SiouxSports.com Forum

Ice Breaker Tourney

AZSIOUX

I agree with both statements, I was just making an observation. During Hak's tenure it has been normal for us to struggle against Hockey East teams (a.k.a. BC), and it is baffling that such a good coaching staff doesn't learn from past experiences no matter what kind of team we have on the ice.

And why hasn't he figured it out yet. Last night they seemed to have it figured out in the first period as they were all finishing their checks and slowing down the quicker BC forwards. Then boom the 2nd period starts and they are watching the game instead of playing it and doing the total opposite as they were doing in the first. I don't get it and I'm sick and tired of the Sioux getting schooled by BC. Maine is a damn good team and yes from the east so if the Sioux get swept like they did last year to them then I can really start hearing the chants for a new head coach.

this notion of hak getting outcoached last night again because we lost again to BC is funny. 30 minutes into last nights game it was a 2-2 game and a very young sioux team held their own against BC-if not fot a few lapses during a key 4 minute stretch there might have been a different outcome.

Like Brian Idalski said the other day, "no one has won a National Championship in October."

Also, I think it's funny that we have people calling for Dave Hakstol's head one week into the season.

I'm not seeing calls for Hak's head

I am seeing people correctly point out that he doesn't seem to have the ability to get his teams ready for BC or other hockey east teams for that matter. He couldn't do it with Toews, Oshie, and Duncan, and he can't do it now. He's had how many years to figure this out.

You know darn well that a job expectation of a Sioux hockey coach is to win some championships. When we get tagged like this at home by the team we usually need to beat to win one, people get frustrated. I didn't hear a peep from our big, mean veteran defense men this tournament. This game can't be viewed in isolation, but a continuation of something that is very frustrating. I know we have all season to get things figured out. Just give us a sign that we can. This weekend would be a place to start.

• Upvote 2

this notion of hak getting outcoached last night again because we lost again to BC is funny. 30 minutes into last nights game it was a 2-2 game and a very young sioux team held their own against BC-if not fot a few lapses during a key 4 minute stretch there might have been a different outcome.

Really? You're going with that? It was a close game except for those 4 quick goals we gave up?

Some of the comments on here are RIDICULOUS. I realize everyone is tired of losing to BC. I am too. But I'm not going to put too much stake in GAME 2. It's not a sprint. I know BC fans want to go on and on about how they have a young team, but that's BS. There's a difference between losing key players and having a young team. BC lost key players. WE lost key players AND have a young team. They had 3 freshmen in the lineup last night. We had like... 7 or 8. BC is a good team and I don't have a problem losing to a good team. I have a problem with the way we did. I agree with what everyone said about certain players and their terrible defense all weekend. It's time to get to work and fix these things. And we will. So to those fans ready to give up on this team in GAME 2, then leave. The boys deserve better than to have fans that so easily give up the faith. This team has not even come close to hitting their stride. It's 2011. Last year's team is just a memory now. We were spoiled last year with that team. But I'm keeping the faith.

• Upvote 2

Some of the comments on here are RIDICULOUS. I realize everyone is tired of losing to BC. I am too. But I'm not going to put too much stake in GAME 2. It's not a sprint. I know BC fans want to go on and on about how they have a young team, but that's BS. There's a difference between losing key players and having a young team. BC lost key players. WE lost key players AND have a young team. They had 3 freshmen in the lineup last night. We had like... 7 or 8. BC is a good team and I don't have a problem losing to a good team. I have a problem with the way we did. I agree with what everyone said about certain players and their terrible defense all weekend. It's time to get to work and fix these things. And we will. So to those fans ready to give up on this team in GAME 2, then leave. The boys deserve better than to have fans that so easily give up the faith. This team has not even come close to hitting their stride. It's 2011. Last year's team is just a memory now. We were spoiled last year with that team. But I'm keeping the faith.

I don't think anyone has lost faith it just gets old losing to the same team for a decade now. Young team,veteran team, it hasn't mattered the last 10 years. And it's not like they have been close either. They have gotten beat pretty handily. It's time for a change in those results.
  • Upvote 2

I don't think anyone has lost faith it just gets old losing to the same team for a decade now. Young team,veteran team, it hasn't mattered the last 10 years. And it's not like they have been close either. They have gotten beat pretty handily. It's time for a change in those results.

Precisely this. It doesn't matter whether we have a seasoned or young team, we still get embarrassed by Boston College.

Hak is an extremely good coach. He develops players well, inspires their loyalty, and gets them to buy into his system His teams don't collapse like UMinn does, despite its talent. But it is pretty evident that he is not the game coach that Jerry York is. Not many are. He's been around a while and learned a few things.

Hak is an extremely good coach. He develops players well, inspires their loyalty, and gets them to buy into his system His teams don't collapse like UMinn does, despite its talent. But it is pretty evident that he is not the game coach that Jerry York is. Not many are. He's been around a while and learned a few things.

