SiouxSports.com Forum

Drake

bincitysioux

It actually seemed that when we did some of the best was when we blitzed, too many times with a 3/4 man rush the Drake QB had plenty of time to look around. We blitzed, got pressure and forced him to either run for minimal or no gain, or else force a tougher throw then he wanted.

Our offense was just totally vanilla and lackluster for the most part. Sutton ran hard and the line gave him some good holes to go through. Miller looked good as well. Right now we are a run-first team but we all expected that early in the season and the hope is that Bradley develops and gets a better feel for the pocket. Several times he moved out of the pocket and put unwarranted pressure on himself. Yes he didn't make any bonehead turnovers or try to force the ball anywhere, but some of the sacks were on him and not the offensive line. I think he shows promise, but it's still going to take some time to develop him.

Hopefully we see more in the Idaho game and they get pumped for it. Hopefully Mussman opens up the playbook some and gets creative.

The defense played well enough to shut Drake out, but I agree with the point about the blitzing. When they blitzed, the Drake QB had a much more difficult time, than when the Sioux brought 3-4 men at him.

Defensively I think what most are getting at here is pressure. Yes Drake gets the ball out quickly but that doesn't mean you can't pressure him. The only thing that disappointed me defensively and its due mainly to my own expectations. I was hoping they would have enough skilled athletes in the secondary to press in man to man on the edges to throw off timing and allow for more pressure up front. Maybe they do and they just did't show it, but I didn't see it.

Need to see much improvement the next two weeks, but glad they started out with a win.

The defense played well enough to shut Drake out, but I agree with the point about the blitzing. When they blitzed, the Drake QB had a much more difficult time, than when the Sioux brought 3-4 men at him.

They are especially going to need to blitz against the scholarship DI teams. There is no way they're going to get pressure with 3-4 guys against an Idaho or a Montana State. I'd rather get burned on a blitz than watch a guy stand in the pocket the entire game with a clean uniform. Not sure if there is much they can do either way against Pat Hill and Fresno State.

There is a poster on this board (can't remember the name :lol: ) who talked once about the phases of a passing play, affecting the launch of a pass so it wouldn't get to the completion stage. It was like watching a completely different defense when they blitzed. When the Drake QB had time he completed passes, when he was flushed the defense was able to get off the field quite a few times.

Thoughts from the game.

Offense

-Happy with the QB play. When he got time, Bradley was effective, threw an accurate ball and made good decisions.

-RB's were great. Ran hard and each made the most of the opportunities given to them. I too would have liked to see Garmen more but when you have a back averaging over 7 yds a carry and the other at nearly 5 you have to stay with whats hot I guess.

WR's/TE's, CATCH THE BALL. McGill looked good, he may be able to complement Hardin but we could use a third.

OL- I'm guessing next week we are going to see a ton of blitzes cause we sure didn't do a good job of picking them up. I'm sure film will put some of those on the QB but either way, I suspect there will be more next week.

Defense

Front 7- Its a shutout. I don't agree with the earlier comments about being a bend but don't break. Bottom line was we didn't make plays. We blitzed a fair share, had good pressure and than lost contain. Their QB made some plays when he got out of the pocket. I'm also guessing next week we see some rollouts and bootlegs. Bottom line is we have to make the plays when given the opportunity and holding contain is part of that. I taped the game last night and I don't think I'm being unrealistic when I say the opportunity was there for 5+ more sacks we just didn't convert.

Secondary- We've always had problems with the quick 3 step and last night was no different. We had some breakdowns in coverage but one thing I will say is that our secondary is pretty physical and last night made sure tackles. Next week will be a test, no doubt about it.. Hope the boys are up for it.

Special Teams- 3 for 3 on FG's, blocked FG, nice punt return on first punt, some big hits on kickoff cover, and some punts that pinned them deep in their territory. Overall I would say a pretty good debut for Kotelnicki's group.

Overall- A win is a win. This game should have been won by a wider margin than 16-0, if we made some plays. No one has anything to be satisfied about and I'm still thinking about a 40 point loss from last year to Idaho that should be on everyone's minds. And, I'm just really glad the season is finally here.

I think the defense played decent enough. Still need to be more aggressive imo. I'm also beginning to become very frustrated with the offense Mussman wants to run. Its just so vanilla. And don't say its only the first game cause thats exactly how it was last year. UND needs to start being more aggressive. Your not gonna beat anyone in the Big Sky playing run and dump football. Spread the field vertically and open up the underneath stuff more and try to get that 8th man out of the box. And for god sake Mussman stop pulling your freshman's redshirts if all your gonna do is have them watch from the sidelines.

I disagree, if we are physical enough we will do very well in the Big Sky. Unless we have the athletes, spreading it out will play right into the teams in that conference.

Lots to work on, maybe its first game jitters. We did have a +2 in turnovers and that is great keep the penalties down (we had 12), and catch the ball (that drop in the EZ hurt) and we should be okay. Muss has 2 extra days to get the kinks out and perfect this team.

From what I've heard, Seth Nichols could have a big impact this year as a receiving threat at TE, and he was held out last night with an injury of some sort. Hopefully he can be back by the Idaho game, which could really help the passing game. If you put Hardin, McGill, Townsend and Nichols out there, that's four pretty good weapons for Bradley to throw to.

