SiouxSports.com Forum

New Jerseys

sioux24/7

Which usually involves you putting down something that other people like. Ask the majority of current football players which they would prefer, the baggy jerseys of the 70's or the current tight jerseys and almost every single one of them will tell you the current model, especially anyone that has to run with the ball. Which should UND take into account when designing the new jerseys, the opinion of someone who will never play another snap, or the current and potential players in their program?

He has yet to show any concern about what the current players think, so why would he change his tune?

He has yet to show any concern about what the current players think, so why would he change his tune?

Just ask the players what they think about the nickname issue. I am sure it differs than Dave's opinion.

This might be the most ridiculous argument I have seen in some time. And I, have been the instigator of many ridiculous arguments ( see about half the threads I have posted in.)

DaveK, I understand where you are coming from in that I think the tight ones look weird. But that is what the style is nowadays. Tough luck chuck.

Everyone else, Dave won't change his mind. he is very opinionated and sticks to his guns. No point trying to argue about who is right about which ones look cooler. it is entirely subjective.

Maybe instead of arguing about it, you can figure out if the helmet will still be a different color of green than the jersey ;)

Oh! And while I am at it, I will say I think All-Black Uni's look ridiculous unless Black is one of two primary colors (see Texas Tech.)

This might be the most ridiculous argument I have seen in some time. And I, have been the instigator of many ridiculous arguments ( see about half the threads I have posted in.)

DaveK, I understand where you are coming from in that I think the tight ones look weird. But that is what the style is nowadays. Tough luck chuck.

Everyone else, Dave won't change his mind. he is very opinionated and sticks to his guns. No point trying to argue about who is right about which ones look cooler. it is entirely subjective.

Maybe instead of arguing about it, you can figure out if the helmet will still be a different color of green than the jersey ;)

Oh! And while I am at it, I will say I think All-Black Uni's look ridiculous unless Black is one of two primary colors (see Texas Tech.)

LakesDave doesn't have the ability to change his mind. And that would be fine. But he has to continually repeat himself and that highjacks threads. It becomes what he wants versus what everyone else likes (because it is rare that anyone else agrees with him). The fact is, we don't care what he wants.

I suppose you would rather have bright "scream yellow" jerseys instead.

• Upvote 1

I suppose you would rather have bright "scream yellow" jerseys instead.

Wasn't a big fan of them. Better than all-black. At least it used a color that has always been a big part of NDSU's color scheme. Black has no place in NDSU's scheme. UND could pull it off better than NDSU considering UND wears black pants sometimes...I just don't really dig the all-black look.

What we have here is a clique of like-minded fans who are intolerant of anybody with values or priorities different than their own. If your opinion isn't a carbon copy of the masses here you are discriminated against, which would be fine if the guilty parties could at least admit that's what they do.

</ sad violin music>

DaveK: Did you ever think that the jerseys are not baggy like they were in previous decades due to functionality? aka: tight fitting=can't grab on to tackle, aerodynamics, etc.

But it doesn't look right to Dave and that's what's important. It's all about what Dave likes.

Wasn't a big fan of them. Better than all-black. At least it used a color that has always been a big part of NDSU's color scheme. Black has no place in NDSU's scheme. UND could pull it off better than NDSU considering UND wears black pants sometimes...I just don't really dig the all-black look.

The black jerseys look fine for basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball and hockey....SO I think that they would work for football. Black is one of our colors. Not primary, but still one of the colors.

• Upvote 1

Fixed it. :)

You should probably go get yourself checked out if thats what color your pee is haha.

The black jerseys look fine for basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball and hockey....SO I think that they would work for football. Black is one of our colors. Not primary, but still one of the colors.

I just don't see it. But it is a trend and if thats what you like, then go for it. I find black uniforms to be really boring.

You should probably go get yourself checked out if thats what color your pee is haha.

I just don't see it. But it is a trend and if thats what you like, then go for it. I find black uniforms to be really boring.

I would much rather have black jerseys than those awful mustard colored ones the Bison have, those are hideous!! :)

I would much rather have black jerseys than those awful mustard colored ones the Bison have, those are hideous!! :)

They are pretty ugly, but at least a primary color. Seems like most NDSU people like them. Black is just a new bandwagon alternate thing going on.

