SiouxSports.com Forum

The Meeting

darell1976

As one gets older, one begins to repeat oneself:

UND Community > Sioux Name > Media Stories on the Sioux Name

#481511 DamStrait

Group:Members

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

We may on occasion be beaten, but we will never be broken. We are North Dakota.

Although I appreciate the sentiment, the legislature has waited too long. A couple of years ago would have been nice, but even then, with constitutional issues and if it had no impact on the actions (or inactions) of Standing Rock, it still would have gone for naught. The deck was stacked against us as soon as the NCAA became unjustly and officiously determined to meddle in that which was not their concern. Goliath slew David

I've put out enough notions for possible monikers in other threads. I won't repeat myself here.

PS - Whoever had "less than 2.5 hours" for the meeting length with the NCAA ... oh, wait ... everyone with a clue knew the meeting would last less than 2.5 hours.

I wonder if the NC$$ had the courtesy to allow them past the reception area.

I have said for a while now that we are either "The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux" or we are "The University of North Dakota". If the NCAA doesn't like it and tells us to choose a new nickname, just simply say we had one but you took it from us. Like others have mentioned earlier, there isn't a nickname out there that could ever replace "Fighting Sioux" and whatever may be chosen I won't like anyway. And if the school believes that a new nickname and logo will increase apparel revenue they're illusional. Just walk into the Siouxshop before a game or during an intermission and tell me that some new name and logo is going to outsell "the greatest logo of all-time".

I have said for a while now that we are either "The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux" or we are "The University of North Dakota". If the NCAA doesn't like it and tells us to choose a new nickname, just simply say we had one but you took it from us. Like others have mentioned earlier, there isn't a nickname out there that could ever replace "Fighting Sioux" and whatever may be chosen I won't like anyway. And if the school believes that a new nickname and logo will increase apparel revenue they're illusional. Just walk into the Siouxshop before a game or during an intermission and tell me that some new name and logo is going to outsell "the greatest logo of all-time".

It likely won't outsell Fighting Sioux, but does no nickname sell, as well as the roll out of a new nickname?

Sica has said it before, control what is yours to control. Get on board with choosing a new nickname or someone will choose it for you.

It's now made the front page of cnn.com. Here is the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/14/north.dakota.mascot.fight/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I didn't read all the responses(567), but it looks like most of the country is in support of the Fighting Sioux nickname. We know the majority of Native Americans are in favor, most all Americans are in favor...how does the NCAA get away with what their doing? :sad:

I didn't read all the responses(567), but it looks like most of the country is in support of the Fighting Sioux nickname. We know the majority of Native Americans are in favor, most all Americans are in favor...how does the NCAA get away with what their doing? :sad:

It all started because the NCAA wanted 1) A power move to show member colleges and univerities that they were in charge and 2) Whether or not they still agree with their original decision, they do not want to lose face or appear weak. Unfortunately a few schools including UND are the whipping boy for an outdated PC issue.

DEMOCRACY is a form of government in which all eligible people have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Don't see that happening with this issue. I'm as upset as anyone with the name change, but the people of Spirit Lake & Standing Rock must be furious.

One give away from the meeting is that our ND delegation was rather weak in confronting the NCAA. I understand the deck was stacked against them to begin with but to go to the NCAA headquarters and spend one hour basically listening to the NCAA dictate to us is really shameful. I should state that I don't know what happened during that one hour meeting but it certainly didn't bold well for UND and North Dakota. The way in which this has been handled from the beginning just makes me want to fight it even more. I would love to donate some money to a law firm to sue the NCAA for discrimination against UND. Of course though I don't want the university to be hurt by this any longer and the outlook is more and more looking like no Fighting Sioux any longer. Truly a sad day for UND and North Dakota.

DEMOCRACY is a form of government in which all eligible people have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Don't see that happening with this issue. I'm as upset as anyone with the name change, but the people of Spirit Lake & Standing Rock must be furious.

sorry, whatever gave you the idea that the NCAA was/is a democracy?