SiouxSports.com Forum

Drake

bincitysioux

This is an important game for North Dakota. Coming off a horrid 3-8 season, the Sioux must go out with guns blazing and treat Drake like our 2007 team would have, with a 45-7 beat down.

I really like the scheduling of this game. It is nice to get a home game against what really should be a program that North Dakota should beat before back-to-back FBS games. Drake is no push-over, they are one of the better non-scholarship programs in FCS, but IMO, when things are the way they should be, North Dakota shouldn't really have trouble with any non-scholarship program. We need the chance to develop a rhythm, not just for a game, but for the season.

If we come out and struggle, and eek out a win by a narrow margin, or worse yet lose................that could make the season another long one. Win big, like we should, and it should build confidence for the rest of the way.

There are alot of question marks at quarterback, running back, and in the secondary. This is a good game to have some of those questions answered.

I'll say:

38 North Dakota

14 Drake

Part of me says come out and pound them with the running game to let our young QB settle down....the other part says come out and throw the ball all over the place because there is no better way to get him into the game.

I'll say UND 52......Drake 21. Bradley has a HUGE passing day, sprinkled in with a defensive touchdown or two.

Maybe I'm just being unreasonably optimistic, but on paper I really think we should see a big improvement this year:

-a more accurate quarterback;

-a bigger, more experienced and deeper o-line;

-legitimate threats at receiver to complement Hardin;

-more speed on defense.

I don't know what to expect from Drake, other than USD beat them pretty badly two years ago 51-21. I would like to think UND should be able to win with a similar score, but who knows?

Maybe I'm just being unreasonably optimistic, but on paper I really think we should see a big improvement this year:

-a more accurate quarterback;

-a bigger, more experienced and deeper o-line;

-legitimate threats at receiver to complement Hardin;

-more speed on defense.

I don't know what to expect from Drake, other than USD beat them pretty badly two years ago 51-21. I would like to think UND should be able to win with a similar score, but who knows?

I completely agree, I have been feeling very optimistic about this football season.

I completely agree, I have been feeling very optimistic about this football season.

I too am feeling very up about this season in spite of the lousy schedule. I think this is the year that Muss has to show he is a D1 coach by handily wiining games we are expected to win and being very competive in the FBS games. Being .500 or better in the GWFC is a preference/need also. Barring tremendous injuries etc. if this team is not 7-4 or better then UND needs to look at the overall program and staff and the direction we are heading. This transition has been very trying to an old alum like me who is used to winning at any level. That said, I think a win vs a non schollie team even as good as Drake by 14-17 pts is entirely acceptable if we play well early which was not the case in some recent stinkers.

I too am feeling very up about this season in spite of the lousy schedule. I think this is the year that Muss has to show he is a D1 coach by handily wiining games we are expected to win and being very competive in the FBS games. Being .500 or better in the GWFC is a preference/need also. Barring tremendous injuries etc. if this team is not 7-4 or better then UND needs to look at the overall program and staff and the direction we are heading. This transition has been very trying to an old alum like me who is used to winning at any level. That said, I think a win vs a non schollie team even as good as Drake by 14-17 pts is entirely acceptable if we play well early which was not the case in some recent stinkers.

The NAIA games we need to destroy the opponents, the FBS games if we win we win and if we lose lets not get blown out like Idaho did to us. We need to win the FCS games and show the BSC that we intend to make conference life hell and we are not the new Idaho State of the BSC.

I, too, sense that we're a greatly improved team this year but, in reality, we're picked to finish last in the Great West and we have a fairly tough schedule, outside of the three non-DI teams and possibly Drake, so I think anything 6-5 or better will be considered a decent season, with anticipated further steps in the right direction next season as our freshmen, rfreshmen, and sophs come of age.

I guess I would like to see a signature win sooner or later, much like our win against Northern Iowa a few years backs going up a division. Beating a team such as Nothern Illinois or Idaho like we played last year, or someone up just a level, would put the program in the right frame of mind with the confidence that will help us be competitive in the Big Sky.

I, too, sense that we're a greatly improved team this year but, in reality, we're picked to finish last in the Great West and we have a fairly tough schedule, outside of the three non-DI teams and possibly Drake, so I think anything 6-5 or better will be considered a decent season, with anticipated further steps in the right direction next season as our freshmen, rfreshmen, and sophs come of age.

