SiouxSports.com Forum

The Meeting

darell1976

The fans need to get moving on and let this issue die.......Football season starts in less than a month. Find your pride on the field and cheer for your school.

Said like a true Bison fan. I hope they come calling for NDSU's name next.

This whole thing is a complete joke, the NCAA jsut wanted to push around a school from North Dakota to show they still have power. Lord know big schools never get what is coming to them. I wish they would go after Notre Dame, but the NCAA makes to much money from them and money is all the NCAA really cars about.

I have to say this all sucks, you anti people on here (fans of goofers/bifoons make me sick, the only happiness you get is from misfortunes of your rivals, (because your team sucks, mainly goofs)!

BUT, I love the idea of UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA NORTH STARS!!!!! STARS STARS STARS, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STARS!!! I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!

In my heart Fighting Sioux forever!!

This whole thing is a complete joke, the NCAA jsut wanted to push around a school from North Dakota to show they still have power. Lord know big schools never get what is coming to them. I wish they would go after Notre Dame, but the NCAA makes to much money from them and money is all the NCAA really cars about.

Not much chance of that.......but if you like to think so.....have at it. I am not quite sure how you get Bison as hostile and abusive......probably your mind is a little clouded given the current firestorm. ;)

As for the NCAA forcing UND to have a nick name........I just cannot even imagine that happening. Yes, I can see how one could rationalize about hostile and abusive nicknames......but how on earth could an argument be made that having NO nickname is a problem for anyone. If the NCAA tried to do that I would join the protests myself.

If UND has the nickname dealing with the color green could they have Brian Bennett draw another Indian logo and use it with the name Dakota?? I know its a long shot but just curious, I mean its on our road signs, NDHP cars, and there is imagery on the state seal.

I share your sentiments but does anyone really think that those neer-do-wells will stand for being left out of the process? This is where we alumni and fans really need to let our voices be heard, just like Sicatoka said, or we'll wind up with some completely lame-ass name.

This is why we need to get out on the fore front and head this off...

If UND has the nickname dealing with the color green could they have Brian Bennett draw another Indian logo and use it with the name Dakota?? I know its a long shot but just curious, I mean its on our road signs, NDHP cars, and there is imagery on the state seal.

I thought Ben Brien drew the logo?

[/quote

I love it "Put the state highway indian head sign on the front of the Jersey(in black or white depending upon traveling or home jersey)" and fill it in with the UND logo in Kelly Green. No new nick name, just call ourselves "The University of North Dakota". This way we keep part of our tradition.

My understanding is that the school must have a new nickname and is allowed only 1 or 2 years to simply use North Dakota. I could be wrong though.

I don't know if there is any date cast in stone, but I would think 1 to 2 years would be a good time frame. Nokotas or Fighting Spirit are my two top ones yet, although North Stars and Nordics would rank right up there.

I don't know if there is any date cast in stone, but I would think 1 to 2 years would be a good time frame. Nokotas or Fighting Spirit are my two top ones yet, although North Stars and Nordics would rank right up there.

The "Spirit" name is being used by two other universities and the "Norse" are being used by several as well. The North Stars wouldn't be bad but it seems to have to much Minnesota connotation attached to it ( I do like the name). We need something original, something that no other school uses or will likely use. I kind of like the Out Laws, Aviators (Aves), and Roughnecks, none of these names are in use. But let's be honest, everything sounds like crap when comparing it to the Sioux. I'm still in denial that a few people would think that the positive national exposure UND gave to the Sioux was abusive and hostile, they have honestly done these people a serious disservice. I honestly feel bad not only for us but for the tribes as well, time will show that this was not a victory.

Looks like ND Sioux voters are going to get screwed by the caucasions again. Well hopefully this will be the start of anti nicknamers (caucasions and NA's alike) to rid the reservations of chronic alcoholism, unemployment and violence. God Speed to you all.

Good question brought up. Does the NCAA require that a team have a nickname? I think of course the ND logo will stay with the university, but I think it would be absolutely terrible if the university wasn't allowed to just be the University of North Dakota.

If they do select a new nickname I hope it offends somebody....some way....somewhere. And I hope whoever it offends writes a letter to the NCAA, or protests on the campus of the University of North Dakota. Heck, the minority won this time, why not again?

Good question brought up. Does the NCAA require that a team have a nickname? I think of course the ND logo will stay with the university, but I think it would be absolutely terrible if the university wasn't allowed to just be the University of North Dakota.

If they do select a new nickname I hope it offends somebody....some way....somewhere. And I hope whoever it offends writes a letter to the NCAA, or protests on the campus of the University of North Dakota. Heck, the minority won this time, why not again?

This is what confused me about the settlement and I'm still not clear on:

"If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo, or if the transition to a new nickname and logo is not completed prior to August 15, 2011, then UND will be returned to the list of institutions subject to the policy."

http://www.ag.nd.gov/NCAA/SettlementAgreement.pdf

Is that just an assumption by the NCAA that UND will automatically choose to use a new nickname as they transition away from the old one or is that forcing UND to choose one?

If they do select a new nickname I hope it offends somebody....some way....somewhere.

I'm pretty sure myself and at least 50,000 other people are going to be offended when the jersey with the new logo and nickname doesn't match the ones hanging in our closets, but like everyone else I'll bite my lip and support the guys representing the University of North Dakota whatever they end up being labeled.

I would like to see a committee of alumni and current students formed to come up with about a half-dozen possible nicknames, then have the alumni and students vote by mail-in ballot what the nickname should be. It's their school, they should have the voice.

As long as the new nickname is within the rules of the NCAA of course. :glare:

I agree with goon. The nickname opponents should get 0% say in the new name if there is one. It doesn't matter what the new name is, I will hate it.....And it better not have any type of affiliation with any race of individuals because I don't want the schools name to get drug through the mud again and again.....Which is why there should be no new nickname. Although the fighting Norseman would be cool, but that is hostile and abusive to my Scandinavian heritage...(Wait......)

This ruling won't stop me from wearing my sioux attire to all UND events. Its not like the NCAA can tell me what I can and can't wear to a sporting event.

I've put out enough notions for possible monikers in other threads. I won't repeat myself here.

PS - Whoever had "less than 2.5 hours" for the meeting length with the NCAA ... oh, wait ... everyone with a clue knew the meeting would last less than 2.5 hours.

Allow me to say it again:

"L'Etoile du Nord" -- "Star of the North" is the state motto of Minnesota.

Why would North Dakota use that.

Plus the North Star is used as a consecrated symbol for certain religions.....don't want a lawsuit there either....

Actually the NCAA went after a bunch of schools including the Utah Utes. But the Tribe basically told the NCAA to take a hike and mind their own business that they supported the use of the name.

Problem was that the settlement required that two tribes to agree on the use of the Sioux Name. Not smart.

I was hoping that UND would prevail with the tribal vote because I hate the NCAA and the PC bull crap. Damn shame IMO.