SiouxSports.com Forum

The Meeting

darell1976

I think most of us are just going to be happy that the controversy is over, though I think that I will always have a bitter taste in my mouth.

As far as going forward, I agree with most of the posts that I've seen in that we should not have a logo other than "University of North Dakota."

On a side note, I figured that someone would throw out nicknames such as University of North Dakota "Spirit Lake" Fighting Sioux or "North Stars"

...nothing would upset the Minne more than taking their beloved logo, and arguably my favorite logo of all time...2nd to ours, of course...

And neither do the caucasion nickname supportors!

Yes, but you're still you. Is the victory really a victory for you with so many other obvious problems facing you in the mirror every morning? The Fighting Sioux nickname isn't going anywhere. Oh sure, it may be off of the team uniforms but what will people be cheering in the games and what will they be wearing? That's right: "Fighting Sioux."

Yes!! I told u all this day would come! Took a bit longer than i thought but we are victorious.

The sad thing about this is the will of a majority of Native Americans living in North Dakota was thwarted (fourwindsboy, you are in the minority here); a logo and nickname that actually brought visibility, honor and respect to the Sioux will now vanish, and there will be a backlash against the Tribes all because leaders from Standing Rock wouldn't allow their members a vote. You should be proud of your "victory."

The sad thing about this is the will of a majority of Native Americans living in North Dakota was thwarted (fourwindsboy, you are in the minority here); a logo and nickname that actually brought visibility, honor and respect to the Sioux will now vanish, and there will be a backlash against the Tribes all because leaders from Standing Rock wouldn't allow their members a vote. You should be proud of your "victory."

What people don't realize is the people that could start the backlash is from Spirit Lake. We could have an Indian vs Indian war on our hands.

If there is backlash then it will prove my point and further show the need for the name to be dropped.

Yes!! I told u all this day would come! Took a bit longer than i thought but we are victorious.

You win, now the Sioux can be forgotten about in time. Realistically other than the Fighting Sioux Logo, what else do you have that can offer positive national recognition? the answer is nothing, you win so now it is time to forget that the Sioux people even exist. You asked for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the settlement have something in it about selecting a new name after a certain amount of time? I thought the NCAA wouldn't allow just the university name only.

I don't think the NCAA would care if a school has no nickname, but for some reason I also seem to recall that there was something in the settlement saying UND *will* choose and implement a new nickname. Could certainly be wrong though.

You win, now the Sioux can be forgotten about in time. Realistically other than the Fighting Sioux Logo, what else do you have that can offer positive national recognition? the answer is nothing, you win so now it is time to forget that the Sioux people even exist. You asked for it.

I guess this means you will not honoring them no longer and hold them in such high regard as you claim to now.

UND could choose its new nickname to be no nickname. I believe that is within the spirit of the agreement. The athletic dept, however, is foaming at the mouth because they believe this is an "opportunity" to make money from the sale of new merchandise "featuring" a new logo and nickname. Because, you know, it's all about the Benjamins.

Hey, if the Athletic Department can come up with a logo and nickname more original, more representative of the state of North Dakota,more an embodiment of our sports teams, and more respectful of our native people's heritage than what we have had for the last 10 years, I will be the first in line to buy merchanidse. Until then, I will wear my Fighting Sioux gear until it falls off my back.

I am more than willing to give them the opportunity to use their imagination in that task. I await the results.

I'm not sure I really feel comfortable with a committee of nickname opponents selecting our new nickname.

I honestly think that the nickname opponents should have no role in selecting the next nickname and why should they? They got what they wanted so it

• Upvote 1

UND could choose its new nickname to be no nickname. I believe that is within the spirit of the agreement. The athletic dept, however, is foaming at the mouth because they believe this is an "opportunity" to make money from the sale of new merchandise "featuring" a new logo and nickname. Because, you know, it's all about the Benjamins.

For some reason I thought they gave a time limit on finding a new nickname to keep the university from choosing to officially not have a nickname allowing the retired one to stay as the "unofficial" nickname.