SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night in Madtown

Wilbur

Shots on goal 42-15 Sioux advantage. Score 5-4, UW advantage. Final.

4 goals on 42 shots is a solid offensive effort, especially in a league game on the road. Giving up 5 goals on 15 shots, on the other hand, is a poor defensive effort. Looks like the D-Zone coverage still needs some work; four goals should be enough to win most games.

• Upvote 1

We all know UND deserved AT least 2 points this weekend, but keep your heads up Sioux fans. You know Hak will get the team going by seasons end. Next weekend you play St. Cloud, and based on what I have heard about them UND should have a hay day with their swiss cheese defense

4 goals on 42 shots is a solid offensive effort, especially in a league game on the road. Giving up 5 goals on 15 shots, on the other hand, is a poor defensive effort. Looks like the D-Zone coverage still needs some work; four goals should be enough to win most games.

That is a really good point. Too many times tonight defenseman were standing around watching or at least they were on two goals. I think both times it was Forbort.

I'm still trying to find that something in this team that tells me they are going to be a good team- our d and goaltending suck which is ironic because that was supposed to be the backbone of this team, our offense is one line(mainly one person) and we spend way too much time in the box which results in key pp goals for the other team. everyone keeps saying it-but the results aren't there. I keep hearing "we're young, we're young" well denver was young last year and didn't suck. I know it's only october but we may be on the verge of starting to dig ourselves a hole in which we may not be able to get out of this year.

5 goals on 15 shots? Come on Dell...not good. Not a good weekend for goaltending or defenseman to say the least. I am wondering if Dell was resting on his laurels from last year a bit. Reporting to camp at 219 pounds seems a bit heavy for a goalie of that height. Just real frustrating as i think they said last night that is the last games at the Kohl Center as a member of the WCHA and we get swept like that....not good. I was hoping Rodwell would step up this year but he has been MIA so far all year.

Just back from the game. Disappointing to lose a game when you outshoot the bad guys so badly, but a lot of those shots were long range or perimeter. A bunch of loose rebounds we couldn't put in. Most of their goals were right in front of me, and the several of them were like shooting fish in a barrel--not Dell's fault, though he'll have to be able to steal a few with the glove, which neither he nor Eidsness did this weekend. People keep criticizing the defense, but the forwards aren't playing defense like they should yet.

Actually, I like the potential in this team. They hustled tonight and controlled the puck in the ozone very well. They also transitioned pretty well. They aren't afraid of the boards. Kristo is really intense this year, and it shows. After the horn he slammed his stick on the ice in disgust, and you have to like that kind of desire. Mattson, Parks and MacM have a lot of promise. The first goal was a great effort by Gleason. Get a few forwards healthy, gain some experience, and they have a pretty good upside. They need to learn to cover bodies in the slot--that much is obvious. Forbort was better tonight, but gave one up. Knight took a stupid penalty with time expired at the end of the second that cost them 2 min of powerplay to start the third. They need someone to take Trupp's place on the forecheck, although Kristo was working it pretty hard.

Sioux fan kicked arse in the intermission shootout.

Well, that was a tough one to stomach but not a bad game to watch.

Didn't have to rely on the train tonight and ended up sitting in good seats.

My Saturday impressions:

Consistency is a paramount issue with this team, too many roller coaster swings of aggression and daze.

Wisconsin will be living and dying by their goaltending this year, very poor team play in the ozone, too timid.

Reffing was terrible and I mean embarrassing aweful and both ways, icings that weren't icings missed offsides, the badgers first goal came on a chance after a sioux was tripped with the puck behind badger net, no call, badger fans around me even chuckled.

Sioux can not take penalties.

Defensive intensity was lackluster around the net, very good around the boards, in transition and at the blue line. But in front it was uninspired, Wisconsin had many chances where they had a winger sneak backside of the d man and if a better team had those opportunities they would have buried many many more.

#4 had a terrible first period.

Don't know why but lammy kept falling down and mean alot and in open ice, don't know what was up with that.

kristo was really head and shoulders the best player on the ice again, he looks like he's at another level puck handling .

I don't know that this team deserved to wear the black yet.

Goaltending is in big trouble, dell had a hot mess in front of him on most every goal and he was betrayed by poor defense but, he's better than a 5 goal on 14 shot performance and either he or eidsness need to step it up.

Rumpel has got a good future in front of him

Sure it's early in the season and sure they're young, and sure they lost a lot in seniors, early departures, injuries and such..........

However this is still a better team than what they are showing, Hak has got to find a way to get that out of them......and I think he will.

These points in the wcha and pairwise are gonna be sorely missed come February and march,