SiouxSports.com Forum

If you were the Coach

SIOUXELEVENS

Why is everyone panicking? Do you remember the last time the Sioux got swept from the goofs? 1996-1997!

Look in the ceiling at the Ralph to see how that year went!

Its the first week of Nov, they have played three conference teams, two on the road, what do you expect?

Let these teams get going and play the teams who the Sioux have played already than lets evaluate!

December is always beautiful for the boys!

Yes they lost, but if your not excited about Dell looking like Dell, and Grimaldi looking to be the sh*t!

I hate the lose more because of who it was, not the lose itself! Things will be fine, GO SIOUX!!!!

I think a lot has to do with Grimaldi getting healthier. As soon as that happens you can equalize the lines a bit. Then you can have Knight, Nelson, Lamoureax, and Grimaldi center lines. That way you can play four lines, and not have a gassed team at the end of the game.

My perfect line combos for the meantime would be:

McMillan-Knight-Kristo

Rowney-Grimaldi-Rodwell

Parks-Nelson-Gleason

Dickin-Lamoureax-(throw in name of 12th forward who can get the ##### puck out of his own end)

And when he gets healthier you put O'Donnell with McMillan and have Knight center those two or Nelson.

My observations are similar to most slow Sioux starts...panicking dmen. A good dman has to be able to transition the puck quickly and decisively tape to tape. A pass should be made to the player best positioned to do something once they receive the pass, not a pass made to anyone, anyone, open, please, I'm under pressure. If the breakout is not available, a dman needs to be able to outskate the forechecker, not panick and dump it up or chip it.

On the same note, our wingers need to make good targets and be prepared to receive an imperfect pass.

If I'm coach, I work the forwards hard on the boards and corners forechecking our d. Make our d respond at game speed in practice.

• Upvote 1

Number one they need to get healthy. It is obvious how badly this team needs Grimaldi healthy. Hopefully this weekend off helps and they get O'Donnell back. I think I split Knight and Kristo up and try Kristo with Nelson whom he played with quite a bit last year. Another thing and I know its tough to do with all the forward injuries and such little depth but I want to see Gleason back on D. I think he has a chance to create more offense from there than at forward. I may try something like this.

Grimaldi-Knight-MacMillian

Rodwell-Nelson-Kristo

Lammy-Rowney-Dicken

Parks-O'Donnell-????

Forbort-Blood

Mac-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

I hate to say it but I just don't like any option for that last guy on the fourth line. It might have to be Gleason. Maybe suit 7 D and spot the fourth line but have Gleason take a regular shift at D?

Time Machine, baby.

Go back and tell Cichy and Bruno that not all of those freshman forwards will make it onto the roster, and as a result they will be fixtures in the lineup all year long.

The roster is a disaster this year, from a depth standpoint. Cichy, Bruno, Miller and St. Clair. A couple of them would have helped quite a bit. Add in the early injuries to Grimaldi and O'Donnell and you see where they are. I'm not sure the coaches could have done much.

Thank goodness for Dell and Blood. Their presence in the lineup is crucial.

• Upvote 1

If I were the coach ...

- I'd get Grimaldi and O'Donnell healthy ASAP. Actually, look at the record and O'Donnell is a better success indicator when in the line-up than Grimaldi. This team is offensively-challenged right now and needs all hands on deck.

- I'd have a chat with Rodwell. I'd tell him he's the shooter on that Lammy (getter) - Rowney (creater) - Rodwell (shooter) line and that he made a mistake in passing to Lammy on the 2-on-1 break over the weekend. Take a smart shot and Lammy will clean up the grease.

- I'd have a chat with Pattyn and remind him that the safest place for the puck to be in your zone is on your stick behind your net. He made a freshman mistake leading Minnesota's goal to tie.

- I'd have a chat with the entire defense. I'd let them know expectations of them are really high but that sometimes the best way to meet those expectations is to simplify what they're doing.

- I'd also let MacWilliam know that he needs to dial down the penalties.

- I'd tell the team that these are the months that end in "R". Those are the months that you learn and make some mistakes. Next come the months that end in "Y". Those are the months that you show what you've learned and make final adjustments. Then come the months that end in "H" and "L". That's where you apply what you've learned. Keep it R-Y-H-L.

Time Machine, baby.

Go back and tell Cichy and Bruno that not all of those freshman forwards will make it onto the roster, and as a result they will be fixtures in the lineup all year long.

The roster is a disaster this year, from a depth standpoint. Cichy, Bruno, Miller and St. Clair. A couple of them would have helped quite a bit. Add in the early injuries to Grimaldi and O'Donnell and you see where they are. I'm not sure the coaches could have done much.

Thank goodness for Dell and Blood. Their presence in the lineup is crucial.

If you're playing "ifs and buts" why not throw in the names Gregoire and Hextall too? :silly:

The lines will fluctuate through the first half of the year... Barring injuries, it’s very evident that these players will be in the lineup.

In no line combo order: Knight, Kristo, Macmillian, Nelson, Gramaldi, Rodwell, Rowney, Lammy, Parks, O’Donnell...I know that’s not officially four lines, but filling in the voids with other personnel is the real issue with lack of depth and walk-on material players. Like past Sioux teams that had more depth, “these current players” would hardly step foot on the ice giving any game night.