Well said. Hak has his teams ready to handle the rigors of the WCHA. He just hasn't figured out to match up with the likes of BC. Will see this coming weekend as Maine comes to town if any adjustments are made.

Well said. Hak has his teams ready to handle the rigors of the WCHA. He just hasn't figured out to match up with the likes of BC. Will see this coming weekend as Maine comes to town if any adjustments are made.

How long do you figure it will take him? - I'm not trying to be cute - It's just that we're kind of stuck until that happens

I heard some sand bagging this past weekend how this B.C. team isn't all that good, I think that is a crock, Chris Kreider would be playing in the NHL right now if he wanted to.

Good point, Jerry York is 66 years old and has a record of 882–547–93 he is has been coaching for a very long time, I would probably call him the God Father of college hockey. Dave Hakstol is 43 years old (23 years younger than York) and has a record of 187-92-27.

Hak is an awesome coach, and like an above poster said, he gets kids to come in, work their butts off, and commit to a program with 100% loyalty...Sioux hockey at its finest.

The one thing that I am starting to doubt is the system that is employed on offense. Dumping, chasing, cycling, cycling, cycling, cycling, turnover is a bit frustrating. Some years, the personal might dictate a game like that. However, when you have very skilled teams like last year, I'd prefer a very aggressive offensive approach with a bunch of guys crashing the net hard...a lot like what BC does when they turn it on. We can still play physical, but why take away the skill of your best forwards by pushing them along the boards and making them fight puck battles constantly.

Yes, I know we've had one of the highest scoring programs over the last 5-6 years on an annual basis, but I think it could have been even better with a more aggressive approach on offense. It's tough to see all three forwards along the boards, half the time trying to just keep control of the puck.

I do not want Hak going anywhere, but I'd like to see something new from an offensive standpoint. I know our defense cost us more than anything yesterday, but I'm looking at a general concern over the last number of years where we struggle to get things going offensively at times.

Really? You're going with that? It was a close game except for those 4 quick goals we gave up?

I will and is it hak's fault the players on the ice at those moments had mental breakdowns? how about laying some of the responisibility of this loss on the players who decided to just stop moving their feet?

I will and is it hak's fault the players on the ice at those moments had mental breakdowns? how about laying some of the responisibility of this loss on the players who decided to just stop moving their feet?

I agree that ultimately it is the players responsibility for how they played. I'm just frustrated that we can't ever seem to figure out BC. Every year it's the exact same game.

However, referring to it as a close game other than when they scored a bunch sounds a little like "other than that, how did you like the play, Mtrs. Lincoln?"

I agree that ultimately it is the players responsibility for how they played. I'm just frustrated that we can't ever seem to figure out BC. Every year it's the exact same game.

However, referring to it as a close game other than when they scored a bunch sounds a little like "other than that, how did you like the play, Mtrs. Lincoln?"

Or you could cue the Muss..."We went toe to toe with 'em." ;)

I have said the same thing for the past 10 years when we play BC. Why are they always so much faster than UND? It wasn't by a huge amount on Saturday but on that flurry of goals their guys were spinning our guys in the ground with moves, etc. Pretty much every time they play UND they win with speed.

I think you can find a lot of examples of teams that have other teams number. Would any of you suggest Dean Blais can't figure things out. His Omaha team couldn't beat an inferior Bemidji State team in 6 games last year with 4 of them in Omaha. You would think it would be easier to make adjustment to playing a team within the same year and with the same players than it would be to make adjustments to different personnel, even though the system is the same. Would anybody say Lucia is a lot better coach than Red Berenson, simply because more times than not, Minnesota has had their number. I think you can look at how much difficulty the Sioux used to have with Mankato under Blais as an example of certain teams just matching up better, or worse in our case. Not saying that gives Hakstol a complete pass, but at least Boston College has been the top program in the country over the past decade. I know the Sioux want to be considered that, but in one-game shots, you can't have one off night from the goalie on out.

• Upvote 2

I have said the same thing for the past 10 years when we play BC. Why are they always so much faster than UND? It wasn't by a huge amount on Saturday but on that flurry of goals their guys were spinning our guys in the ground with moves, etc. Pretty much every time they play UND they win with speed.

I'm not knowledgable about most hockey stuff but isn't Hockey East built around speed and precision while WCHA has traditionally been built to intimidate and be more physical? If so, doesn't that mean your going to sacrifice speed for physicality?

I'm not knowledgable about most hockey stuff but isn't Hockey East built around speed and precision while WCHA has traditionally been built to intimidate and be more physical? If so, doesn't that mean your going to sacrifice speed for physicality?

IMO, the Sioux were more intimidating under Blais when it seemed like every forward in the line up could fly up and down the ice. Even a player like Spiewak who I dont believe was even a top six forward could just kill a team with speed. In fact the Sioux under Blais remind me a lot of what BC looks like today.