SiouxSports.com Forum

VB: North Dakota v. NDSU

bincitysioux

Last year when the volleyball team played in Fargo there was a lot of excitement for the game. People were wondering why NDSU didn't play the game at the BSA which holds more people. NDSU said that they will always play their games at the Benson Fieldhouse because it is their home for volleyball. Benson Fieldhouse will not hold 2400. Now that UND holds the attendance record I will be willing to guess that NDSU in the future will all of a sudden be willing to move the the Bison/Sioux game to a venue which holds more people so they can recapture the attendance record for the state. Of course that is if NDSU is wiling to play UND. NDSU might not want to play us anymore. I am sure in hindsight they are wishing they hadn't played us last night.

This match was UND's "match of the year". Even Hardee said after the match that they have been waiting a year for this match. It meant MUCH more to UND than it did to NDSU. It was horrible scheduling on NDSU's part to play this match right before a weekend series at home against a top 20 team. UND has nothing to play for except the NDSU game and the reaction of the Sioux players abnd coaches afterward showed it. It looked like they had just won the Super Bowl. They have no NCAA tournament to play for. If you asked UND players and Coach Hardee what their biggest match of the season would be this year, they would have said to a man NDSU. The same could not be said about the importance of the match to NDSU. NDSU would tell you the Summit League and the conference tournament is by far more important than the UND match.

This match was UND's "match of the year". Even Hardee said after the match that they have been waiting a year for this match. It meant MUCH more to UND than it did to NDSU. It was horrible scheduling on NDSU's part to play this match right before a weekend series at home against a top 20 team. UND has nothing to play for except the NDSU game and the reaction of the Sioux players abnd coaches afterward showed it. It looked like they had just won the Super Bowl. They have no NCAA tournament to play for. If you asked UND players and Coach Hardee what their biggest match of the season would be this year, they would have said to a man NDSU. The same could not be said about the importance of the match to NDSU. NDSU would tell you the Summit League and the conference tournament is by far more important than the UND match.

If the Bison players and coaches overlooked UND and didn't realize this was a big game for them too they are dumber than I thought they were. I can't believe they didn't realize the impact on recruiting now that they can't claim superiority over UND.

I think they did realize this and just got beat on that night. You can spin it anyway you want to but it is just that, spin.

If the Bison players and coaches overlooked UND and didn't realize this was a big game for them too they are dumber than I thought they were. I can't believe they didn't realize the impact on recruiting now that they can't claim superiority over UND.

I think they did realize this and just got beat on that night. You can spin it anyway you want to but it is just that, spin.

Hardee himself has said the rivalry game is huge for regional recruiting.

In the volleyball world, a crowd of 2400 makes other volleyball coaches nervous about the recruiting implications, as not many programs have that type support.

On the coaches program tonight, Hardee said that this area's recruiting has the talent to consistently deliver a top-25 program to UND. The Betty is practically a perfect facility to attract top level talent. He also said, in a self-deprecating way, that perhaps coaching is what would prevent a top-25 program from happening.

Hardee also mentioned that he thinks UND is a top-50 level program now, and top-25 is possible this year.

Regarding this weekend, Santa Clara has been a Final Four program during the past decade (missed the last two NCAAs but had a string of like 10 appearances before that). Also described UC-Santa Barbara as a top-50 program and has eight appearances in the last ten NCAA's (6-8 NCAA record).

Is this supposed to be a negative comment toward North Dakota? What do you expect? As you pointed out, we have no playoff aspirations. This was a chance to beat what is apparently considered a high quality mid-major volleyball team, on our home court, that happens to be our biggest rival..............Of course it is probably our biggest match of the year.

To say that this game was of little importance to NDSU is kind of silly as well. NDSU, the past couple seasons at least, was arguably good enough to receive an at-large berth to the NCAA tournament. North Dakota is a quality program that will probably finish the season with a respectable RPI, and is a counter. If NDSU doesn't get the Summit autobid, a win against North Dakota on the road could have been a nice little feather in the hat come selection time..............................