Were they not functional in previous decades?

Were the computers functional in 1995? They worked well for what they did and were better than having a typewriter. Would you consider them as functional as the computers of today? Not even close. Same type premise.
  • Upvote 2

Were they not functional in previous decades?

Functional? Yes.

However, the new, tighter cut jerseys are both functional and more efficient.

What's efficient mean for a jersey?

For the backs and receivers it's less to be grabbed by. For the defensive linemen, it's less to be grabbed and held by.

So, what's your point here... screw the defense, give the offense all the advantages? ???

Speaking for myself, I liked it better when it was easier for the defense to grab a handful of jersey as the player went through the line. I think it simply comes down to a matter of personal preference. Some people like rock music, some like rap, some like baggy jerseys, some like tight jerseys. You tight jersey fans are entitled to your taste, but don't try to tell me I'm wrong to have different taste. It's a very subjective topic, there is no clear cut right or wrong answer.

Well the defense get an advantage from smaller jerseys becasue when they are baggy, the offensive lineman can and do grab a handful of jersey while blocking and it is tough to detect. It isn't a matter of opinion. It is a matter of functionality.

Also, you are bad an analogies.

Well the defense get an advantage from smaller jerseys becasue when they are baggy, the offensive lineman can and do grab a handful of jersey while blocking and it is tough to detect. It isn't a matter of opinion. It is a matter of functionality.

Also, you are bad an analogies.

The only thing that matters is what Dave likes and wants. He likes baggy and nothing else will do. It doesn't do any good to explain reasons to him.

Okay, so offensive linemen can grab the defensive players by the jersey to make a block and defensive players can grab the ball carrier by the jersey to make a tackle. That means it works out evenly for both sides. I'm still waiting for somebody to give a valid reason why I should buy this absurd theory that tight jerseys are more functional. The fact of the matter is that neither style of jersey is more functional than the other, it is merely a matter of personal preference.

If UND's offense has tight jerseys, then the opposing defense has a more difficult time grabbing/tackling the UND player. If UND's defense has tight jerseys, then the opposing offensive blockers have a more difficulty time grabbing/holding the UND player. UND doesn't play against itself, so it doesn't work out evenly for both sides. These are obvious valid reasons that tight jerseys are more functional. It's not rocket science.

Okay, so offensive linemen can grab the defensive players by the jersey to make a block and defensive players can grab the ball carrier by the jersey to make a tackle. That means it works out evenly for both sides. I'm still waiting for somebody to give a valid reason why I should buy this absurd theory that tight jerseys are more functional. The fact of the matter is that neither style of jersey is more functional than the other, it is merely a matter of personal preference.

It's not necessarily about loose or tight fit, it's about the evolution of the jersey. The newest jerseys which came out a couple years ago were more of a sculpted fit and weighed 30% less than the jerseys mostly used at that time, which probably already weighed a lot less than the jerseys of say the 70's or 80's. The new material also has much better ventilation, and because it was a tight fit as mentioned before it made it harder for the defense to latch onto. When you're talking about 300 pound guys running around in the heat for 3 hours, less weight and better ventilation is a huge deal.

So much like the newer streamlined body suits that swimmers have, it's all about being lighter and faster, and in the case of football keeping cooler.

EDIT: I just looked it up, it's called TECHFIT compression football jersey, although there may be more companies marketing similar products by now.

It's not necessarily about loose or tight fit, it's about the evolution of the jersey. The newest jerseys which came out a couple years ago were more of a sculpted fit and weighed 30% less than the jerseys mostly used at that time, which probably already weighed a lot less than the jerseys of say the 70's or 80's. The new material also has much better ventilation, and because it was a tight fit as mentioned before it made it harder for the defense to latch onto. When you're talking about 300 pound guys running around in the heat for 3 hours, less weight and better ventilation is a huge deal.

So much like the newer streamlined body suits that swimmers have, it's all about being lighter and faster, and in the case of football keeping cooler.

EDIT: I just looked it up, it's called TECHFIT compression football jersey, although there may be more companies marketing similar products by now.

Yea but they're not baggy. That's a problem. Dick Butkus liked em baggy so yer wrong.