A quick note on Dickin - He’s been with the Sioux for a year now, you’d think he’d be more developed and have a leg up on the Freshman and other players fighting/trying to solidifying a spot in the lineup... But like most Freshman, he’s soft on the puck...(no offense to any Freshman, they’ll get stronger as the year progresses and more so during their time at UND). Getting back to my point, Dickin has such an opportunity and advantage in front of his face. It’s clear he has some work to do. His play thus far hasn’t been very impressive.Yes, I know the details about Dickin and what he’s skill set is and what he brings to the table and what kind of role he can play on the team. I’m just saying this kid needs to take advantage of the opportunity that presents itself. Bottom line, Improve. Keep working hard. Get stronger!

Joe Gleason needs to be D at all costs. I don't care if we need him at forward for his versatility. Our D corps will be much improved with him paired with Nick Mattson and those two will have instant chemistry. BTW, put Gleason on the power play for once too, to move the puck. The kid has speed, poise, and playmaking ability. Yes, Gleason doesn't have a rocket for a shot from the point and that's totally fine, he won't be used to shoot. He'll bring his poise and his smart playmaking ability to the power play and dish the puck off to Kristo, Mattson, Nelson, Roco, O’Donnel, Macmillian etc..(the players you know will eventually always be on the power play when the team is healthy and figures it out).

Finally, come spring semester, I don’t oppose to bringing in a player playing in some league god knows where for an extra body to add more depth to the team (It’s inevitable, it’s going to happen). That player is out there somewhere. I trust Hak and the coaching staff to find that “right player” and they will, they’ll find him...

If you're playing "ifs and buts" why not throw in the names Gregoire and Hextall too? :silly:

To me, Gregoire and Hextall leaving was an ordinary event for UND. In fact, UND was lucky to have Gregoire for that year, and I think they're fortunate to have Kristo and Blood back this year.

By contrast, Miller and St. Clair failing to arrive for the reasons they did is pretty unusual for UND.

alot of things are going wrong for the sioux right now, but it is part of the learning curve, and it is exaggerated when you throw in all the extra factors that have been pointed out (young team, injuries to finishers, st. clair not being cleared, miller leaving at the 11th hour, shaky defense - especially backchecking help from our forwards). i have a feeling they will stay the course other than probably mixing up the lines. the only big thing i would say, that others have pointed out, it put gleason on d. we need a puck mover, and forbort and simpson are for what ever reason struggling. lets get things back on track before christmas and make a second half run!! go sioux!!

For the first time in a long time, the Gophs were more physical than UND. Beside having no scorers, they don't seem to have those ass-kicking forwards that beat you up all game.

Have to agree, that's the first time in a very long time that UND was less physical than Minnesota. If Dell plays like he did this past weekend you guys will win many games though. He was amazing, especially after his very weak start to the season.

Have to agree, that's the first time in a very long time that UND was less physical than Minnesota. If Dell plays like he did this past weekend you guys will win many games though. He was amazing, especially after his very weak start to the season.

I think part of the lack of physicality was undoubtedly all the penalties being called. Makes a guy gun-shy for sure.

I don't remember a lot of "I can't believe they called that" types of penalties this weekend.

I can think of three "I can't believe they called that" against the Sioux this past weekend and at two "I can't believe they didn't call that" on the Gophers. Of course, I don't know what it's like to be on the Gopher side looking at penalties and I don't think the reffing was terrible for WCHA ref standards.

If I were the coach ...

- I'd get Grimaldi and O'Donnell healthy ASAP. Actually, look at the record and O'Donnell is a better success indicator when in the line-up than Grimaldi. This team is offensively-challenged right now and needs all hands on deck.

- I'd have a chat with Rodwell. I'd tell him he's the shooter on that Lammy (getter) - Rowney (creater) - Rodwell (shooter) line and that he made a mistake in passing to Lammy on the 2-on-1 break over the weekend. Take a smart shot and Lammy will clean up the grease.

- I'd have a chat with Pattyn and remind him that the safest place for the puck to be in your zone is on your stick behind your net. He made a freshman mistake leading Minnesota's goal to tie.

- I'd have a chat with the entire defense. I'd let them know expectations of them are really high but that sometimes the best way to meet those expectations is to simplify what they're doing.

- I'd also let MacWilliam know that he needs to dial down the penalties.

- I'd tell the team that these are the months that end in "R". Those are the months that you learn and make some mistakes. Next come the months that end in "Y". Those are the months that you show what you've learned and make final adjustments. Then come the months that end in "H" and "L". That's where you apply what you've learned. Keep it R-Y-H-L.

Its a good thing none of us are the coaches, or this team would be in an even worse position. While its great to see many people offering their views, lets give the professional coaches a chance to do their jobs.

Its pretty obvious that penalties are not the Sioux's biggest problem. There have been very few undisciplined penalties, probably fewer than at this same time last season. The Sioux are going to have to play an even more physical, shut the door defence this season and that brings with it the risk of more penalties. To suggest Mac needs to "dial down the penalties" makes no sense given his style of play, as long as he isn't taking undisciplined penalties. He has 6 minor penalties so far - Blood has 5 and Knight has 7.

• Upvote 1

As a Gopher fan I'll say that penalties to me seemed to be called pretty good. Pretty even both sides. No plays that can be considered cheap either, and I think that's due to the tight officiating. But overall I had no problem with what was being called.