On the other hand, perhaps I am overestimating the quality of the 2011 NDSU volleyball team.............................

UND clearly beat NDSU, the Sioux deserved the win and totally out played the Bison. To speculate on whether or not the Bison would win the match later in the season or to specultate whether or not the Bison would win 7 out of 10 times (pick your number) is nothing more than mental masturbation on the part of a few Bison fans. All of that pontification make NO difference. The match was played on Tuesday, the Bison lost, Bison fans should congratulate an excellent Sioux VB team and move on. Those girls should be damn proud of what was likely the biggest win so far in UND VB. Next year they can aim at winning the Big Sky and a post season run. I guess I get frustrated at both sides when a few fans try to cheapen a well deserved win.

Dear NDSU fans: The loss to UND doesn't matter. Keep telling yourselves that ... until it's what keeps you from an at-large NCAA bid.

One more note: I thought UND put volleyball on the "fast track" for post-season eligibility. I thought UND was allowed to move one womens sport to play up in DI and become tournament eligible faster than the normal transition five years and UND did that for volleyball. Are we sure UND isn't volleyball post-season eligible right now? The Great West has no autobid to win, but I do believe UND could be selected at-large.

Thanks for the laugh this morning. I needed that. :lol::lol:

Dear NDSU fans: The loss to UND doesn't matter. Keep telling yourselves that ... until it's what keeps you from an at-large NCAA bid.

One more note: I thought UND put volleyball on the "fast track" for post-season eligibility. I thought UND was allowed to move one womens sport to play up in DI and become tournament eligible faster than the normal transition five years and UND did that for volleyball. Are we sure UND isn't volleyball post-season eligible right now? The Great West has no autobid to win, but I do believe UND could be selected at-large.

Could that have been used by the women's hockey team? Or are they exempt because women's hockey is only sponsored by d1?

Well nd1sufan, why don't you pick the home game that you think will be the biggest one of the year for you guys, and then let us know what the attendance is for that game?

If your team doesn't play each game with that much enthusiasm they will get beat by anybody. It was more than a rival game, it was to prove that we belong in DI with the others who jumped ship in 2004. We can compete and we can conquer. We are 1 we are North Dakota!!!!

Could that have been used by the women's hockey team? Or are they exempt because women's hockey is only sponsored by d1?

I believe that because there is no DII championship in WHockey they automatically play for the DI championship and that's why volleyball could become tourney eligible more quickly.

I am really curious about this now. Does anyone have an answer?

On the coaches show last night, Hardee talked about a post-season bid. At the time, thought he meant CIT-, NIT- type bid (which after checking doesn't seem to exist in volleyball). If UND submitted the paperwork a couple of years ago (before there was a moratorium) maybe UND volleyball is eligible. Don't recall any announcement.

USD moved up it's track and field teams up to DI during the transition. I think NDSU and SDSU moved up their volleyball and wrestling teams up.

A certain bison poster that used to lecture this board frequently share his "thoughts":

NDSU fan lambasting UND volleyball fan behavior

Strange how that poster doesn't even understand the humor in men's swimming team appearance. The women volleyball teams get a lot of fun poked at them on campus about their tight form fitting uniforms. One of the points that the men's swimming team wanted to make in a fun way is that their "uniform" is even more revealing at their events.

BTW, the Sioux women are babes!

A certain bison poster that used to lecture this board frequently share his "thoughts":

Strange how that poster doesn't even understand the humor in men's swimming team appearance. The women volleyball teams get a lot of fun poked at them on campus about their tight form fitting uniforms. One of the points that the men's swimming team wanted to make in a fun way is that their "uniform" is even more revealing at their events.

Man, I don't know if there are enough tissues in Fargo to mop up all the tears at that college. For a game their players didn't care about their fans are really taking the loss pretty hard. How many excuses can they come up with? I mean maybe, just maybe our team is better and you got beat.

