SiouxSports.com Forum

The Meeting

darell1976

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/212595/

The meeting was to start at 2 p.m. Indianapolis time, but Dalrymple said he was hoping they could get it started early. The delegation has a flight scheduled back to North Dakota later this afternoon

Gee what's the hurry Jack?? Do you only have a bill to repeal.

The bell tolls . . . .

A sad day. This thing jumped way off track way too long ago. Mistakes were made by many in a position to bring either reason or force to bear on the issue back in the days when there was time to strategize and stand firm.

Today, the bell tolls. The NCAA's tyranny prevails in the guise of so-called wisdom.

• Upvote 1

N. Dakota ready to drop Fighting Sioux

After spending more than an hour with NCAA president Mark Emmert on Friday in Indianapolis, Gov. Jack Dalrymple said the NCAA would not change the settlement agreement that goes into effect Monday. If the school doesn't change its nickname, or get permission to use the name Fighting Sioux from a second tribe, it will be banned from hosting postseason tournaments and using the nickname or logo at NCAA tournaments.

Dalrymple says he will introduce a bill Nov. 7 transferring authority of the nickname and logo back to the school. Earlier this year, the state legislature passed a law requiring the school to use its current nickname and logo.

Where it belongs. Transfer control, change the name, move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really feel like this policy is going to end up back firing on the natives. When this name gets changed and people start seeing those logos pulled down there is going to be a lot of angry people that are going to hold the natives american population responsible. Not saying its right but when people lose something dear to them they do dumb stuff. Just a fact of the world we live in. In some ways I'll be happy the controversy is gone, in other ways I hope that Standing Rock comes to regret their decision in the future. Overall, as a current UND student and follower, its a very sad day. :(

I really feel like this policy is going to end up back firing on the natives. When this name gets changed and people start seeing those logos pulled down there is going to be a lot of angry people that are going to hold the natives american population responsible. Not saying its right but when people lose something dear to them they do dumb stuff. Just a fact of the world we live in. In some ways I'll be happy the controversy is gone, in other ways I hope that Standing Rock comes to regret their decision in the future. Overall, as a current UND student and follower, its a very sad day. :(

I think the blame should go to the Political Leaders. I don't blame the Native Americans.

The NC$$ doesn't give two shiats about the "natives".

this clearly puts the onus on the people that have been complaining about this nickname for years. the days of blaming a sports team nickname for the plight of an entire nation of people are over. its now time for them to actually do something that would benefit their people. make a difference and make lives better.

what a sad day.

So does the name go away ASAP? What jerseys will the hockey team use this year? The name won't be able to be retired until at least Nov 7th when the bill passes giving power back to UND.

Look at the brightside to all of this. The Gophers and Badgers won't be able to hide behind the nickname excuse when not scheduling UND.

Tough day, but one we knew was coming. This is the world we live in now.

All the more reason to fight against this sort of hypersensitive, quasi-psychological chicanery so that the tide starts turning away from this business. All of this "I'm offended because the sky is gray today" is completely insane.

I say once the nickname is gone the fan base needs to start doing the tomahawk chop and have a white guy dressed up as a native american with warpoint on a horse throwing a spear into the turf. When the NCAA asks what is happening on our campus, we just respond that we thought that was the way we would be able to get the nickname back -- because it appears to have worked for Florida State! They probably still wouldn't understand the hypocrisy.

I say once the nickname is gone the fan base needs to start doing the tomahawk chop and have a white guy dressed up as a native american with warpoint on a horse throwing a spear into the turf. When the NCAA asks what is happening on our campus, we just respond that we thought that was the way we would be able to get the nickname back -- because it appears to have worked for Florida State! They probably still wouldn't understand the hypocrisy.

The spear is on fire....maybe thats what makes it okay? Or the fact that the guy dressed as a native american tries to intimidate whoever it is that Florida State is playing.

The NCAA may say that the University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX has to change their nickname,BUT they will always be the FIGHTING SIOUX TO me. I have enough Sioux Apparel that I will wear it until my dying day. The NCAA needs to spend more time keeping an eye on schools that cheat than to harass small schools about their nicknames. THEY WILL ALWAYS BE THE FIGHTING SIOUX TO ME. I AM PISSED OFF ABOUT THE DECISION BUT NOW IS THE TIME TO RETIRE THE NAME! ALWAYS THE SIOUX! i never thought I would hear myself saying this!

It's so awesome to know that by dropping this nickname and logo, we can solve so many problems and the world will be such a better place. I can't wait to see the results.

Sorry, couldn't help myself again. A VERY sad day indeed, but unfortunately necessary.

The NCAA is such a frickin' farce.

We are the and always will be The University of North Dakota!.....(Fighting Sioux)