SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Scariest part of this list ... It appears Kelly will make the final decision.

The nickname committee has been selected. 17 people, four of them alumni. I'm not sure what the demographics of the other 13 people are but I'm hoping the majority are students. Their job is to submit nickname candidates to the president who will have the final decision. Should be an official announcement next week.

The team anticipates submitting its recommendations to UND President Robert Kelley by the end of 2014. While the Task Force is not charged with making a final nickname and logo selection, President Kelley welcomes all final outcomes and recommendations from the Task Force’s work."

So how many committee folks are of the anti-Sioux crowd?

I thought the objective was helping pick a name everyone can be proud of? Is it possible that the nickname was really so unimportant that anti-Sioux nickname folks really couldn't care less what the new name is?

Honest question: would there be a committee that you wouldn't be upset and b!t%h about?

Edited to add: I am just trying to say that nothing is perfect; sometimes you just have to accept the situation and have faith. I personally am pleasantly surprised by the number of current and former athletes on the committee who are absolutely familiar with the history and tradition of the Fighting Sioux name.