SiouxSports.com Forum

Drake

bincitysioux

So, what was the total attendance? I saw someone say it was empty, but I'd like a number. I really don't seen attendance picking up much until we join the Sky.

It definitely wasn't empty. I was at the game till half and I can tell you that there was more students at the game than I ever remember there being last year.

I think Mussman said it best at the end....pretty disappointing offensive effort.....dropped passes...penalties...you name it.

The defense is a bend but don't break unit, hopefully in the conference games they don't break.

I think the Sioux have found their QB. No real stupid decisions with the football, and knew at times when to throw the ball away and when to just eat it. Looks like the coaches decided to not throw the ball around too much unless they needed to.

Not sure why they took the Red Shirt off of Garman if they aren't going to use him more....I hope I'm wrong and he gets at least 10 touches a game in the future.

Solid game by UND, you get the feel they didn't want to show much of the playbook headed into the Idaho game

That's not the feel I get - this is the same lackluster package on both sides of the ball we have seen for several years. Not much imagination - seldom blitz, very few deep passes. We had some good play, but overall I was not impressed with the O line - against Drake we should have gotten a much better push. A win is a win, but I didn't see much to get excited about. Putting up 16 against a non-scholarship team is nothing to get excited about and we need some excitement in this program.

That's not the feel I get - this is the same lackluster package on both sides of the ball we have seen for several years. Not much imagination - seldom blitz, very few deep passes. We had some good play, but overall I was not impressed with the O line - against Drake we should have gotten a much better push. A win is a win, but I didn't see much to get excited about. Putting up 16 against a non-scholarship team is nothing to get excited about and we need some excitement in this program.

The Idaho game will be very telling.

I think the defense played decent enough. Still need to be more aggressive imo. I'm also beginning to become very frustrated with the offense Mussman wants to run. Its just so vanilla. And don't say its only the first game cause thats exactly how it was last year. UND needs to start being more aggressive. Your not gonna beat anyone in the Big Sky playing run and dump football. Spread the field vertically and open up the underneath stuff more and try to get that 8th man out of the box. And for god sake Mussman stop pulling your freshman's redshirts if all your gonna do is have them watch from the sidelines.

Offense....Too many penalties.

Defense.... Not enough blitzing.

Bradley had some good flashes and is a vast improvement from last year.

Both Sutton and Miller looked good.

W

Sioux have some work to do to clean up the mistakes. Next up Idaho. Go Sioux!!

It was weird watching a #6 quarterback for the Sioux hit his receivers in the hands and between the numbers....He wasn't spectacular, but if you're a Sioux fan you can't be upset with the QB play.

I am hoping that they are saving some of the playbook for Idaho, and I am hoping that Garman will be a part of that. Being that it was only the first game, I will hold judgement until I see how and when he is used. A win is a win, so there is something to build from.

Lots of you are forgetting that this offense we were facing is not one you can blitz. They get rid of the ball too quick so blitzing only puts us in a worse situation. What I expected was to finally see the corners jamming some receivers. That didn't happen.

Offense: Same undisciplined unit we've watched the past few years. Too many stupid penalties. Same lackluster playcalling except for a hurry-up play that got us a first down. (and one toss down deep that I thought was going to pay off - looked like Harmon got a little held up) Some good running and passing off and on - lots of TERRIBLE catch attempts. Jeez-louize.

Defense: What can I say - they held them scoreless. It sure seemed, though, that Drake could gain 5-10 yards pretty much at will with the pass. Again - dreadful flashbacks of last year.

Special teams actually looked pretty good.

So we won - 50% of teams have a losing record after the first game, so I guess I'm happy. A 16 point sloppy victory isn't quite the springboard I was looking for.

But what the hell - we're undefeated. :D

Lots of you are forgetting that this offense we were facing is not one you can blitz. They get rid of the ball too quick so blitzing only puts us in a worse situation. What I expected was to finally see the corners jamming some receivers. That didn't happen.

It actually seemed that when we did some of the best was when we blitzed, too many times with a 3/4 man rush the Drake QB had plenty of time to look around. We blitzed, got pressure and forced him to either run for minimal or no gain, or else force a tougher throw then he wanted.

Our offense was just totally vanilla and lackluster for the most part. Sutton ran hard and the line gave him some good holes to go through. Miller looked good as well. Right now we are a run-first team but we all expected that early in the season and the hope is that Bradley develops and gets a better feel for the pocket. Several times he moved out of the pocket and put unwarranted pressure on himself. Yes he didn't make any bonehead turnovers or try to force the ball anywhere, but some of the sacks were on him and not the offensive line. I think he shows promise, but it's still going to take some time to develop him.

Hopefully we see more in the Idaho game and they get pumped for it. Hopefully Mussman opens up the playbook some and gets creative.

Sutton ran well (4.4/carry); Miller ran extremely well (7.5/carry). Bradley had a decent first game (no ints., good decision-making, very few poor throws) and his stats would have been better were it not for at least two dropped passes, including one in the end zone. I think he has a lot of upside once he settles in and gets some experience. We had too many penalties and they hurt us a lot, including costing us a touchdown. I agree that the D was much more effective when it was blitzing and we need to do a lot more of it. You can't have an effective pass defense if the quarterback has time to pitch a tent in the backfield. Overall, a satisfying win, but we need a lot of improvement as we head into the two FBS road games.

Well, if others are going to break stuff down.... :lol:

Defense: I know it was against an offense that throws a lot of quick hitters....but I still like pressure....wish they would have blitzed more. They get a B.

Offense: The receiving corps gets a D for the drops, and some poor route running. The running backs get an A for no fumbles, and hard nosed running. Bradley gets a B+ for effective decision making, and his accuracy with the football.

Special teams: Miller goes 4-4 on kicks....good for him. His first one would have been good from 50+....Coverage was okay, almost gave up a huge return on a kickoff. Punting was pretty good as well....A-

Offensive MVP: Mitch Sutton, I feel safe when he has the football, runs hard.

Defensive MVP: Brenneman and Hendrickson. Brenneman for the two sacks, Hendrickson for being all over the play and leading the team in tackles.

Special teams MVP: Zeb Miller, good game from the kicker.

• Upvote 1