This season IMO will be a success if we win the Great West with either a 4-0 or 3-1 record. I don't care about the FBS games too much as only NDSU fans cares a lot more about those wins than their own conference wins. As for being picked last thats understandable 0-4 last year and only 3 wins all season its time for a turnaround and this year is the beginning and next year.....playoffs!!!! BTW hasn't UND comeout with a 2011 football video? I saw it on Youtube for 2010 and earlier but no new one yet.

I guess I would like to see a signature win sooner or later, much like our win against Northern Iowa a few years backs going up a division. Beating a team such as Nothern Illinois or Idaho like we played last year, or someone up just a level, would put the program in the right frame of mind with the confidence that will help us be competitive in the Big Sky.

Considering the fact that Fargo State hasn't beaten UNI yet with a full allotment of D1 schollies makes our win in 2006 against UNI as a D2 school that much more impressive.

But you're right, we need a signature win against a FBS school.

Just goes to show the potential we have as a FCS school. We still have a lot of room for improvement. That's the promising part. We are sitting pretty far below our "ceiling" still. Exciting.

Considering the fact that Fargo State hasn't beaten UNI yet with a full allotment of D1 schollies makes our win in 2006 against UNI as a D2 school that much more impressive.

Just goes to show the potential we have as a FCS school. We still have a lot of room for improvement. That's the promising part. We are sitting pretty far below our "ceiling" still. Exciting.

Just keep in mind South Dakota State hasn't beaten an FBS team yet and they made the playoffs, so is a FBS win really a need? I would focus on conference and FCS wins over FBS wins anyday.

The NAIA games we need to destroy the opponents, the FBS games if we win we win and if we lose lets not get blown out like Idaho did to us. We need to win the FCS games and show the BSC that we intend to make conference life hell and we are not the new Idaho State of the BSC.

Agreed about the NAIA games. The starters need to be out of those games by the second quarter. Especially against Black Hills State or whoever it is.....

Agreed about the NAIA games. The starters need to be out of those games by the second quarter. Especially against Black Hills State or whoever it is.....

Exactly. We need to be up 35-0 or so by halftime like we used to do with Crookston. I just hope there are no injuries in these "crap" games.

Just keep in mind South Dakota State hasn't beaten an FBS team yet and they made the playoffs, so is a FBS win really a need? I would focus on conference and FCS wins over FBS wins anyday.

Darell, you may not care about the signature FBS wins and that really doesn't matter.

What does matter is that recruits think it's a big deal.

Darell, you may not care about the signature FBS wins and that really doesn't matter.

What does matter is that recruits think it's a big deal.

Would you rather win 4 games all year but 1 of those wins be a FBS game or win 9 games and 6 of those be FCS wins. Recruits look more towards conference wins and FCS wins than if you can beat Idaho or Fresno State. If FBS wins were so important why doesn't UND schedule as many as they can?

I drove up to Cedar Falls for that UNI game and am I ever glad that I did! It's one of the best college football games that I've ever seen; I think that there were 4 lead changes in the last 5 minutes. As I remember, Dressler scored the winning touchdown late in the game on a quick hitter over the middle or into the flat that went all the way (70 yds. or so?). What a game.

Would you rather win 4 games all year but 1 of those wins be a FBS game or win 9 games and 6 of those be FCS wins. Recruits look more towards conference wins and FCS wins than if you can beat Idaho or Fresno State. If FBS wins were so important why doesn't UND schedule as many as they can?

I guess I didn't know I had to choose one or the other. I never said I would choose a signature FBS win over FCS and playoff success.

All I am saying is that it matters to recruits more than you give credit for.

A signature FBS win plus FCS success is a bonus no matter how you look at it.

I guess I didn't know I had to choose one or the other. I never said I would choose a signature FBS win over FCS and playoff success.

All I am saying is that it matters to recruits more than you give credit for.

A signature FBS win plus FCS success is a bonus no matter how you look at it.

I think the FBS win is a bonus not FCS success.

I think that in nearly all situations, an FBS win shows you have a heck of a team, and the FCS success is a given, so why even have this argument?

I just think IMO that an FBS isn't as important as a successful FCS season. The FCS wins are the ice cream and an FBS win is the chocolate syrup, and I think recruits look more towards the success of a seaon than the success of 1 game against Idaho.