterback, Cullen Finnerty, have been very effective running the ball. It doesn't sound like their offensive line is huge, however, and UND has generally done a very nice job of stopping the run this year, aside from a couple of games. If the Sioux can stop the run, I would like our chances of keeping the game pretty low-scoring. Finnerty is no Anes, and there's definitely no Kircus this year so the passing game isn't as explosive as its been.

I would look for a low-scoring game decided by seven points or less. If UND has an advantage, it might be that we have been in so many close games this year and have generally always found a way to win. Grand Valley St. has really only been in about three games that have been very close. Who knows whether that really makes any difference or not but it may. It should be a great game.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GVSU:

09/06/2003 UC Davis Davis, Calif. W, 9-6

09/13/2003 Ferris St Allendale, Mich. W, 40-10

09/20/2003 Wayne State Allendale, Mich. W, 50-14

09/27/2003 Hillsdale Hillsdale, Mich. W, 37-24

10/04/2003 Michigan Tech Allendale, Mich. W, 48-17

10/11/2003 Northern Michigan Marquette, Mich. W, 50-20

10/18/2003 Saginaw Valley State Allendale, Mich. L, 34-20

10/25/2003 Northwood Midland, Mich. W, 33-14

11/01/2003 Mercyhurst Allendale, Mich. W, 51-6

11/08/2003 Indianapolis Indianapolis, Ind. W, 53-10

11/15/2003 Findlay Findlay, Ohio W, 44-0

11/22/2003 Bentley College/NCAA First Round Waltham, Mass. W, 65-36

11/29/2003 Saginaw Valley State/NCAA Second Round University Center, Mich. W, 10-3

12/06/2003 Texas A&M-Kingsville/NCAA Semifinals Kingsville, Tex. W, 31-3

UND:

Sep 6 MINNESOTA-CROOKSTON Potato Bowl W, 59-0

Sep 13 at Mesa State Grand Junction, Colo. L, 24-31 (OT)

Sep 20 NEWBERRY (PARENTS DAY) W, 42-23

Sep 27 AUGUSTANA * (HOMECOMING AND HALL OF FAME) W, 13-3

Oct 4 ST. CLOUD STATE * (NCAA TAKE A KID TO THE GAME DAY) W, 29-28

Oct 11 at South Dakota State * Brookings, S.D. W, 25-24

Oct 18 NORTH DAKOTA STATE * W, 28-21 (OT)

Oct 25 at MSU, Mankato * Mankato, Minn. W, 41-25

Nov 1 NEBRASKA-OMAHA * (SENIOR DAY AND MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY) W, 38-35

Nov 8 at South Dakota * Vermillion, S.D. W, 37-3

Nov 22 PITTSBURG STATE (FIRST ROUND- NCAA DIV. II PLAYOFFS) Grand Forks, N.D. W, 24-14

Nov 29 WINONA STATE (NCAA DIV. II QUARTERFINALS) Grand Forks, N.D. W, 36-29

Dec 6 NORTH ALABAMA (NCAA DII SEMIFINALS) Grand Forks, N.D. W, 29-22

IMO, in the play-offs, GVSU as beat better people by more. I have to give it to them.

Score:

GVSU 17

UND 14

Yeah, we all know what happens when you look at past performances to determine future results...there is nothing more meaningless than looking at final scores to determine relative strength...North Alabama looked like a scoring machine on paper...

Both teams have the talent to win...who brings the intensity it takes to play error-free football on game day is what matters.

I dont see the sioux having a problem against the Lakers. Everytime I post , people say dont get ahead of yourself, and blah blah blah. There is a thin line between cocky and just a knowledgeable confidence. I think the sioux can hold Grand Valley State to under 7 points. There passing game rivals that of a juniour high team,and there run game is pretty basic. WEre too deep in the season to take them for granted, but I think we burry them early. What a way to end the season, with a decisive victory over the defending national champs. I guess were still lucky

I think it will be a classic championship game decided in the fourth quarter. A lot depends on Lueck being able to play, but the Sioux should have a great game plan put together to stop the run, and keep the GVSU offense off of the field. Can't wait until Saturday!!! ???

They are predicting rain now during most of the game.  So what does that do for the predictions?

A wet field probably negates speed to a large extent, and may put more of a premium on power. It may also make field goals an adventure for both teams, although both kickers are very capable. I do like the power of the UND offensive line and front seven on defense, so a power game may bode pretty well for the Sioux. Obviously, turnovers are also more likely with a wet and slippery football so untimely fumbles and/or int's could play a big role, also. I still think a low-scoring game is likely, with turnovers probably being the deciding factor either way.

I'm saying, truthfully now, that UND will winn 31 - 28.

These are both great offenses and so they will shine even if the sun does not on Saturday.

I also predict that UND will have is when they win it on a Glas field goal. I think GVSU knows that the only way they are going to win is to hit hard and hit early.

I talked to an offensive lineman for the Sioux this morning and he seemed very eager to play and optimistic for the win. I couldn't get him to elaborate his thoughts on GVSU though. ???

I wish him and the entire team luck. If the team consists of as good of guys as that lineman is, we have a classy team.

I dont see the sioux having a problem against the Lakers. Everytime I post , people say dont get ahead of yourself, and blah blah blah. There is a thin line between cocky and just a knowledgeable confidence. I think the sioux can hold Grand Valley State to under 7 points. There passing game rivals that of a juniour high team,and there run game is pretty basic. WEre too deep in the season to take them for granted, but I think we burry them early. What a way to end the season, with a decisive victory over the defending national champs. I guess were still lucky

IF you hold us to under seven, we WILLhold you to 0!! ;)

booty - I agree that holding you under 7 points is extremely unlikely - especially when we have averaged giving up 20+ per game. I think our defense is much better than the statistics show but holding you to a touchdown or less probably won't happen!

I hope I'm wrong!

Its almost impossible to predict scores for D2 football games. Look at how bad the supposed experts are. All that I have for comparison is how this year's GV team stacks up to last years. I dont think that this years team is anywhere near the 2002 version, but so far it hasnt seemed to matter. Coming into the season I think a lot of GV fans were expecting 8-3 or 9-2 and MAYBE a playoff spot, but we had no idea this young team would do so well. All I know is that GV's offense can roll no matter who is in there (as demonstrated this year by all the starting freshman) and their defense has been dominating. I have no idea how good UND is, and that is why we play the game. I think if GV plays like they did against Kingsville they will be fine. But there is always that possibility of not showing up like they did against Saginaw in the first game. That sometimes happens with a young and inexperienced team. Should be a great game between two great defenses though.