Did anyone listen to the game on the radio? How was Jack Michaels? I listened to some pregame on the way to Grand Forks and I really like him as the voice of our team. His pregame interviews were great but I'm curious as to thoughts on the play by play.

I think the defense played decent enough. Still need to be more aggressive imo. I'm also beginning to become very frustrated with the offense Mussman wants to run. Its just so vanilla. And don't say its only the first game cause thats exactly how it was last year. UND needs to start being more aggressive. Your not gonna beat anyone in the Big Sky playing run and dump football. Spread the field vertically and open up the underneath stuff more and try to get that 8th man out of the box. And for god sake Mussman stop pulling your freshman's redshirts if all your gonna do is have them watch from the sidelines.

+1

Lots to work on, maybe its first game jitters. We did have a +2 in turnovers and that is great keep the penalties down (we had 12), and catch the ball (that drop in the EZ hurt) and we should be okay. Muss has 2 extra days to get the kinks out and perfect this team.

I'm gonna give more than 2 extra days for perfection. ;)

My thoughts:

Defense: A

I thought the D played great. Had a take-away (nearly a pick 6), held them scoreless, gave up just 43 yards rushing, and recorded 5 sacks. Seems like they had plenty of pressure.

Offense: C+

No turnovers. Should have scored minium of 10 more points if not for Anderson's drop on 3rd down and Daggett's drop in the end zone. Way too many penalties. Felt the O-Line should be able to push around a team like Drake a bit more.

Special Teams: A+

Zeb Miller 3-3 on FG. Cameron with a punt downed near the 5. Blocked field goal. Great return by Mersereau. Several head popping hits.

Crowd: B-

Dissapointing showing for a season opener. But the ones that were there made their presence known. Great turnout by the student section, hope they keep that up.

Overall: B

Nice to get a win to start the season, especially before back to back FBS games. Would have rather seen a more convincing win against a non-scholarship program, but we were mostly limited by our own mistakes, not because of what the opponent was doing. Bradley looks to be a huge upgrade over last season. Throws a good ball, and made good decisions. At times, almost felt he was too cautious though. He looks like a quarterback, rather than an athlete playing the quarterback position. Depth at wideout may continue to be a problem behind Hardin and McGill. Love the new "vanilla" offense. Balanced, with no gimmicks. Keep it simple, stupid. No reason to go away from the run when it is working. Defense was superb. Other than a couple coverage breakdowns, they harassed the QB, stuffed the running game, had an INT, and held Drake scoreless.

I would have rather seen North Dakota come out and blow this team away, but what I did see is a team that looks improved from last year, but still has alot of room for more improvement.

I read the last time the Sioux lost a home opener was in 1986. I was at that game it was the 67-44 thumping to Texas A&I (now Texas A&M-Kingsville). With a streak like this can we get a FBS team to come to Grand Forks. :D

Both Johnny Baily and John Randle played in that game for TAMUK.......................

Did anyone listen to the game on the radio? How was Jack Michaels? I listened to some pregame on the way to Grand Forks and I really like him as the voice of our team. His pregame interviews were great but I'm curious as to thoughts on the play by play.

I turned the game on coming home from an event and he was fantastic

And for god sake Mussman stop pulling your freshman's redshirts if all your gonna do is have them watch from the sidelines.

I see it similar to freshman at UND in hockey. It's going to take them more than a couple weeks of practice to get used to the speed of the game. We're also an injury away from him playing significant downs.

Perhaps coach sees he has potential to be used as a surprise option in game 2 and didn't want to show his hand right away. There are plenty of reasons to take a redshirt off, and there are plenty of reasons to not play said freshman. We don't know them, but I'm going to guess coach does.

Another year of Muss and his offensive staff having the offensive unit play with handcuffs on. Give fans something to come to the stadium to get excited about offensively. Vanilla is being kind after the offensive scheme/plan from last night...and the year before, and the year...

• Upvote 1

Another year of Muss and his offensive staff having the offensive unit play with handcuffs on. Give fans something to come to the stadium to get excited about offensively. Vanilla is being kind after the offensive scheme/plan from last night...and the year before, and the year...

Like others have said maybe he is going to show everything next weekend against Idaho. Don't want to show the Vandals all we have, and this way keep them guessing.

A couple points:

1. TV broadcast: Sweeney and Mac Schneider. I like these guys but they were an absolute snooze fest. No excitement what so ever. First game of the year -- show a little enthusiasm.

2. Our uniforms -- boy do we need uniforms. Lets get some style and please put the damn names on the uniforms.

• Upvote 1

Still questionable at QB.....Not enough situation awarness....too many sacks on 3rd and short........Seems like when he did scramble he missed the openings and found more trouble than he was avoiding. A few times he had plenty of room to get back to the line of scrimmage instead of losing yards. The D was giving him time and some openings he just didn't seem to be using them it wisely.........And penalities.......... You can't get in the end zone by starting in the red zone and working your way backwards........ A win but sloppy................

A couple points:

1. TV broadcast: Sweeney and Mac Schneider. I like these guys but they were an absolute snooze fest. No excitement what so ever. First game of the year -- show a little enthusiasm.

2. Our uniforms -- boy do we need uniforms. Lets get some style and please put the damn names on the uniforms.

It's been mentioned before, but what's with the faded pea green color - the uniforms are horrible - that's not Sioux green