P.S.- Like I said earlier, I hope none of their fans feelings got hurt too bad. :lol::lol: I love the fact that our students came out to support our team and had fun while doing it. As far as I'm concerned, keep it up.

Haha...apparantly its ok for NDSU students to go shirtless while only wearing shorts, sit at center court and constantly harass the officials/line judges on every call against their team. But it's not ok for the UND swim team to show a little excitement.

As an aside, I attend the match on Tuesday night as well as the match at NDSU last year. We happened to sit next to the Student section at the game in Fargo and if this guy thinks that UND has the only student fanbase that yells obnoxious or obscenity laced cheers towards other teams then he is sorely mistaken. I'm sure most of us have heard the "Sioux suck !#*$" chant more than we count. And there were others that were directed at our team last year as well. Btw, I thoroughly enjoyed both the matches the last two years. They were rivalry games and the atmosphere at both venues reflected it.

EDIT: Also, the only "in unison" chant that I was able to make out from the student section was "Sweatty" in reference to the Bison players constantly delaying the game to wipe the floor. There may have been others, but I didn't hear them or could make them out.

I'm telling you, after really reading Bisonville for the first time this past week, and hearing about the things mentioned in the past few posts, the NDSU Bison fans have a HUGE chip on their shoulders re: UND. They can deny it, and will.

I actually cheered for the Bison when they played football vs Minnesota, and wanted them to beat Kansas in basketball, due to state of ND pride. (I know I shouldn't have cheered for them due to recruiting battles, and won't from now on due to that fact)

I think it's great that the athletes support each other. Quite a few softball players were there along with a handful of basketball players. I know one game I went to last year almost the whole mens basketball team was there.

Was it used on swimming?

Also, a couple years ago both the NDSU student section and the Band both broke out in separate "Sioux Suck" chants during a basketball game. They were playing Oakland.

I was at a NDSU-Western Illinois game about a couple years ago and they still chanted Sioux suck. I just shook my head and was glad W. Illinois beat them.

I was at a NDSU-Western Illinois game about a couple years ago and they still chanted Sioux suck. I just shook my head and was glad W. Illinois beat them.

Roll the clock forward a year or two:

UND at NDSU in {sport here}. Hear the arena announcer read the standard NCAA mandated " ... racist, offensive, ... comments directed toward players, coaches, or athletes, ... grounds for removal ... " pre-game announcement. (We've all heard that at UND and NDSU events thousands of times and ignored it but it's there.)

But this time, when UND takes the court as the "{new moniker here}" the only "Sioux" that NDSU fans could possibly be referencing would be those peoples of the Great Dakota/Lakota/Nakota nations.

Hence, NDSU's favorite chant would not be about the opposing team but would strictly be about ... the D/L/Nakota people ... which fits exactly into " ... racist ... grounds for removal ... " and I'll demand that those folks, per the NCAA pre-game statement, be removed from the arena. And if they aren't I'll be sending a letter to the NCAA (with a whole host of national newspapers on cc:).

Roll the clock forward a year or two:

UND at NDSU in {sport here}. Hear the arena announcer read the standard NCAA mandated " ... racist, offensive, ... comments directed toward players, coaches, or athletes, ... grounds for removal ... " pre-game announcement. (We've all heard that at UND and NDSU events thousands of times and ignored it but it's there.)

But this time, when UND takes the court as the "{new moniker here}" the only "Sioux" that NDSU fans could possibly be referencing would be those peoples of the Great Dakota/Lakota/Nakota nations.

Hence, NDSU's favorite chant would not be about the opposing team but would strictly be about ... the D/L/Nakota people ... which fits exactly into " ... racist ... grounds for removal ... " and I'll demand that those folks, per the NCAA pre-game statement, be removed from the arena. And if they aren't I'll be sending a letter to the NCAA (with a whole host of national newspapers on cc:).

Gene Taylor would have a lot of explaining to do towards his fans and explain to the tribes themselves.